does anyone else have dealer issues?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is the dealer that says husky doesnt sell saws in the US with epa mufflers, and what does most every new husky have.... epa muffler! so sorry if i have no faith in the dealer here, because they are ignorant. they carry the 372 fuel tank but no bolts, or air filters, or anything else that would normally be needed for a popular saw. they carry the whole husky line. i am not saying all dealers are like this by any means and i am not bashings any dealers on AS.

Yeah, it really sounds like this guy doesn't know what's going on. ALL saws in the US have to be sold with an EPA approved muffler. And 372 air filters are a must stock item IMO.

I get my Stihl parts from our local Dolmar/Husky dealer.
He stocks more Stihl parts than the local Stihl/Echo dealer. :bowdown:
His shop has been here the longest (bout 38 years) and he caters to owners of all saws. Without a doubt his shop has the largest customer base on the mountain.

if you do not like it, then order from on line, you expect a dealer to supply you, when you feel like it. you know how many saws are out there and how many parts are on those saws....... stock consumables, and some hardware, but a cylinder and piston can stay on the shelf for a day, week, month, year, or just never sell. if i need parts for a project, i order ahead of time and not wait for the last minute. these dealers are hear to make money and they do not do that by stocking a lot of parts that might never be needed.

A word to the wise.......which I'm afraid doesn't apply to many posters in this thread. :dizzy:

There are some simple rules in business that guys have to follow to stay in business. A very important one regarding stocking parts is that a part has to sell at least 3 times a year in order to justify stocking it. I still get people stopping in my store looking for some old Cub Cadet part that I've NEVER sold. Some folks think you should have every part ever made, but that's simply unrealistic.

In evaluating saw dealers, look around the store. A guy that is just a homeowner type shop, and hardly even stocks the pro saws is going to be pretty weak on his parts inventory. A guy like me that has a healthy pro and serious user business is going to have a ton of parts around. My guys are going to need plenty of it, and they wouldn't be coming to me if I didn't have it. I stock a lot of parts, because I sell a lot of parts. It's not just over the counter sales; you need to have parts in stock in order to keep repair work flowing through the shop.

But that inventory is geared towards the pro models, I sell a dozen 372 tanks and 20+ top handles a year, but I would never stock those parts for something like a 142 because the demand isn't there. Same applies to non-current pro models like 288's. Just not that many out there. But they are only a day away, and I order from Husky 3 times a week. We're not talking an organ donar program, we're talking chainsaws. You'll survive if you have to wait a day or two.

Even I wouldn't have scored 100% from the original post. For instance, I stock all of the external hardware, cause that's what guys use and lose. But something like the carb bolts are simply not something that can wear out or ever get lost. So it's not a part to stock. Same would apply to cylinder bolts. Guys here on the site are generally far more capable in doing their own work than the average Joe, and when you get deep into a project, you're likely to need a few parts that hardly anyone is going to stock.

As an example, when the OP gets into that bottom end rebuild, you should plan on ordering seals and bearings ahead of time. Bottom end rebuilds are hardly ever done in shops anymore since they are so costly time wise, so parts for such jobs are not likely to be in stock at even the best shops.

One thing that makes me cringe is when some dealers bang their customers for a shipping charge for a part that is riding with the store's regular parts order. That is indeed a ripoff. BTW, I only have to hit $100 and my Husky parts orders are freight FREE. A smaller dealer might have to hit $250 if he didn't participate in the pre-season parts program. Keep that in mind the next time a dealer tries to wack you with a shipping charge for a small part.

A special order is one that is placed solely for a partuicular customer, and in that case the customer should cover the shipping.

As usual, very well put Bob and from experience..

It's like what you said, my husky dealer just doesn't have a clue.

He has prolly a 100 ft wall display of everything Husky makes, just got new displays that look like timber, his old stuff prolly wasn't three years old. He stocks virtually every saw Husky and Stihl make, his Stihl display is just like the Husky one a 100' wall with everything Stihl, his service area is equipped with all the big roller bearing drawer cabinet's about six foot tall. I would hate to even think how much he has tied up in saw inventory and all the misc stuff each mfg makes, plus all his fancy cabinets, it's prolly the nicest looking shopI've every been in. They just don't carry common parts, he sells only safety chain. The staff which is three or four just standing with their thumbs up their azzes most of the time arejust a bunch of idiots.
The old stihl dealer I love going to has all the pro saws and all the best selling homeowner saws, the shop is in the back, just a big old worn bench and the parts bins are cardboard boxes. Usually just one tech, no counter person. You ask him for a part, if he is deep in a saw, the answer is like, third shelf from the right, 2nd box from the left, just get it, tell them 3.00 up front.
It's why I like dealing with individually owned and operated shops, chain store operations just don't get it.

From a small time repair guy. I can understand not keeping alot of inventory. I cant afford to keep everything I might need to repair a saw. If I order it twice I go ahead and get few of them.

I am lucky I suppose, I have sorta had to work at building a reputation with my local dealer. I try and bring the part numbers in with me, sometimes I forget. He just lets me go and look them up for myself on the computer. I have learned if I dont absolutely need it to allow him to order it with his regular order. That saves me the freight.

I am sorta learning as I go, it used to upset me when getting stuff would take so long. I just prepare the customer for a little longer wait. Then I get to surprise them when I get done sooner.
Having a "just in time inventory" , what its called in all those fancy productivity classes I had once, is a reality of the world we live in.

Sorry for going on...I think you have to cultivate a good relationship with your suppliers. Dont get upset and let it get personal. You might be surprised at the outcome.

i went to my local husqvarna dealer yesterday to get some if not all the parts i needed to finish my 372xp and my uncles jonsered 2071
so i told the one tech that works there what all i needed bolts, carb, carb boot, bar plate, bucking spikes, and some other odds and ends. so he got on the computer to look things up. after a half hour of him looking on the computer and in the back room he came back out with a few bolts and nothing else. said he would have to order everything else. WTF! they are a dealer, authorized repair center and small engine repair and they dont have nothing in stock! so now i have to wait a week for everything to come in. anyone else have these problems?

Typical consumer, I bet your dealer has not sold any of those item in the past 3+ years. So why would he even stock them? Having too much in stock eats up your inventory and cost them money at the end of the year in taxes. Here is a picture of poor dealer inventory control. There is probably $1000-$1300 in parts that Stihl will not take back.

P1010993.jpg

Last edited:
There is probably $1000-$1300 in parts that Stihl will not take back.

Those parts would be on EBay just before tax time comes along

You need to try Tommy Hall, if you want a great dealer, he keeps the most common parts around not only for saws but for trimmers and blowers too. What he doesn't have he can usually get in three days.
I ordered a air filter for a 041 farm boss, he ordered 3 of them just to have them in stock and it only took 3 days.

The other guys are right, it is hard to keep everything in stock, but they should be able to get the more difficult parts in just a few days.

There is probably $1000-$1300 in parts that Stihl will not take back.

Those parts would be on EBay just before tax time comes along

You are 100% correct. That is why I brought them home. They have been sitting in stock for years.

Latest posts

Back