Dolly

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolbrze

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What kinds of dollys do you guys use? We're looking at buying another and are looking for recommendations. Thanks!

The tire on one kept going flat, I so offered to bring mine to work...but it has mismatched wheels, so one is hard and slender to nicely cut into a lawn if there is any weight on it. We agreed that was not an option. Of course, there always is the pink dolly...
...gots to figure out a way to employ those ants, like in the cartoons, that gather under an item and cart it away. Figuring that out would save so much money and time. To the lab, Egore...

I'm building one right now in my welding fabrication class. Where's a good place to get wheels for them? Sherrill wants a whopping 75 bones a wheel for their dolly.

we have a place called harbor freight tools it is kinda a everything tool house.they carry what they call a hay bail dolly for about a hundred.my guys love it we have 2 they have good tires and is very comperable to the one in the sherrill book.

I'm building one right now in my welding fabrication class. Where's a good place to get wheels for them? Sherrill wants a whopping 75 bones a wheel for their dolly.

Call the local small engine repair shop and ask if you can look in their Oregon Product Catalog. Nearly every small engine parts distributor puts these catalogs out, re-labeled with their name on it.

MANY different tire and wheel combinations are available. You can spec the tire size, bearing size, and everything is pretty reasonable. Since it is mostly for the lawn guys, there are a lot of turf tires that could be used that would roll across a lawn real easy.

wheel assemblies are on pages 781-787 in the 2010 catalog I have. I recommend #72-718 wheelbarrow tires in solid foam "flat free" rib configuration. 2.75" wide, 8" diameter (wheel, not the whole tire), it needs a 6" axle and uses 5/8" bearings. A bit large for a dolly, but they will roll so nicely across a lawn. 480 lbs capacity, per tire! About $77 for the flat free, only $23 for pneumatic.

Last edited:
I also use the ball cart. I made a monster dolly for really big wood needs two guys. Go to a local mower shop they usually have tires and rims that were off old mowers that were scraped I got a set of 20's for $20.00. Then got two pillow block bearings from grangers for real cheap and used a one inch steel bar for an axel.

I made one a few years ago and used the front tires off a old garden tractor.......

Excuse me guys; What the #### is a dolly? :confused: Dolly? Anybody leave a dolly around here? I haven't seen one myself.

They mean hand truck:

attachment.php

This is a dolly:

attachment.php

Moving men and little girls have dollies.

And this is a Log Dolly...

http://www.sherrilltree.com/Professional-Gear/Log-Movers/Log-Dolly-868

Here is a link to the Harbor Freight dolly that was mentioned earlier. I have thought about getting one myself. The price is certainly right but you have to be careful with harbor freight. Some things are a bargain and some things you get exactly what you pay for. I don't like that the Harbor Freight dolly doesn't have a flat bottom. Would be better than nothing but there has to be a happy medium between the $430 Sherrill dolly and the $100 Harbor Freight dolly.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa...o?itemid=66171&CategoryName=&SubCategoryName=

I worked next to an old tree guy a few years back who had fabricated his own dolly. We were working right across the street from each other so when we would take five we would chat. He had made an outstanding log dolly/firewood cart. He had oversize 10" pneumatic wheels on both sides of the dolly/cart. He had built it in spec to clear gate openings and he could either tote logs out or carry stacks of fire wood in to be delivered. He had wheels on both ends which could be disassembled at one end when not needed. When he needed to he could add another end as well as his other set of wheels and carry a half a rick at a time in to be delivered. If he was carrying large logs out he could lay the cart and log down and just push it once he got on pavement. With the oversized pneumatic wheels he could go through any terrain. It was the coolest log cart I had ever seen. Made me wish that I knew how to fabricate so I could make my own.

Northern Tool & Equipment

That's where we bought our latest hand truck (it lasted 2 days). The 1st day we bent a rim, the 2nd day we broke the other hub/wheel off the axle :( It was a 700 lb. capacity hand truck and I'd bet we had a 400 lb. round on it.

What kinds of dollys do you guys use? We're looking at buying another and are looking for recommendations. Thanks!

I've grown tired of my inflatable one:greenchainsaw:. Seriously though, I'm saving some "scrap" material and plan on fabricating one that will have some versatility. It is still a daydream though, my OCD hasn't taken over yet. Anyone tried or familiar with a project like this?

I also use the ball cart. I made a monster dolly for really big wood needs two guys. Go to a local mower shop they usually have tires and rims that were off old mowers that were scraped I got a set of 20's for $20.00. Then got two pillow block bearings from
GRANGERS
for real cheap and used a one inch steel bar for an axel.

Graingers is a great place to buy. The catalog is twice the size of a metropolitan phone book. Better yet after ordering we have a store maybe 5 to 10 minutes from my house.

Their crates are the best and my whole gear set up is in those crates.

I use a small dolly to deploy gear in these light, wide interlocking crates of different sizes. Amazingly easy when stacked and dollied to and from the work. They don't fall off because they interlock.

I have and still use a big log dolly but much less since we bought a Dingo mini skid loader.

Some people fill the tires with gel to allay worries of flat tires.

Latest posts

Back