Doing work for friends???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adirondackhick

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Ok,
Here it is. A friend of mine wants me do do a BUNCH of cutting, clearing etc. I think he already had an estimate or two and didn't like the prices.... He is a friend, so yes, there is a break in whatever price I will give him... but........ He says he just wants everything down, not to worry about bucking up (he says he will do it) or even stumping. No problem, but I don't think he knows how much brush is involved with 24 plus trees......... I don't want to give a "drop em'" price and then end up losing a friend because I just left 24 trees laying around in a "mess" even with a cheap rate..... I know to make everything crystal clear before any work would start, but people who don't do the work never can seem to wrap the noodle around how much is really involved with $$$ for gear time danger etc... So, take the chance with being utterly clear and just dropping everything, or pass respectfully????? Thoughts appreciated.

The best way to keep a friendship friendly is to keep business, business.

Quote him just like you would anybody else, then take of 10% or 50% or whatever you feel like, but START with full retail numbers. Tell him that's what you're doing. Do a written quote and have a signed job order just like you would for anybody else.

You DO write up a job order for every job, don't you? Signed by the customer, of course.

Yep...a second vote for getting it written up (let him know that will assure your insurance is in play if anything goes wrong if you have it in writing).

I'd help how he wants, and say "There you go. Let me know if you need help cleaning it up, and we can work something out. Of course, that is more labor & equipment intensive so it will be more costly. We can try to make it work for both of us if need be."

sounds good

Thanks Guys,
Yup, I always write everything down with mine and customers signature as to what is stipulated for the work. Thanks for the input on business is business. I just wanted to know what some thoughts were. I plan on a write up Sat. If he agrees and understands prices and work or lack thereof depending on what he wants we will be good to go. Totally agree on dropping like he wants and then offering to buck with or for him for extra if he so chooses.. I just know he is going to crap when he sees the amount of brush:dizzy: Time will tell..... Thanks guys, stay safe!!

Almost invariably, the people that just want the trees dropped and are "gonna clean it up myself" will be completely overwhelmed and want you back. Because of that, if this was my friend, I would price out just a portion of the job. Ie, tell him you'll fell, "these five trees and when you get those cleaned up we'll talk about the rest". After he asks you to come and help him clean up the remainder of the five trees then you can price him a turnkey rate for the remaining trees. That way you don't completely mess up his property and can let him learn what he would be facing with all of them down.

Nothing magic about the #5, just an example of a smaller "bite".

24 trees is a lot of brush so if he is a friend, why not try dropping a few, say 6-7 and see what happens when he cleans up the mess. If he can handle it, go back at a later date and drop a few more and eventually, it will all be down and he won't be overwhelmed like he would if 24 trees were on the ground. I've done work like that with friends and we're still friends and they even paid me for what I did.

:cheers:

All went well. Signed contract, happy landowner, although he was surprised at how much brush there was.... I taught him about everything I was doing along the way... in the tree and from the ground. Got a few other jobs on the way from it due to decent work apparantly. He actually helped out a lot as a groundie, and I knocked what a groundie would have cost me off the $$.
All's well...

I don't work for friends unless they are willing to pay the same price everyone else does, I'm in business to make a living not do charity work for friends, if a friend expects a discount then they aren't a true friend.....

Back