Does this look like a deal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn`t buy that, your climbing saddle is one of the most important pieces of equipment.
Buy the best and most comfortable saddle you can afford.

Don't waste your money. This is not tree climbing gear. The harness could be used in a bucket, but not for climbing. I don't think I'd trust a used non-working deceleration lanyard. And I'm not sure what that chain saw retractable belt is.:confused:

It's not tree climbing gear. It's a fall arrest harness (for construction workers, bucket truck operators, etc.).
But you could wear it in a tree if you like. :rolleyes:

Sublety was never one of my strong suits....... :cool:

Tower workers and maybe window washers would wear that.
It appears too heavy for a bucket fall arrest harness and it has the front D`s.
g a r b a g e

Thanks Guys

Figures....these guys are tryin to sell that off as a climbing saddle and its not made for trees. I'm glad you guys were able to recognize that for me. Is there anyway I can avoid buying a brand new saddle or do you guys feel that it is more than worth the money to buy one new to have the insurance in knowing that it is going to work 100% properly. I would hate to buy a used one and have the saddle break and I fall out of a tree. That would leave me feeling like this...:cry:

Yeah, it's easy. Just work on the ground for a QUALIFIED tree service untill you can actually identify a tree climbing belt (or palm tree) when you see one. Owning a belt is not going to do you any good if you don't know how to use it (or put it on).

As we say time and again, never buy used equipment unless you know the first user and their work practices.

you can buy a starter harness new for mid 60's. Never cut courners on personal support gear. For that matter, any gear! Like my buddy Tom D. likes to say, if you dont trust it to support your boddy, why trust it in rigging!

I'm not THAT ignorant

The climbing saddle did appear a bit unorthodox compared to the one's that I had been reading about and studying but it said "tree climbing set" so I just assumed it was something of sort I had never seen. Brian....I know that that would be the best thing to do(work as a groundman for a qualified tree service business and then climb) but I simply cant do that. Sometimes the best thing isnt the best option for a given situation. I'm going to do this....mostly because I want to and just a little bit of me wants to do it because a few say it cant be done. I have always been a sucker for doing what cant be done. I kind of live for it. I have faith that when I put my mind to something and give it my full fledged effort I can make it work. I have faith in myself.

Need to liquidate my capital

I have 8,000 dollars in capital but it all sits in one solid object.....my 96 Trans Am. I just need to get it sold so I can not worry about how I am going to pay for this gear. Soon as its sold the gear shopping spree is on!

Re: I'm not THAT ignorant

Originally posted by SpikedSupra
....I know that that would be the best thing to do(work as a groundman for a qualified tree service business and then climb) but I simply cant do that.

At least look up Luke's number and ask him if you can come to one of his jobs and watch him climb for a day. I can't post his last name on the 'net, but you can find him easily if you ask any tree person in Orlando. He's one of the top climbers east of the Mississippi.
If you aren't willing/able to spend 6 months learning, can you afford to spend one day watching what you don't know but want to do for a living? :confused: A person that doesn't have 'time' to learn is usually referred to as DEAD!

Brian

I appreciate your offer to have me watch. I would be willing to go many times to watch. I have considered going on the job with a company called Aspluhnd(sp?) that is located in Daytona Beach(where I am living until I go back to school in August). I was thinking though if it wouldnt be too much trouble maybe I could watch you in action one day. I wouldnt pester ya. I would just want to go to a site and check out what your doin.

please re-read my last post. I never offered to let you come watch me. I'm a lousy teacher. I just know that Luke let me come watch him a few years ago, and he is awesome to watch.

I got ya

I read your first post claerly the first time. I was just curious on what your response would be to me going to one of your sites and watching. My curiosity is now at bay. I will attempt to find this man Luke and ask if my presence wouldnt be minded. You never know though....you migt be doin a job one day and I will be peakin over a fence in the next yard watchin how you do your work!:Eye: :Eye:

I tend to throw things (chainsaws, chunks of wood, 260 lb groundmen with chainsaws) at stalkers.:blob5:

Well in that case

I suppose I will keep away from you while your working for health reasons. Never had a chainsaw swung at my head but I am not about to start. The groundman I may be able to take with no weapons but I wouldnt want to chance it. Luke will have to be my visual aid. JP, we are just having fun....this is way better than it used to be. I'm just happy Brian and I can talk now.:blob4:

Watch someone involved in TREE CARE. In TX, asphlunde does utility work. That means they care for power lines, not trees. Their focus is to not have 100000volts hit them. Trees are way down the line.

I think they get a tax break for employing ex-cons. You might be better off facing brian with his 260lb chainsaw swinging groundman. Many of their crews are just plain scary.

You should work with at least a few different tree companies. Climbing methods and business types vary greatly. You seem pretty keen so you will learn fast. You will also learn to climb fast and efficient as the slowest guy is stuck dragging brush. Do it, even if you think you are too smart for ground work. Coming from academia, I had a hard time gaining respect from other arboristas when I started in the field of urban tree care. respect is earned from logging in hours in the saddle, on the ground, and yes, believeing in yourself.

Nate

ps - Sorry if I offended any utility personnel. I have a great respect for their bravery. My life is too short for that work.

am I crazy?

Is it just me, or does anybody else out there think supraspike digs guys a little bit more than he digs learning the tree biz?

-the wife of budroe

Latest posts

Back