Does Appearances Matter In This Industry?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihlRockin'

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have a buddy who is a tree service business owner, but also does work for others as an employee. He downsized his operation over the years chasing other things and is now back in it again. While talking he tells me in his own business his appearance means little. He has a thick mustache, a pointed thick ungroomed pointed beard, long hair and wears a bandanna. I on the other hand normally have short hair, smaller groomed 'stache and no facial hair or beard.

We got to arguing about the importance of it, grooming habits and the cleaner look and quickly realized he has no issues with his "appearance". I've always adopted the idea and see it all over the place, but the cleaner more "professional" look is the way to go in business. Now I've had employees who looked as rough and it bothered me some because it doesn't make the crew look professional when they look like a sentence-to-serve bunch of inmates. LOL! I helped the problem by offering shirts that are the same color along with matching hard hats... and try to get the guys to wear Levis in a lighter to normal blue color. It offers uniformity, better appearance and better than wind-breaker pants... as some have worn. The shirts I offer along with what I wear are short sleeved polo or golf shirts. They have the collar and have about 3 buttons up front.

What are your opinions and experiences about keeping up appearances to present a more professional image? Do you think having the traditional clean look is important in our profession?

What sort of experiences have you had in either scenario that might shed light on the situation?

StihlRockin'

in work like a tree service, a polo might be a little extreme, but i would say clean shaven with a company t-shirt and blue jeans would give a professional appearance.

Ya, I think a professional appearance is important. I have my crew wear matching T shirts and blue jeans (the dark blue hides soil and oil better).
It goes farther than dress code though. Clean well maintained trucks and equipment. Nice bid sheets and invoices. Any way that you can set yourself apart from the competition.
Of coarse, some customers will seek out the cheap rundown company, thinking that is where the bargain will be found.

I think it is important. Especially where I live in the conservative bible belt. I wear my hair short but I do wear a neatly trimmed beard. I think a beard is OK for a tree guy. Hey look at Paul Bunyon. :D

Also, people here don't like tats. Now I have nothing against them and have thought about getting one when I retire but for now I'll stay clean cut and try to talk like the man on the 6 O'clock news.

Not an issue with my crew. One of them was Army for 8 years and a Master Sargent and the other one is a country boy from GA with short hair like me. I also have a clean cut young guy that the women seem to adore. Plus my dad works with me a lot. I don't think I've ever seen his hair over 2 inches long.

I think it is important. Especially where I live in the conservative bible belt. I wear my hair short but I do wear a neatly trimmed beard. I think a beard is OK for a tree guy. Hey look at Paul Bunyon. :D

Also, people here don't like tats. Now I have nothing against them and have thought about getting one when I retire but for now I'll stay clean cut and try to talk like the man on the 6 O'clock news.

Not an issue with my crew. One of them was Army for 8 years and a Master Sargent and the other one is a country boy from GA with short hair like me. I also have a clean cut young guy that the women seem to adore. Plus my dad works with me a lot. I don't think I've ever seen his hair over 2 inches long.

Ya mean he has hair man I gotz to get me some rogain:laugh:

I agree with what is said above. Theres a fine line. You dont need to wear a suit and tie, but if you walk up looking like a total slob smelling like bo (at the beginning of the day) etc even if you do quality work people will still be hesitant to recommend you .

Same hear. I try not to go look at jobs in dirty, sap covered pants and saw dust falling out of every crease in my body (unless it's a neighbor etc.) I call it "working class professional" Clean blue jeans, clean-ish boots, shirt with co. name on it, shirt tucked in, and a belt. To me at least, if you look more professional they are less likely to argue about the price. If you take pride in yourself, they'll assume you take pride in your work too. Read that some where.

I'v had people compliment me on a professional look. Many seem to take a person more serious if they are dressed for what they do, but are presentable when they are there.

My pet peeve is the heavy metal concert shirt and dirty ripped-up jeans, old camo utility pants run a close second.

I may not trim my face every day, but my clothes are serviceable and thy look like sturdy work ware. If you look like a garbage picker; do not complain when the public treats you like one.

Appearance is very important. If you can't sell yourself, you can't sell the job.

Logo marked polo shirts, long sleeved polo shirts, and logo marked bomber jackets. If you're not wearing them after I've gone to the expense, go home, and while you're there take that earing out of your tongue.

If I'm consulting with a client dress shirt, and nice slacks or khakis. Occasionally straight from work with a fresh polo, and more deodorant (very occasionally).

I wanted to expound more on his appearance...

I don't have a problem with long hair, as I've had several guys work like that, but they had it combed and tied back. My buddy, he let's his flop every where and is constantly messing with the bandanna to keep his hair in order.

Facial hair don't bother me much either. In fact, some guys pull the look off quite well. My buddy, his looks like 3 week old uneven growth as his cheeks don't have as much follicles per square in, so it's sparse.

The beard look actually looks cool to me on some guys, but their beard is groomed, looks clean and shaped well. My buddy, his looks like a pointed bush at the point of his chin looking like he's going to play a role as some homeless person begging for change.

I have a small mustache groomed and see others with thicker too, but our 'staches are very presentable. My buddy, I've seen dripping boogers land in his, along with food, etc and he just wipes it off with the back of his hand and wipes it on the side of his pants. It's so thick parts of it curl into his mouth and others jut into his nostrils.

I also bring this up because he noticed he didn't get many jobs last year as compared to in the past. It's not my place to comment on his appearance and all, so I just let my comments rest with me. It's interesting that he gets asked for his insurance certificate much more than me though. LOL!

StihlRockin'

I worked in NJ for a guy in 95' and it was clean shaven every day (sm mustach was ok) or go home. I climbed over houses worth $$$ when I was with him. It was a very clean cut biz and we always had work in the high society.

LT...

Snotcicles in the stash are just something that happens when it is cold. When I am in the tree, yeah, I use a sleeve. Most people understand that part of it.

I do keep several "clean" shirts in the truck, so that I have something to change into if the need arises.

I worked in NJ for a guy in 95' and it was clean shaven every day (sm mustach was ok) or go home. I climbed over houses worth $$$ when I was with him. It was a very clean cut biz and we always had work in the high society.

LT...

I wonder if he has changed his policy.

I am not one for ragged looking clothes and by all means you should wear clothes.

Its all in the eyes anyway. Stuff like that. Language too. I guess when going for high society you have to ham it up so I have to ask: Is this guy who wants a clean shave a ham?

People say " Oh you are growing a beard" I say " No, I just don't shave... very often, its a pain in the ass"
Also the dirt on my pants comes from the Homeowner's property, I have HIS dirt on MY clothes. He should be more concerned about that than I am.

I wonder if he has changed his policy.

I am not one for ragged looking clothes and by all means you should wear clothes.

Its all in the eyes anyway. Stuff like that. Language too. I guess when going for high society you have to ham it up so I have to ask: Is this guy who wants a clean shave a ham?

People say " Oh you are growing a beard" I say " No, I just don't shave... very often, its a pain in the ass"
Also the dirt on my pants comes from the Homeowner's property, I have HIS dirt on MY clothes. He should be more concerned about that than I am.

He's dead now, a massive heart attack, face down into a T-bone steak. For the rest of the crew, they reformed with a new name and I do keep in touch with them. I assume they keep some standards but I think they can keep a trimmed goatee if desired. For me I shave 1-2 times a week. The top is faded so I clip it short. I am a stickler with LANGUAGE if you can't watch your mouth on some one Else's property, you can't work with me!!! I do all of my sales and climbing so the HO deals with me. My main guy is some times ruffer than I but he speaks with knowledge of tree work, and lately he has cleaned up alot. So we are a not a ratty looking group, attitude and language is more important I think.

LT...

I see some guys work shirtless, I don't get it. A friend of mine also climbs shirtless and he is really good. :confused:

LT...

Latest posts

Back