Does this muffler look right to you?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MervMaster

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just got my first 660, it's in great shape overall. My concern is here.

vu3etege.jpg

Does that look right? Is there usually an extra hole in the side of a muffler that looks like its been punched with a flathead screwdriver?

I want to give this guy the benefit of the doubt, so I'm asking here first before I ask him for a replacement.

Thanks for your time.

I am on my phone, but looks like you have a muffler mod to allow it to breathe better. Just make sure it is tuned properly.

Normal---no. The muffler has been modified, which IS normal for AS. If I were you I would bend the piece closest to the cylinder outwards to deflect the heat/exhaust forward. You can already see where the exhaust is burning the case. There are some pics on here of some muffler mods done this way. As previously stated, make sure it is tuned properly.

I would not hesitate to request a replacement muffler...or some $$ back

That muffler mod has got to be the worst I have ever seen - Get some $$ back and buy a dual-port muffler..!!

J2F

I would not hesitate to request a replacement muffler...or some $$ back

That muffler mod has got to be the worst I have ever seen - Get some $$ back and buy a dual-port muffler..!!

J2F

That's what I was thinking. It looks terrible! And it is burning up the plastics. I got it at a decent price but not good enough to have to replace parts before I even run it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

So you bought a used saw that probably runs better than stock and you want some money back?

EDIT: There are no plastics that is affecting. Not the prettiest mm I've seen but not the worst.

So you bought a used saw that probably runs better than stock and you want some money back?

EDIT: There are no plastics that is affecting. Not the prettiest mm I've seen but not the worst.

What about those burns right next to the ugly exhaust port?

I'm not trying to scam anyone out of money, but when I see an ugly hole and some burn marks on a saw I just bought I like to have the right info.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

This is my 660 with deflector. Still has the carbon burns. As Hinerman said bend the back out to deflect better and run it.IMG-20140514-00478.jpg

A lot of the older mufflers had a slit there. They just opened the slit a little more than it was. It will run better and just put a little carbon on the case right there.

So you didn't notice the black mark before you paid him? If you wanted to talk him down on the price, you probably should've done it before you bought it. :confused:

BTW, My buddy's bone stock 440 is blackened in the exact same spot.

My god you guys are so negative. I was just asking a question.

Since I don't possess the knowledge necessary in this situation, I decided to politely ask on a forum.

I guess I won't ask about anything else.

My god you guys are so negative. I was just asking a question.

Since I don't possess the knowledge necessary in this situation, I decided to politely ask on a forum.

I guess I won't ask about anything else.

You asked an honest question. You got honest answers. Knowledgeable answers, too. Stick around...you might not like what we have to say or the way we say it but it's good information.

And your muffler mod? I've seen worse. How do the piston and cylinder look?

I wasn't being negative, but I was being honest. There's probably nothing wrong with the saw, runs better than a stock saw if it's tuned right.

There is a whole lot of knowledge and information on this site that people a lot more knowledgable than me will freely share.

Stick around, you just might learn something. Sorry for the offense!:)

Easy. You were given some very good information. Im just a tad perplexed why you would buy such a machine used without researching a bit prior to purchase?

What's your use? Don't run away so quick.

THIS IS MY FAULT. I sold him the saw and didn't notice the muffler being opened that way. I bought it from a friend and never thought to look at the opening as the saw is in new condition. I made it right with him and refunded him some money so he could get a replacement muffler if he choices.
He was very easy to deal with so lets not run him off. He was just trying to learn like all of us.

THIS IS MY FAULT. I sold him the saw and didn't notice the muffler being opened that way. I bought it from a friend and never thought to look at the opening as the saw is in new condition. I made it right with him and refunded him some money so he could get a replacement muffler if he choices.
He was very easy to deal with so lets not run him off. He was just trying to learn like all of us.

Cool beans..!! - I certainly would have been dissatisfied with that crappy looking muffler...

A monkey from the circus could have done better..IMO..:confused:

Anyways...just good that you made it right...speaks well of your character..!!

J2F

Latest posts

Back