Does anyone use antifreeze to sanitize your saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeclimber101

UNCLE BUCK
Reaction score
I've always used lysol but that stuff is expensive antifreeze is more readily available for me and half the price. What are your thoughts ?

I make my saw wear a condom...and take a shower afterwards...no sanitation needed! :D

huh?!? antifreeze you say, what are you doing with the saw that you have to (sanitize) it?

:agree2:

And why would you use antifreeze, because it has alcohol in it? Has a lot of other stuff in there I wouldn't want on my saw, hands, or anything else as well. Not to mention what a PITA it is to dispose of.

And why would you use antifreeze, because it has alcohol in it? Has a lot of other stuff in there I wouldn't want on my saw, hands, or anything else as well. Not to mention what a PITA it is to dispose of.
I don't know i always used lysol but that stuff ain't cheap and anti. is more available to me and is much cheaper disposal is cheap as a matter of fact i throw it in with waist oil and they buy that from me . I was just wondering if anyone used it . I hate condoms lol

Hmmm Don't quote me on this but that Purple Power stuff I bought from autozone seems to me would do the trick. Anything that can disinegrate grease sludge and has to be diluted should kill any bacteria. I wouldn't use it as a spermicide in a comdom though:laugh::blob2:

You know I"v never sanitized mine. I suppose they have them wood germs crawling all over them. I do slosh gas all over them when I overfill though.

I would be worried about disposing of the antifreeze.

Is rubbing alcohol any less expensive?

Why sanitize? Cut a diseased tree on one property then go to another property & pass the disease to a healthy tree.

Good for you on sanitizing.

I would be worried about disposing of the antifreeze.

Is rubbing alcohol any less expensive?

Why sanitize? Cut a diseased tree on one property then go to another property & pass the disease to a healthy tree.

Good for you on sanitizing.
Thats job security your right , thats funny but i try when we trim fire blight you should sanitize after every cut.

You know I"v never sanitized mine. I suppose they have them wood germs crawling all over them. I do slosh gas all over them when I overfill though.
i'm sure that gas also does the trick for the saws but pole clips and shears, i like to at least soak them . Its the right thing to do.

50% bleach 50% h2o, generic bleach is cheap.

10% bleach and 90% H2o is enough for sterilization. Buy a heavy duty spray bottle from your local hardware store and be prepared to replace it every 4-6months. Artistree

Bartlett did a study where they TRIED to spread fireblight with tools. No infections.

if lysol is busting your budget maybe there are other cuts to make...

i'm sure that gas also does the trick for the saws but pole clips and shears, i like to at least soak them . Its the right thing to do.

Yes you are correct. It would protect someone elses tree and you in the event of a cut. I would think some kind of cheap alcohol would do the trick and be safer to use.

Bartlett did a study where they TRIED to spread fireblight with tools. No infections.

if lysol is busting your budget maybe there are other cuts to make...

No its not busting the budget its just a pain in arse because we always forget it in the morning, but we always have antifreeze of some kind , I didn't know that about that bartlett test, i think the guys steal the bleach and lysol for the house lol

Thats potent enough?

Treeclimber101
10% bleach is the standard in the food industry sterilization process.
I figure if they are confident in killing salmonella etc. it should be good enough for the next crabapple I thin and shape.
Artistree

The only reason I could think of doing this would be because of dutch elm disease.
I've done it with my spurs but never a saw though.

EEEWWW! Like that is soo nasty, like, like really. Like gag me with some oozing sticky volital substance. One drop will spread a mile and never dry, we would have to get the hose out.

NAGI= not a good idea ?

Bleach? You will be dead in about an hour, go ahead if you want to though but don't expect me to even show up. Spray bottle with rubbing alchohol. A lot of home dis-infectants only have 1% bleach, it works but man if you can take that all day... Bleach- its not that good for you.

Back