Does bark make a difference?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In your opinion, how much drying time is added by leaving wood in the rounds? I was always told to speed up drying, split it?:confused:

Shipper

Not all that much. Most drying (and moisture absorbing) is done from the ends. That is why you only cover the top of a rick, not the sides. I don't even cover the top but I am in a semi-arid area (SE wa).

My starting procedure is two normal, or 3 smaller chunks on the grate, 2 or 3 sheets of newspaper in the ash pan, open draft, leave ash door open and torch it off. Usually starts first shot. sometimes I have to repeat with the paper. If on a very cold day I will add a sheet of newspaper on top of the wood, torch that and the bottom. The sheet on top warms the chimney and aids in getting good draft going.

Harry K

Good point shipper, i'm not sure.... but i think any one who is worried about to split vs not split doesnt need to worry because their wood will have sat enough to season in the round anyways. What i mean is some one who buys firewood from a firewood guy and doesn't care too much they just buy one day and burn it within a week. Most of us on the site who care/know about splitting and drying, we cut enough wood and have it stockpiled for enough time to dry anyways.

Take er easy

Craig

Good point shipper, i'm not sure.... but i think any one who is worried about to split vs not split doesnt need to worry because their wood will have sat enough to season in the round anyways. What i mean is some one who buys firewood from a firewood guy and doesn't care too much they just buy one day and burn it within a week. Most of us on the site who care/know about splitting and drying, we cut enough wood and have it stockpiled for enough time to dry anyways.

Take er easy

Craig

Yeah. What gets me is the people who see my stock and stop asking to buy wood _now_ when the heating season is already here. I also worked with some who cut their own but wouldn't start cutting until they needed it. Weird. I don't think I have ever burned anything that was less than 1 year in the stack.

Harry K

And if you cut and season enough to sell some ... youre gonna get more $$$ than wood thats been dropped for only a month.

:givebeer:

Latest posts

Back