Options for a cheap, lightweight, (vintage?) backup/trim saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
another vote for MS170 which are dirt cheap new about $160 vs used on craigslist for $125 range.
they are tuffer n nails and dead reliable .. don't let the low price scare you away.
no it's not a rear handled 200T .. keep your chain sharp, odds are you will be pleased.

not too long ago .. just for kicks ..
I purchased saws below just to see how they compared to my 200T

MS170
MS180
MS210

Congrats on the SEZ purchase. I had one for a bit, definitely great saws and probably one of strongest 40cc around...even by today's standards. Also really light and nimble for an old saw.

FWIW, I'm a big 10-10 fan. The old basic black top 10-10 auto is perhaps my favorite saw to run. Not quite as nimble as the SEZ, but I feel it's considerably lighter and handles better than my later 10-10s and pm55 I've had. So even within the 10-10 family there is a bit of variation.

Anyone have experience with a Homelite 240? I could pick one up really cheap.
I have one, $10 garage sale,,, seems to be a lot of plastic,,, but I did a bit of work on it.... Used smaller 16" bar/semi-chisel chain, carb kit, oiler kit, muff mod, to let it breath,, and its been my go-to small saw for years,,, Starts first pull even after sitting a while, and throws noodles way faster than bigger saws I have...

Congrats on the SEZ purchase. I had one for a bit, definitely great saws and probably one of strongest 40cc around...even by today's standards. Also really light and nimble for an old saw.

FWIW, I'm a big 10-10 fan. The old basic black top 10-10 auto is perhaps my favorite saw to run. Not quite as nimble as the SEZ, but I feel it's considerably lighter and handles better than my later 10-10s and pm55 I've had. So even within the 10-10 family there is a bit of variation.

Thanks. I haven’t had time to do a lot yet, but really impressed with the weight and ergonomics of the SEZ. It was sold to me as “needing carb rebuild,” but I wanted to diagnose a few other easy things first. It had spark, but kind of lame. Re-did the spark plug connector and re-gapped the coil and that seems better. It’s got compression to spare. Tried running on a prime and it will....reluctantly and in short bursts. Carb is pulling fuel even when the saw it shut off. Have a kit, just need to find an hour with clear mind and clear workbench to do the rebuild and I’m confident it will run well.

I fully intend to add an old Mac to the arsenal at some point. Just a matter of the right deal coming along. All the different variants of the 10-10 confuse me a bit. Any recommendations which to seek out or avoid?

All the 10-10 saws are very similar. All 54cc except the 10-10s, pm555 and pm55 which are 57cc. The later ones have chain brake and bigger clutch covers. The later ones are better if you want something closer to a modern saw with better safety and electronic ignition. Like I said before I prefer my old 10-10A. It's simple and lighter and sounds oh so good.

Latest posts

Back