Dolmar 510 vs Echo 500 vs Stihl 290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the input! I guess I should have specified the size and quantity of fire wood. It won't get much bigger than 2' diameter and I will be cutting 4 to 6 cords of wood a year. All the saws will be plenty big for property clean up. I would like a 20" bar, but can make do with a 18". Of the saws listed which one has the most power? The Dolmar and Echo look very well built, but I have used a 290 and it works fine for what I'll be doing, but there sure is a lot of plastic. I just don't want to get one of the 50cc saws and wish I had the 290, but from what I'm hearing that's not the case. It looks like the Stihl has a lot of aftermarket support and can be made into a 60cc when time to rebuild comes, I'm not sure about the other 2.
I sure wish Canadian pricing was the same as in the states!

I didn't choose the echo mainly because, even though I ran one and it didn't really impress me, I don't know anyone who has had any luck getting them to honor the warranty. I think a lot of homeowners buy the saw based on the warranty and it doesn't seem to be worth the paper its printed on.

I didn't choose the echo mainly because, even though I ran one and it didn't really impress me, I don't know anyone who has had any luck getting them to honor the warranty. I think a lot of homeowners buy the saw based on the warranty and it doesn't seem to be worth the paper its printed on.

Heard that, too. I would void the warranty on any new saw soon anyway, most all new saws (based on anecdotals around these parts...) seem to need limiters removed and richened, and muffler mods right outta the box.

Pest or colera? :givebeer:

Where's the option of none of the above?

I had a 510...nice homeowner saw, but weak and heavy for a 50cc saw.

290...find a 390 if you are going with this series of Stihl.

Don't know about the Echo...I would have to look it over. Lots of reports of the denial of warranty work.

If you are set (or stuck) with one of the three, I would hold my nose and go with the Echo.

290...find a 390 if you are going with this series of Stihl.

Don't know about the Echo...I would have to look it over. Lots of reports of the denial of warranty work.

If you are set (or stuck) with one of the three, I would hold my nose and go with the Echo.

Echo saws always are disastously weak both for the cc and the weight, there is no winner among the saws this is about, only loosers....:msp_wink:

Not sure how you can call a vertically split metal case saw, a homeowner saw. I have time behind the 510, and I've ran the Echo. Again the Echo is built well, but is weak stock. The 510 is built well and is also a strong saw for the price, quite a bit stronger than the Echo 500, especially in the torque department.

Well, I'm not sure how to define it, but it's not a pro saw just bc it has pro-style construction. It is an aluminum crankcase, lower specific output, version of Dolmar's pro 50cc saw, the 5105.

I have no experience with the Echos. How much do they weigh? The 510 is nearly 12.5lbs which is more than a pound heavier than a 346.

OK, I'll risk it and dive in here.
I have no experience with the 500P, but I'm plenty impressed with how my 600P performed right out of the box. Good torque and cutting speed even running a 24" bar.
I'm in the dark about Dolmar in general. My only input is based on my hands on experience with the Echo.
I've run 290s before. Never was particularly impressed.
OK, I'll take the abuse I'm sure is about to come.

Of those three, I would pick the Echo. They are are pro built saw. The Dolmar is a good saw as well but the parts support for Dolmar in Canada is awful. The MS290 is Stihl's best selling saw, they are everywhere but they are heavy and not a great performer for its size.

Well, I'm not sure how to define it, but it's not a pro saw just bc it has pro-style construction. It is an aluminum crankcase, lower specific output, version of Dolmar's pro 50cc saw, the 5105.

I have no experience with the Echos. How much do they weigh? The 510 is nearly 12.5lbs which is more than a pound heavier than a 346.

The echo is 10.6lbs so yes it's lighter than the Dolmar. The 510 without the cat muffler is a bit lighter. To be honest I can't tell much weight difference between the 510 and my 5100. The 346 is a different story.

OK, I'll risk it and dive in here.
I have no experience with the 500P, but I'm plenty impressed with how my 600P performed right out of the box. Good torque and cutting speed even running a 24" bar.
I'm in the dark about Dolmar in general. My only input is based on my hands on experience with the Echo.
I've run 290s before. Never was particularly impressed.
OK, I'll take the abuse I'm sure is about to come.

The 600 isn't a bad saw and they run extremely well when ported. However you can't honestly compere it to any of the other top saws in it's cc class, when it comes to power or weight, out of the box.:cheers:

To come back to the original question. As far as I have understood from reading here a little bit in recent years the situation will probably evolve the following. Any of the mentioned saws will last you a life time with your amount of sawing with some maintanence.

1. The 290 is by far the oldest(that doesn't mean bad) design saw that has been sold a lot. It has quite a restricted muffler and as far as I have understood the newer models are even more restricted. Plastic encased saw but still not bad for your need.

Out of the box it will be equivelent powerwise to the others. After a muffler mod and carb retune it should pull ahead minimally.

2. The 510 is a newer design(built like a pro model but intended for the semi pro/farmer). As far as I have understood the muffler isn't all to restricted and usually should have the most power out of the box. A muffler mod is never a bad idea on any newer saw design.

3. The 500 is probably like all newer Echo models in that it needs a carb retune from the beginning, so that it doesn't suffer any major damage from overheating or running excessivly lean early on. Further they really improve with a muffler mod.

To be honest you definately don't need a pro saw! The recomendations here from the crowd are always nice but only reflect what they believe to need. In the AS community the largest part are only "freaks" that like to have the "best". There are only very few that require the best. If you do a little research you will find many who have cut your amount of wood for years with much lesser saws and astonishingly it worked out fine. Actual sawing time will be approximately 5-6hrs/year from your description. So you will never see / feel or understand the difference between pro and semi pro/farmer models.
The biggest challenge will be learning to keep you chains sharp, your bar trued, your fuel fresh, your cutting skills up to date, your saw clean and well maintained. With your infrequent sawing it would be a good idea to let the saw run out of fuel(idling!) after the last usage. All information on muffler mods are easily available here on AS when you use the search function. There is no individual muffler mod, the principles adhere to all brands.

If it was me I would stay with max. 18 inch bar&chain. I would get Stihl "semi chisel" chains for your saw. (Stihl chains work on all brand of saws, you just need the correct specification) And I wouldn't mind any saw mentioned. You will be happy (if you adhere to what I wrote above) with any model.

I like my Makita=Dolmar saws very much.

The 600 isn't a bad saw and they run extremely well when ported. However you can't honestly compere it to any of the other top saws in it's cc class, when it comes to power or weight, out of the box.:cheers:

For full disclosure, I bought mine from an actual servicing dealer, and he tuned it before I took it out the door. And he said he will do a quick tune anytime I need (carb adj obviously) free of charge just to make sure its right. Lot to be said for buying from a real dealer vs a big box.

To come back to the original question. As far as I have understood from reading here a little bit in recent years the situation will probably evolve the following. Any of the mentioned saws will last you a life time with your amount of sawing with some maintanence.

1. The 290 is by far the oldest(that doesn't mean bad) design saw that has been sold a lot. It has quite a restricted muffler and as far as I have understood the newer models are even more restricted. Plastic encased saw but still not bad for your need.

Out of the box it will be equivelent powerwise to the others. After a muffler mod and carb retune it should pull ahead minimally.

2. The 510 is a newer design(built like a pro model but intended for the semi pro/farmer). As far as I have understood the muffler isn't all to restricted and usually should have the most power out of the box. A muffler mod is never a bad idea on any newer saw design.

3. The 500 is probably like all newer Echo models in that it needs a carb retune from the beginning, so that it doesn't suffer any major damage from overheating or running excessivly lean early on. Further they really improve with a muffler mod.

To be honest you definately don't need a pro saw! The recomendations here from the crowd are always nice but only reflect what they believe to need. In the AS community the largest part are only "freaks" that like to have the "best". There are only very few that require the best. If you do a little research you will find many who have cut your amount of wood for years with much lesser saws and astonishingly it worked out fine. Actual sawing time will be approximately 5-6hrs/year from your description. So you will never see / feel or understand the difference between pro and semi pro/farmer models.

The biggest challenge will be learning to keep you chains sharp, your bar trued, your fuel fresh, your cutting skills up to date, your saw clean and well maintained. With your infrequent sawing it would be a good idea to let the saw run out of fuel(idling!) after the last usage. All information on muffler mods are easily available here on AS when you use the search function. There is no individual muffler mod, the principles adhere to all brands.

If it was me I would stay with max. 18 inch bar&chain. I would get Stihl "semi chisel" chains for your saw. (Stihl chains work on all brand of saws, you just need the correct specification) And I wouldn't mind any saw mentioned. You will be happy (if you adhere to what I wrote above) with any model.

I like my Makita=Dolmar saws very much.

Spot on!!

Many people will overlook that 1lb. difference when it leaves $400 in their pockets as it does here in Canada.

Many people will overlook that 1lb. difference when it leaves $400 in their pockets as it does here in Canada.

I see it similar. And if we are honest for 5-6hrs cutting time / year to be faster by about 20min, that is a lot of dough.

But another often overlooked object is personal safety. If you want to invest in personal safety then you should count in at least 150-250$. That would include chaps, steel toed boots, eye/face & ear protection, some good quality gloves and helmet as a minimum.
Then don't forget at least one extra chain(I would prefer at least two good quality ones like Stihl chain, over here Stihl chain is ~25$/loop). And don't buy the el cheepo line. Like I mentioned above alone a sharp good quality chain will make your saw cut in a totally different league. Usually the chain comming with the saw are, how should I put it, the economy line. Good for a few cuts/year but nothing to cheer about. I like these cheap chains very much because they are excellent for the "dirty work"(like cutting around the dirt, etc.). They get damaged => who cares.
Chain sharpening kit ~ 20$, I like the husqvarna roller type very much.
Splitting axe, I like Fiskars ~ 70$, good quality starts at about 50$. Don't be cheap on this one, it will make you unhappy. And I'm really being conservative.
Then we have to talk about bar oil and fuel. A 5 litre jug of bar oil costs about 20$. Full synthetic two stroke oil, if you want to mix yourself, costs about 10$/litre=>50 litres of fuel mix. In your case you might think about premixed fuel. It usually is stable for at least 2-5 years, depending on storage, so that would suite you fine. But it comes at a premium.

All this equipment alone adds up to at least 400$!

So these costs are the same for all saws. But the economical aspect slowly deteriorates as the costs ad up.

I own 2 of the 3 saws the OP mentioned, and an Echos cs 530 which was the model prior to the cs 500.

Forget the Stihl in this comparison, it is an overweight underpowered pig compared to the other 2, by FAR my LEAST FAVORITE. Both the Dolmar 510 and Echo cs 530 have been MM'd and tuned, (Stihl also, but stihl outclassed big time). Actually the echo is the fastest and feels the lightest of the bunch and has the outboard clutch which does in fact improve handling as ST often reminds us.

So IMO, either the Dolmar or Echo in this comparison. Pick the best dealer and price, tune it up and have fun!!

Latest posts

Back