Does Stihl 009 need bar uide plates?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I was given a fairly nice 009 and since it started and runs nice it got a new chain, now there are no guide plates on the saw currently and it seems to leak a lot of oil out from underneath the bar.
Pioneerguy600

I was given a fairly nice 009 and since it started and runs nice it got a new chain, now there are no guide plates on the saw currently and it seems to leak a lot of oil out from underneath the bar.
Pioneerguy600

Im not a pro, But I do have a 009L. Not real sure what guide plates are either ,but mine leaked alot of oil from that area. I thought it was the pump, but turned out it leaked out of the vent were the cotter pin is, In the middle of the bar. I started setting it on a level surface and the leak disappeared! One thing to, Which you probably know, The 009 oils all the time. That makes for a mess and mine usually leaks out excess thrown oil for a day or so after use, then dries up.:cheers:

Im not a pro, But I do have a 009L. Not real sure what guide plates are either ,but mine leaked alot of oil from that area. I thought it was the pump, but turned out it leaked out of the vent were the cotter pin is, In the middle of the bar. I started setting it on a level surface and the leak disappeared! One thing to, Which you probably know, The 009 oils all the time. That makes for a mess and mine usually leaks out excess thrown oil for a day or so after use, then dries up.:cheers:

The guide plates I am referring to are used on most saws on either side of the bar at the bar mounting pad, some call them chain guides. They are usually made from thin sheet steel with a cadmium plating on them, the IPL that I have does not show them but it may not be complete. The oil pump does run off the crank and maybe something is missing in the oil supply slot, I will have a look see.
Pioneerguy600

Last edited:
The guide plates I am referring to are used on most saws on either side of the bar at the bar mounting pad, some call them chain guides. They are usually made from thin sheet steel with a cadmium plating on them, the IPL that I have does not show them but it may not be complete. The oil pump does run off the crank and maybe something is missing in the iol supply slot, I will have a look see.
Pioneerguy600

Well, I think mine might have a guide plate then, If its what im thinking about. I dont know the correct names, But it does have a plastic type plate on the cover side. I dont know much about saws, but I can post a picture of the inside of the cover if you want.

Well, I think mine might have a guide plate then, If its what im thinking about. I dont know the correct names, But it does have a plastic type plate on the cover side. I dont know much about saws, but I can post a picture of the inside of the cover if you want.

That would be helpful, my saw does not have any type of plate or pad on either side right now.
Pioneerguy600

attachment.php

Thanks for posting the pict of the clutch side cover, mine is the same just the white grey color that Stihl uses on most of their saws, that plastic piece on your cover actually covers up the area that holds the brake springs and mechanism for the chjainbrake if the saw cam,e equipped with one, mine has the chainbrake. I guess the 009 does not use the sheet metal guide plates and I will have to look closer to find the bar oil leak. The saw works really well otherwise and has a good bit of power for such a small saw.
Pioneerguy600

No problem Pioneer! Mine doesnt have the chain brake, But I wished it did at times. They do have decent power for such a small saw, I was surprised the first time I used it.

Now I know what a guide plate is anyways, My 009 dont have one, but my 372 does. Thanks for the education fellas.:cheers:

No problem Pioneer! Mine doesnt have the chain brake, But I wished it did at times. They do have decent power for such a small saw, I was surprised the first time I used it.

Now I know what a guide plate is anyways, My 009 dont have one, but my 372 does. Thanks for the education fellas.:cheers:

We are all in this together, learning from each other, thanks for the replies.
Pioneerguy600

My 009 was my first saw and have done up a couple more, as mentioned before, that plastic cover covers the chainbrake spring and mechanism - all of mine had a chainbrake fitted and am not aware of a version without it.

I have never seen a 009 fitted with any sort of guide plates and have never seen the need for them - the only thing they have is a couple of nylon pads to keep the chain off the crankcase side.

Spud

I think it should have a chain brake and I wish it did since it is sorta a top handle saw. If most of them did maybe I will check to see if I can find a donor saw and put one on. I bought the saw used so maybe it was modified. It says "electronic quickstop" on it and I have no idea what that means but it has never "stopped" while I have used it.

I think it should have a chain brake and I wish it did since it is sorta a top handle saw. If most of them did maybe I will check to see if I can find a donor saw and put one on. I bought the saw used so maybe it was modified. It says "electronic quickstop" on it and I have no idea what that means but it has never "stopped" while I have used it.

Electronic quickstop in Stihl speak means electronic ignition and equipped with a chainbrake.
Pioneerguy600

Latest posts

Back