Dolmar 510 for a farm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a guy in Versailles, Henry's Outdoor Power Equipment, that sells us a lot of our small engine things (like weedeaters, blowers, and chainsaws) and he got us onto these things. I'm definitely open to any suggestions on good dealers, as you can never know too many when the time comes that you need a part that day, so especially knowing several with good inventories is helpful. I looked at the serial number and according to the manual it is an 06 model (060240342 is the number). Will this one have all the emissions junk? Like the cat-muffler?

Hurst
No it will not have cat!!! That started in late 08 on the 510. BNTW i am dealer Mike spoke of! Let me know if I can ever help in any way!!!

Hurst, I didnt get to this thread until after you bought it, but i'll chip in with my 2¢ anyway.

I would have told you to go ahead & get it (glad you did) as its a good little saw & should fit well with what you're asking of it.

My dad has a 510 and I think it suits him perfectly compared with my 5100 - it seems to be more "forgiving" in terms of carb adjustments and other maintenance.

There's no question that head to head my 5100 beats his in speed, weight and performance, but for him, what does that really mean? 1/2hr less work time when he's cutting firewood?

Its a good saw, I think you'll be very happy with it :)

:sucks:

Now I have read 2 pages and am still waiting to see you with the saw in action! Saws are not made for the bed room! If your married problems are highly probable to arise!

:chainsawguy:

Congrats on the new saw!

I'll have to try to get some pictures when I get home of the maple tree that we need to finish cutting up with it. Justin, I'll keep you in mind for parts and service. Where abouts are you located?

I would love to try a 5100 or 5105 (or the 5105H with it's heated handle :blob2:), but at the same time, this is a step up from what we were looking for in the first place, as my Dad was going to buy a new 460 until I found this.

BTW, don't worry, I'm making this thing sleep on the floor.

Hurst

I have a 510 and will have to say that it lives up to my expectations. Been cutting every weekend for a month now with it and no problems, even when I ask it to cut something bigger than the 20" bar. Just have to take a little more time and make two cuts. I think you'll be very happy with your purchase as I am. Also I live in Lexington , ky. Good to see some locals on here. Maby see you around some time.

Definitely. If you ever get into Midway, we are about 2 minutes from Main Street. We have a small horse farm out there. There's a few good, small restaurants in Midway if you need a good excuse for the 20-30 minute drive lol. I'm in Lexington pretty often when I'm home chasing down parts and what not for the farm equipment and my personal projects.

Hurst

Hang around here long enough, & we'll have you rebuilding the 041 :D.

Seriously ;).

I have all the parts for it still. We actually spent about 70 dollars on parts for the clutch and the oiler before finding out the engine was shot, then my Dad said to call it quits on it for now. I still have a brand new Stihl chain sitting in its box hanging on the wall for it, which was another purchase made right before it died. It was getting low on compression and would take forever to get started before we started working on it. Then the oiler quit working (I want to think a pin sheared off) and it was in need of a new clutch drum/sprocket, and pads (a big part of the $70+ we spent on it). But when I went to put it back together, I would get it together and tighten it down, and then the motor would be bound up and wouldn't move at all, but as soon as I loosened the clutch up, everything spun again. If there's someone who could help me with it, I may look into fixing it up over christmas break when I am home. It was a great saw, but one heavy one. It's got a little bit of bad history behind it though, as the guy I work with, his father was almost killed by that saw a when it was much newer. Apparently he was cutting a tree in a fence row, and I am a little foggy on the details, as it's been a while since I have heard the story, but he hit rock or wire with it (I believe it had grown into the tree, but like I said, fuzzy on the details) and it kicked back on him and came back in his face. Being before chain saws had chain brakes and other built in safety equipment, the saw did quite a bit of damage, apparently coming pretty close to cutting through his skull. He ended up recovering and working on the farm until about 2 or 3 years before he passed away, but apparently he had to have quite a bit of reconstructive surgery done. It's definitely one of those stories that is in the back of your mind when using one of these things.

Hurst

Latest posts

Back