dolmar 420/421

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pulled the Cat out of my muffler on my 421. It was very simple. I thought it may be loud but it is as quiet as original. I would guess the cat in the muffler weighed about 3 to 4 ounces. It is the best kept secret in in my opinion. The weight issue is blown way out of portion. It handles very well.

Simply put
420 = 2.7hp
421 = 3hp (it's called the 420 sc in Germany)

And I run mine (I have a 420) in 3/8 hobby/lp/picco with Stihl full chisel chain PS3/PS and it just rips with it. And because ST always brings out the weight discussion, I remember the original, without cat, 420 weight to be almost equal to the Stihl 241.
Per online
Stihl 241 = 4.7kg http://www.stihl.de/STIHL-Produkte/Motorsägen/Sägen-für-die-Forstwirtschaft/21902-1582/MS-241-C-M.aspx
Dolmar 420 sc = 421 = 4.9kg http://www.dolmar.de/produkte/benzin_-_motorsaegen/ps-420_sc/index.html

Since Mastermind didn't weigh the saws during his review we will never know the actual numbers. But even Mastermind liked the original 420 better than the 241 unmodified! That says alot!

The real secret about the 420/421 is that it is built like a pro saw, priced for the homeowner.

Just to update my original post I weighed the complete cat insert of my 420. Without it the muffler is just a empty can. It was 180 gramms = 6,35 ounces. Don't have a digital scale(so no idea how precise) and my loved one was just out of house.... :D

Cant go wrong with the 420/421 . Id love to have either one . I have the 350 . Out of 10 cords/year...it cuts about 75% of it !! Sure it takes more time........but it is easier on the body. And...I am always surprised at how much wood can be cut with one tank of gas !!! And I literally feel no/little vibration ...But everyone is different in what's more important to them . I personally dont like lugging around a big bar and power head all day . .. So for me....That whole family of saws is right where I like to be . Pro-built and great priced . I also yanked the cat out of my muffler . It definetly runs cooler..and sounds awesome at idle ! Some people say they have to adjust the carb high screw after a muffler mod..which I had to do . But was very surprise that I was able to fatten up the L screw quite a bit as well . Seems like it has a tad more power in the cut...maybe its just my brain workin harder :)
Although..I got a Husky 550xp for my girl friend . Side by side being used at the same time......the 550xp is miles ahead of my lil 350 . Rediculous acceleration for limbing...and good power in the bigger cuts . Its also 1.7 h.p more than my 350....but only weighs about .75 lbs. more with all the cutting equipment on..and full tanks ! (actually weighted them on my scale ! ) Now thats some serious power to weight ratio !!! Also worth noting...the 550xp costs more than double my 350 . Isnt stopping me from saving up for a 550xp either :)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP- the 421 replaced the 420 according to my dealer. I just bought a 421 before Christmas, been using it for almost a month. For what you say you need to do on your budget, grab the 421. You'll love it. When you feel the need for more saw make the jump to a 60-65cc saw. I bought the 421 with just limbing in mind, like 6" and down. I've buried the bar now more times than I ever planned to, just because it will, with no problem. I'm using it more and more just because it's so light and its easier on fuel than the 6421.

Another thing, I'm still trying to figure out the bad mouthing this saw gets for weight vs. others in class. Someone already compared a Stihl 241 that we can't even buy here. 250 is more money with clamshell engine, which some around here don't approve of. But, Husky 445 (clamshell again) is same price, 3 more cc same weight, and .3hp less. Makes the 421 look pretty good in class if you ask me. Besides all that, if a half pound is going to hurt someone that bad they are screwed as soon as they set the saw down. The wood the saw just cut is going to weigh a lot more than the saw.

The 550xp comparison is void although it is impressively light, due to its not even in the same class. Its a bigger cc and nearly twice the cost. The 5105 is out of the argument also.

The 550xp comparison is void although it is impressively light, due to its not even in the same class. Its a bigger cc and nearly twice the cost. The 5105 is out of the argument also.
I surely wasnt comparing them as equals !!!! Just a comparison that kinda came up in my woods !! More trying to touch on a power to weight ratio thing...not a h.p. to cost thing .I am a total fan of the lil' Dolmars . I'd love to have a 421 next to my 350...just because !

Last edited by a moderator:
No fuzz, I understood completely what you were saying. I was referring to the others earlier in the thread that want to start throwing 50cc saws against the 40's. For some reason when someone asks about a certain size saw, there are always those who immediately suggest 10cc bigger. Like the OP here, sometimes there is a $$ limit, he already picked where he feels comfortable, and what his needs are. Now he is asking if it is a good product, not what is a bigger, better, more expensive saw. I really think these little saws have a place in the lineup. Next, it would behoove some around here to listen to those that have run a particular saw that is in question, versus just reading specs and making assumptions. It's no different than me saying an 880 is junk compared to a 3120. I've never run an 880, only a 3120, so I am not going to have an valid view of which is the better saw. I can't give an opinion on something I've never run. Sure we can all look at specs, but the way a tool feels in the hands can't be out on a spec sheet. Also, a dyno number is exactly that, a hp reading at a certain rpm. It doesn't always mirror how an engine performs in real live conditions. Pull an engine down a little past the tested rpm, one may not pull as good, one may hang right in there, making one feel stronger than the other.

I guess what I am getting at is, read what the owners have to say about a saw, not the spec reciters. Before buying the 421, I read quite a few posts on this site to see what the guys that owned them had to say. Turns out, I agree with all the good reviews.

No fuzz, I understood completely what you were saying. I was referring to the others earlier in the thread that want to start throwing 50cc saws against the 40's. For some reason when someone asks about a certain size saw, there are always those who immediately suggest 10cc bigger. Like the OP here, sometimes there is a $$ limit, he already picked where he feels comfortable, and what his needs are. Now he is asking if it is a good product, not what is a bigger, better, more expensive saw. I really think these little saws have a place in the lineup. Next, it would behoove some around here to listen to those that have run a particular saw that is in question, versus just reading specs and making assumptions. It's no different than me saying an 880 is junk compared to a 3120. I've never run an 880, only a 3120, so I am not going to have an valid view of which is the better saw. I can't give an opinion on something I've never run. Sure we can all look at specs, but the way a tool feels in the hands can't be out on a spec sheet. Also, a dyno number is exactly that, a hp reading at a certain rpm. It doesn't always mirror how an engine performs in real live conditions. Pull an engine down a little past the tested rpm, one may not pull as good, one may hang right in there, making one feel stronger than the other.

I guess what I am getting at is, read what the owners have to say about a saw, not the spec reciters. Before buying the 421, I read quite a few posts on this site to see what the guys that owned them had to say. Turns out, I agree with all the good reviews.
I just didnt want you thinkin I was trying to sell the guy on a bigger saw ! I think the Dolmar is a great fit for the OP ! I agree with all the stuff you said as well . Sometimes things get lost in the typing !

I have had a Dolmar 5100s for 6 years. It has been a great saw. I have cut a lot of wood with it. I have a new 421 and have ran it quite a bit the last few weeks. I am very impressed with the quality of this saw. You will not beat the value of the 421. If you try one you will buy one. They almost start by themselves with the easy start. A lot of people think that 10.5 pounds is too heavy for this saw. I say it is the best 40cc saw out and if 10.5 is to heavy for you stay home, buy your wood and learn to knit with the women. :D

Don't know what it is, but this line always manages to crack me up.

I Also could not be happier with 421. Now that I solved my chain problem with the purchase of a '18 power sharp setup. As a casual chainsaw user it seems to be taylor made for its purpose.

I know this is way late, but the difference I didn't see mentioned which I really think is a good thing is that the air filter was redesigned on the 421. Higher surface area and flocked instead of nylon.

Congrats on the saw, I LOVE my 420. And every single person who has used it has bought one!!!

I know this is way late, but the difference I didn't see mentioned which I really think is a good thing is that the air filter was redesigned on the 421. Higher surface area and flocked instead of nylon.
I believe the later 420's which have the matte finish filter covers had this upgrade. Mine does.

What that comparison illustrates is that the current breed of pro quality 42/43cc saws isn't really an alternative to a 346xp or 550xp, unless the only motivation is to save money.

However, they are excellent alternatives to +/- 45cc saws of lesser quality. :)

It is about putting matters into perspective. :chop:

What that comparison illustrates is that the current breed of pro quality 42/43cc saws isn't really an alternative to a 346xp or 550xp, unless the only motivation is to save money.

However, they are excellent alternatives to +/- 45cc saws of lesser quality. :)

Uh, not really. The two husky have more cc's and cost substantially more... they better perform better!!!

The 421/420 is marketed to a different clientele, simple as that.
Weight wise mine comes in at almost 4oz less than the weight stated on the dolmar web site. I wonder what/if other manufactures difference is in the real and stated weights?

:)

This part here^^^^^^^^.

Not everyone needs a 50cc saw. A 40cc works just fine for limbing and small wood. I would imagine it's easier on fuel than a 50cc, also. But if a 40cc is irrelevant next to a 50cc, in your opinion, is a 50 irrelevant next to a 60? See where this all goes?

Two different classes of saws. Comparing them against each other is absurd.

Latest posts

Back