dolmar 420/421

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swenny

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey fellas,been "lurking" on this site for alittle while,got a question for you dolmar guys, whats the pro's/con's between these two models, looked on the dolmar site, the only diff. that i could see was a few ounce in weight and about 50.00 more at the dealers for the 421..the dealer didn't really have an anwer for me{dealer's helper}....anyhow from what iv'e read on this site so far has helped alot, joining the wood burning crowd here soon...thanks

Either one will be a great saw. As far as I know the only difference between them is the cyl, porting differences. Which ever one you got I would get rid of the cat in the muffler. They are very well built saws for the price. They are a touch heavy for the cc's but they run like they are much bigger.

Those saws are priced quite low in the US, compared to the quality - and that is the real attraction with them.

The down side is they are quite heavy for the power output, really weighting too close to some saws that have a lot more power, like the 346xp and 550xp. If you care or not is your choise....

Either one will be a great saw. As far as I know the only difference between them is the cyl, porting differences. Which ever one you got I would get rid of the cat in the muffler. They are very well built saws for the price. They are a touch heavy for the cc's but they run like they are much bigger.
OK, both models have 16" bar,so probably go with the 420, you think this saw will be enough? I'll be using it for firewwod 4-5 cords a season, mostly 12"-18" dia. box elder and ash around here...

More cc's and more power is the major difference between them. Great saws and very well built for the money.

sawtroll-it's all about the" jing" right now,maybe next year i'll have one of them fancy huskys, or a 5105 ha-ha

The 351 does fine with a 16 so if money is tight and your going to buy a bigger saw later on

OK, both models have 16" bar,so probably go with the 420, you think this saw will be enough? I'll be using it for firewwod 4-5 cords a season, mostly 12"-18" dia. box elder and ash around here...
For 4-5 cords a year, I'd want at least a 50cc saw. The 420 would be good for limbing but when you start to buck logs, you'll be much happier with the larger saw.

It will do a good job. A little bigger saw would probably be better. Take a look at the 510, its a little less hp and $ than a 5105 but a good alternative.

I have had a Dolmar 5100s for 6 years. It has been a great saw. I have cut a lot of wood with it. I have a new 421 and have ran it quite a bit the last few weeks. I am very impressed with the quality of this saw. You will not beat the value of the 421. If you try one you will buy one. They almost start by themselves with the easy start. A lot of people think that 10.5 pounds is too heavy for this saw. I say it is the best 40cc saw out and if 10.5 is to heavy for you stay home, buy your wood and learn to knit with the women. :D

IIRC, the 421 has 0.2kW more power than the 420. Other than that, a flat black top cover instead of the shiny one.
From what your described use will be either of these will do just fine, though I agree with the post above about taking a look at the 510.

I have had a Dolmar 5100s for 6 years. It has been a great saw. I have cut a lot of wood with it. I have a new 421 and have ran it quite a bit the last few weeks. I am very impressed with the quality of this saw. You will not beat the value of the 421. If you try one you will buy one. They almost start by themselves with the easy start. A lot of people think that 10.5 pounds is too heavy for this saw. I say it is the best 40cc saw out and if 10.5 is to heavy for you stay home, buy your wood and learn to knit with the women. :D
yeah, i really liked the heft of 420/21...it just felt right-tried out the echo 400 and not impressed...felt cheap...thanks for help guys...

It wouldn't be for me because it's not strato, but the people that have them almost all seem to like them. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, so you have to go with personal experience.

Which ever model you get, try to get a .325 pitch sprocket, bar and chain into the deal. The 3/8 lp safety chain is not ideal for that saw. I found Oregon 21LPX (chisel) worked great with that saw and easier to sharpen. The PS-421 was my first saw, took the advice of member here and got one over comparable Stihl and Husky models. I was only planning on having one saw at the time.

...However I started to cut way more wood than I originally planned and soon after I acquired more saws to try out including a CS2152, CS2153, 346XP OE, MS460, mini mac 10, and a CS-355t. A few had to go, I really liked the 2152, and the dolmar, but like troll says, whats the point packing around the same weight for less power. The mini mac, CS2152, and PS421 were sold. I have to say though, the PS421 has the best anti-vib of the bunch and is well balanced, I just like the acceleration and rpms of the husky/jonsered.

Unless your dealer is a member here on AS your not going to get .325 on a 351/421

Simply put
420 = 2.7hp
421 = 3hp (it's called the 420 sc in Germany)

And I run mine (I have a 420) in 3/8 hobby/lp/picco with Stihl full chisel chain PS3/PS and it just rips with it. And because ST always brings out the weight discussion, I remember the original, without cat, 420 weight to be almost equal to the Stihl 241.
Per online
Stihl 241 = 4.7kg http://www.stihl.de/STIHL-Produkte/Motorsägen/Sägen-für-die-Forstwirtschaft/21902-1582/MS-241-C-M.aspx
Dolmar 420 sc = 421 = 4.9kg http://www.dolmar.de/produkte/benzin_-_motorsaegen/ps-420_sc/index.html

Since Mastermind didn't weigh the saws during his review we will never know the actual numbers. But even Mastermind liked the original 420 better than the 241 unmodified! That says alot!

The real secret about the 420/421 is that it is built like a pro saw, priced for the homeowner.

Simply put
420 = 2.7hp
421 = 3hp (it's called the 420 sc in Germany)

And I run mine (I have a 420) in 3/8 hobby/lp/picco with Stihl full chisel chain PS3/PS and it just rips with it. And because ST always brings out the weight discussion, I remember the original, without cat, 420 weight to be almost equal to the Stihl 241.
Per online
Stihl 241 = 4.7kg http://www.stihl.de/STIHL-Produkte/Motorsägen/Sägen-für-die-Forstwirtschaft/21902-1582/MS-241-C-M.aspx
Dolmar 420 sc = 421 = 4.9kg http://www.dolmar.de/produkte/benzin_-_motorsaegen/ps-420_sc/index.html

Since Mastermind didn't weigh the saws during his review we will never know the actual numbers. But even Mastermind liked the original 420 better than the 241 unmodified! That says alot!

The real secret about the 420/421 is that it is built like a pro saw, priced for the homeowner.

I run the exact same setup.28 cord of firewood logs in 2013.That's just the logs,not the tops or stuff that wouldn't make a decent log that got cut up on the spot.Rough guesstamet 40 cord.Try that with any other 40cc saw.See what you got left when your done.

Back