Dolmar 115 bar and chain recommendations...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ppj690

Stihl MS880
Reaction score
Hi Guys...

Thanks for sorting out the problem with the chain brake, now I need your advice on a bar and chain for my 115... 18" 3/8 K095 bar or 16" 3/8 A041 (I assume this also fits)

Or any other recommendations...?!

Thanks

I prefer the K095 mount bars in either 16" or 18" since they are the recommended bars for this saw, the A041 will fit but the chain derails easier with that mount because the tail end is narrower, it drops off at a steeper angle just at its last couple of inches of length.

As far as I know, K095 is the correct mount - and that usually means that a K041 or A041 will not be oiled properly (oil output not in the right place for it).

Thanks guys, K095 it is then... 16" or 18"..? What would the 115 be happier with?

Thanks guys, K095 it is then... 16" or 18"..? What would the 115 be happier with?

All saws in that class are happier with a 16" - but the 72dl .325 18" bars really are only 17" or so - so not a big deal. The 68dl 18" ones in 3/8 is another story, as they are about 18 1/2".

Thanks Saw Troll.. I have a 3/8 sprocket so would need the matching bar... Wanted a Dolmar bar for my CAD, but cant find one so will have to be an Oregon...
Do Oregon do a 16" 3/8 K095 bar that'll fit?

Oregon does have that, but you should be able to get a Dolmar branded one as well (the Dolmar bars are rebranded Oregon ones).

Another option that I didnt mention is the 64 dl 3/8" bars that are called 18" bars, but really are 17", like the 72dl .325 ones.

Look closely at the sprocket on your saw, maybe it is time for a new one anyway?

Good point..! Is .325 preferable to 3/8 on the 115..? If so, I will change the sprocket and go with 16" bar...

Bar length and chain type depends mostly on the type of use the saw is going to be subjected to. The type of wood, hard or soft and diameter of the sticks being cut. I have 16, 18 and 20" bars on my 115`s. The 20" are .325 chisel, the 16 and 18" are both 3/8" and .325 chisel. I use the 20" bared saws for reach and don`t bury the bars for bucking, the 16 in 3/8 and .325 is not noticeable between the two, the 18" bars are a bit more vibration prone in 3/8" than the .325 but nothing to be concerned about, cutting speed again hardly any difference but my chains are never close to dull. Hand filed to super sharp status and kept that way. A real sharp chain in either 16 or 18" and either pitch will work equally as well on the 115 in almost all woods found in North America.

I have had some of mine since the late 80`s and they were worked hard in the pulpwoods, if the AV rubbers are kept clean they last really well, don`t yank these saws out of a pinch situation or the hollow rubber mounts will tear. Oil seems to be the biggest problem to the rubber mounts, I always kept my saws blown out clean each night. I have a few saws I picked up used that had the mounts destroyed by the bar oil but they were using used crankcase oil for bar lube.

Thanks for all the advice guys, have settled on a 16" 3/8 bar but would ideally like a Dolmar branded bar as this is a restoration project of a relatively old saw (1988)
Does anyone know where I can find one..?

it drops off at a steeper angle just at its last couple of inches of length.
12j.jpg
uk4.jpg

Thanks for all the advice guys, have settled on a 16" 3/8 bar but would ideally like a Dolmar branded bar as this is a restoration project of a relatively old saw (1988)
Does anyone know where I can find one..?
Todays Dolmar branded bars doesn't really look good anyway.....

Any links to suitable bars would be great...! Im open to suggestions...
This CAD is getting bad..!

Latest posts

Back