Does anyone use antifreeze to sanitize your saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about some Madd Dogg 2020?

Mogen David can cause one to power puke up to 10 feet....it also makes the snow colorful:) Back in the early 80's I was about 13 and drank a couple bottles of mad dog 2020 it wasn't a pretty site. I left a trail in the snow all the way home. could never stomach that stuff after that. I bet I resembled poltergeist as I stumbled down the road

AntiFreeze

just thought I would put my 2cents in here.I know what antifreeze does to dogs and cats when they lick it up from careless radiator changes,at least the old mixes.What about the residue you leave behind on the ground,seems like an open invatation to death or suffering for natures animals
Lawrence

Last edited:
just thought I would put my 2cents in here.I know what antifreeze does to dogs and cats when they lick it up from careless radiator changes,at least the old mixes.What about the residue you leave behind on the ground,seems like an open invatation to death or suffering for natures animals
Lawrence
Yea thats a real good point , you need to be careful , I read that it is a substitute just an option feedback seems to point that stick with bleach or alcohol stay away and i think the red is fully biodegradable but i may be wrong, when I read it I didn't believe it , my question has anyone ever used it .

The alcohol in the antifreeze would probably do the job. The only thing is if you could deal with the sticky. I would also think that a homeowner would not find to kindly to the guy cleaning his saw with the antifreeze that the truck is dripping on the driveway. Why not try to use denatured alcohol in a spray bottle?

I don't sanitize my saws, but I do dip the bar and chain in hydrogen peroxide after every cut: if I slip and cut myself, the wound is already sterilized.

anti-freeze or ethylene glycol is poisonous. because it's sweet tasting, ethylene glycol is a threat to animals.

no way I'd clean anything with anti-freeze!

I agree on the 10% bleach solution. Thats high enough for propagation of cuttings where any infection could prove fatal so its easily enough for limb pruning on an established tree. ( Cheap too!!!:kilt:)

I've always used lysol but that stuff is expensive antifreeze is more readily available for me and half the price. What are your thoughts ?

I can't imagine why I would ever need to "Sanitize" my saw.
I sanitize other items, (Like my medical equipment) by washing it it warm soapy water, rinse, then either spray or dip in a solution of 10% bleach and 90 % water. Rinse again with clear water, and let it air dry.

treeclimber101, You still have not told us why you sanitize your chainsaws?? Allthough you might have OCD?
I do about certain things..... but you have got to be the only one here, that uses Lysol on your chainsaws LOL...

Apart from the "why" of sanitizing a saw, I doubt that antifreeze would do the job.

It's ethylene glycol. So far as I am aware, it doesn't have any antiseptic or fungicidal activity. It is he11 on kidneys, so don't think about drinking it.

Bad for mammals, probably harmless to plant pathogens.

Back