does anyone know where or how to grind carbide teeth

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stump-dude

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
now i know people are going to tell me to get a green abrasive wheel and grind my sandvik teeth that way, but after doing that for 10 teeth(took over an hour, was covered in green grit and wore down a complete disk) i have to find a better way, since i have almost 200 teeth that need to be reworked. if anyone has an easier way or knows of a commercial sollution i would love to learn more and may even start offering a service to other stump grinders in the area.

stump grinder, 4012 carlton kubota diesel 800hrs

I think you techinque is suspect. I get 12 sets of sharpenings for my SC252 on a green wheel. Did you grind the steel in the back first with a grey wheel? Wear a mask? The dust is annoying I agree. It takes a little practice. But for 6 or 8 sharpenings its worth it for a set of teeth. I havn't tried the new ones (Greenteeth etc) yet but may in the future. Have a few other things to buy first. Good luck..... Mike

I don't know if Sandvic are round or not, but if they are you can use both a drill press and a bench grinder.
With my setup I have a large drill press and the bench grinder mounted to the drill press table. They are lined up such that when a tooth (red series 1100 greenteeth) is chucked in the drill press, you can lower it down directly onto the top of the bench grinder diamond wheel. Turn both the drill press and the grinder on together, hooked to a timer. I sharpen one tooth in about 2-3 minutes. Also, I hooked up a shop vac with suction directly at the grinding tooth. That dust is not good to breath.
If you want to see a diagram go to the greenteeth website. Good luck.

Carbide teeth

Go to this web site: Accu-finish and order a bg wheel in 60 grit for your bench grinder. Works great on my vermeer stump grinder teeth.i have sharpened hundreds of teeth and it is still not worn out. Not as much of a mess as the green wheel. When i can't sharpen them anymore i send the to get re-tipped in florida. Hope this helps.

i too grind down the steel on the back of the tooth, then hit the carbide with the greenwheel. And yes, a mask is a plus, that dust won't help you, thats for sure. I have sharpened hundreds and just about to replace my green wheel for the first time. That, or bring them to a machine shop, but it'll cost you.

I sharpen all my own Sandvik teeth like Mikecutstrees does. Using a gray wheel grind the mild steel back on three sides so it is smaller than the carbide will be after grinding. Use green wheel for carbide only. I've thought about counting how many teeth get sharpened on one green wheel, haven't done it yet, but it must be at least 150.

Anyway, there is a guy out of Gresham, Oregon who has this posted on Craigslist. I haven't used him since I do my own, but maybe it would work for you????

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/grd/1975131930.html

Stumper63

Latest posts

Back