does wood season in winter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you hang your washing out on the line in January it dries, not as fast as it does on a sunny July day but it still dries. Wood is the same.

I agree - but I can't find clothes pins big enough to hold the wood on the line.

Just funnin' - lot's of good advice in this thread. Yeah, four months is pushing it - add it to some dry stuff or add to a hot fire.

You could also try bringing some of it inside. It doesn't get the sun and wind, but it is in a constant low humidity environment, especially if it can be stacked near the stove.

I brought some green red oak inside at the start of last season because I knew I was going to be cutting it close with my dry supply by the end. By March it was close to being totally seasoned, with only a small amount of steam. I was glad I did, since last year was a real killer. I have to do this with most of my "dry" supply as well, because I live in a high humidity area with not a lot of sun time on my property.

:agree2: The big thing about indoors, near the stove, is the temperature. Most any wood I burn spends a couple of weeks or more near the stove; makes for excellent quality- lights readily, burns cleanly. About the time it's ready to burn, the checks/cracks in the ends have essentially closed.

I'd suggest that "seasoning" would if anything be the bio-chemical process of fermentation and whatever that takes place within what were living cells.
Air/kiln-drying is the process of evaporating the remaining water from within and between the cells.
Step into a shed filled with freshly-cut & split sugar maple- like a winery.

what color should a woodshed's roof be?

The clear fiberglass panels would be optimal I would think. It would let a lot of light and heat in. I think black would be more beneficial if the sides were closed in, allowing more heat to be retained.

I stack my wood "bark up" to repel the rain but the bark seems to hold the water longer. I like when the bark falls off or detaches by the time it gets unstacked, at least for my own use and bundling. The loose bark does add up though.

Also, covering the top of every 8-foot long face cord (16") keeps 6.7 gallons of water off of it for every inch of rainfall. Definitely worth covering before the fall rains.

I can't wait for my pole barn to be done in a month cuz it will have a 64-foot x 12-foot lean-to down the entire back side. That's 576' of face-cords (24 full cords)! I won't miss covering with plastic in the fall for sure.

Steve forgive me if this has been covered, but is that lovely lady your wife?

If she was, I probably wouldn't have time for AS :D

Just a random hot chick with a gun found on the 'net.

Besides, would ya rather look at a pic of my ugly mug? It could be arranged, I guess...

If she was, I probably wouldn't have time for AS :D

Just a random hot chick with a gun found on the 'net.

Besides, would ya rather look at a pic of my ugly mug? It could be arranged, I guess...

I will vote for any type of chick. No offense.

Sure about that?
attachment.php

No wonder Slick Willy sleeps around so much if that is what is at home waiting on him.

I stack my wood "bark up" to repel the rain but the bark seems to hold the water longer. I like when the bark falls off or detaches by the time it gets unstacked, at least for my own use and bundling. The loose bark does add up though..

You are right, stacking bark up does hold the water longer, it lengthens the time to season according to the Swedish.
Qouting "The Axe Book"---"Always stack split wood with the bark side down. Otherwise the bark will function like a lid and prevent moisture from evaporating and the risk for mold will increase."

I got a pickup load of ash about a month ago. The moisture was around 36% when splitting. Today it was 18-21%. The funny part is it rained yesterday. Threw some in the furnace and it burned fine with no sizzle.

I don't think rain really does much as far as adding moisture to wood.
Last year me and a friend was steam bending some mahogany for his Chris Craft boat. We were having trouble getting the bend we wanted so we submerged the boards in water for a little over a week prior to bending.
First conclusion was that steam bending after soaking works only slightly better.
Second conclusion was that after about 2 days the boards were just as dry as before soaking.

I got a pickup load of ash about a month ago. The moisture was around 36% when splitting. Today it was 18-21%. The funny part is it rained yesterday. Threw some in the furnace and it burned fine with no sizzle.
Here's an experiment I ran about three years ago. I cut up a green hackberry tree and split it into firewood within a month after it was down. About half of it I stored in an enclosed, unheated garage. The other half I left outside, uncovered. Hackberry is a notoriously slow-drying wood, similar to oak and mulberry.

The uncovered wood left outside dried faster than the wood stored in the garage, which took nearly 20 months to be ready. The wood stacked outside was ready in just under a year.

Some "oldtimer" once told me that wood dries faster if it gets rained on.
Would my clothes then dry faster on the line if I hosed them down a time or two?
John

Latest posts

Back