Does your wood stove create household dust? how much?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Dude Dusting"

I believe the question should be how do you deal with dust?

I personally love my method although my wife thinks I'm nuts.

Also I'm sorry for the long explanation, but I like telling story's.

I wish I could take credit for the awesome placement of our stove, but the truth is it was the only place we could put it. The stove is located in a 12'x13', unheated, poorly insulated, breezeway with 3 doors; outside, house & garage. Prior to the stove installation this room was used as a walk-in fridge in the winter.

What make's this setup "perfect" in my eyes is: It's so close to the garage so bringing in wood is quick & easy. Any bark, dust or ash gets swept right out the garage door daily. As a matter of fact I'd argue that room gets cleaned way more then it did before the stove, making it one of the cleanest rooms in the house. Not to mention the breezeway is 80-90 degrees and the ceiling mounted desk fan keeps the house at a cozy 68-75 degrees. I frequently find my wife or friends just sitting out there on the couch smiling and soaking up the heat.

One of the few problems with this setup is that 90% of the dust settles in this room, it get's dirty quick! To combat this I use a method I "Dude Dusting". About once a month I "Dude Dust" the room. I shut the door between the house and breezeway, open all the windows on the right side of the room, open the door and put a fan blowing out on the left side of the room then fire up the air compressor. With the garage so close it's as easy as pulling down the ceiling mounted air hose and going to town in the breezeway. Thankfully my wife has decorated with items that are tied down or heavy enough not to move when subjected to a 125psi air blast. 10-15 minuets later, dust is gone! Shut the windows & door for a few min and let the room get back to temp then open the door back to the house.

Side note: I have to say when I first installed the stove in the breezeway I though having to push heat though the 32" door was going to be a huge pain in the butt. Looking back now I wouldn't have it any other way. Being able to "separate" the house & wood stove room is amazing. Not just for cleaning. Have a bad draft day and the room fills with smoke, shut the door. Need to clean out the chimney & don't want to loose the heat in the house, shut the door. Want to heat the garage for a long day of saw tune-ups, shut the door & open the one to the garage.

Breezeway.JPG

Defiant Encore with the "advanced house air circulator" on the ceiling. I have to say, it'd look stupid if it was a white fan ;)

Table.JPG

"Dude Dusting" Certified table. Made from a left-over piece of our kitchen counter top & an old cast iron stove base. Non-combustible table, Check.

Latest posts

Back