dogwoods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitchell

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am pretty sure I know the answere but just in case someone out there knows something better... Can a dogwood be seriously or even minorly headed back with out trouble? Customer is set on cutting 25" specimins back to 15 to 20. I think I have them convinced that it should not be done but I said I would double triple check. Thanks Guys
Scott

I think a minor reduction would be acceptable but "heading back" sounds very bad to me. I would not do it.

Eastern dog woods that I have dealt with are very vigerous and withstand a lot of abuse. That being said, cutting tham that far back they stand a good chance of surviving, but it is still bad for them.
Google, trees are good (or just click on the link on one of Treeseer's posts)and click on the article about "topping" trees, show this to the owner.

Scott,

Sunscald would definitely be a concern with such a severe crown reduction.

The other thing is, depending on its location in Victoria, Oak Bay, Saanich, you will run afoul of tree preservation bylaws for cuts as small as 5cm (Oak Bay) to 10cm (Saanich) or "unnecessarily altering" (Victoria) a Cornus nuttali as it is, as I'm sure you know, a protected species in all those jurisdictions.

But if it is well shaded, and in Langford, you still want to alert the customer to the fact that it will produce waterspouts or suckers after a lot of stress, and these shoots are now considered a vector for Dogwood Anthracnose, and will require annual removal untill the tree readjusts.

RedlineIt

agread

I was asked why I was so certain that dog woods could not be headed back. I stated it is ex-current in form making it very unlikely to be able to go through that process without trouble. I could not however say for certain as I have only ever dead wooded a couple before. Thus I said I would check up on it. I believe I have convinced them to keep the trees the way they are anyways. They were wanting to remove them if I would not reduce them for awhile; an ethical dilemma to be sure after all whats better no tree or damaged tree?

Redlineit, I know the native dogwoods were protected but was unsure about the foreign ones. The tree is in central saanich; I don't want to run afoul of the muni arbo's as I have a decent working relationship with those that I have had to deal with.

I reduce eastern dogwoods regularly, when they are in decline or interfering with another tree. Dogwoods' branching habit gives you some good laterals to cut back to so you can reduce a few feet and have it look fairly natural without making heading cuts.

If it's a healthy tree, its regrowth will need thinning. The tree will be very high-maintenance. If the client understands all this, then why not go ahead.

What are their goals?

As always a picture would help a lot.

Hmm, I did kind of just assume they were the Pacific Dogs, didn't I? Well, they are the ones that everyone gets up in arms about, Provincial symbol and all that.

I'm quite certain that amalgamation will remain a pipe dream in these parts, and I must admit I don't get up into Central Saanich much anymore, but you can down load their tree bylaws as a pdf from their website, as you can for all the other feifdoms here. As I recall, Central Saanich won't permit topping or a severe reduction at all, but they have almost no enforcement out on the ground. But, perhaps you read in the newspapers recently where Horizon Landscaping and VIHA have run afoul of Victoria's protection of Itty Bitty arbutus seedlings, poor Colin doing the mea culpas for the media, NOT the kind of advertising anyone needs!

If it's for view or for light to the garden, I've often been able to meet the customers objectives with smaller strategic cuts up in the very top and a good structual prune giving a windowed view and dappled light. Good luck!

RedlineIt

Last edited:
ill try to get pics

thanks for the feadback

I have yet to hear back from them on when they want it done. I'll try too get some pics when I hear from them. Yes the "Balkans by the sea" does get tiring, especially when some regions are so strict with tree bylaws and 5 minutes drive away its a free for all.

Treeseer:
Their goals are not well defined in their minds other then they want things to look good and be safe. They have multiple trees of various type spread around their yard. Would you say dogwood scan be treated more aggressively then other species on average?

topped maples

Anyone -

We have encountered topped maples in our area twice now. The first owner wanted the two-year watersprout growth reduced. I was very hesistant because of the amount of crown removal that it would require to reduce the trees to the degree requested. I suggested that he wait until the trees were dormant to do the reducing but he insisted that they be done NOW. The second set of topped maples have some bark necrosis and, of course, a virulent growth of watersprouts very similar to the first set. This property owner agreed to wait until dormancy. Also, this second set of trees have hollows where large branches once were and there is decay inside of the hollows.

Is there a method of reduction that is less severe for these watersprouted trees?

Was I correct to advise waiting for dormancy?

What can be done for these upward-facing cavities?

Latest posts

Back