Dolmar 510 vs Echo 500 vs Stihl 290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Echo saws always are disastously weak both for the cc and the weight, there is no winner among the saws this is about, only loosers....:msp_wink:

Really ? how many do you own Troll ?
CS 600P , removed limiters and gutted muffler and it runs like a champ i am actually very very impressed with it.
Would not venture to say it was weak by any means stock as well , rather surprised to hear this comment . Power to weight ratio it fairs fairly well stock but shines once just allowed to breathe.

Would imagine that the 500 would run along the same line and would be a great saw for the OP .

Last edited:
Echo saws always are disastously weak both for the cc and the weight, there is no winner among the saws this is about, only loosers....:msp_wink:

No disrespect Troll, but, disastrously weak??? I know you claim Echo is everything wrong with saws, but, if you haven't actually run one, how can you really be an informed detractor??

There are plenty of members on here, a large number who are not brand loyal to only one, who not only claim Echo to be adequate, but damn good in many respects.

I have run 290s (other Stihls as well), I have run lower level huskys (51, 55, 455, 460 off the top of my head), and my old, mag cased 500vl will run with any comparable vintage 50cc (better than most), and dollar for dollar, my 600P will keep up with and comparably priced offering from Stihl or Husky. Stock to stock... BUT.... there really aren't that many that are truly comparable priced.. Lower priced offerings from the big 2 that would be comparable (460 rancher is all I have experience with first hand) is not close to my 600. Same cc, similar price.

I wish I had any experience with the Dolmar, but I don't, so I won't even attempt to pass judgement.

Back to the OP's question, talk to the dealers. See how the saws feel in your hands. Maybe see if they have a demo model you can feel run in your hands. My shop has a few, and a log out back you can do a couple test cuts with so you really can feel. Find the dealer you like best, who seems like they'll treat you right not only for the sale, but in the future.

My advice is from personal preference and experience. What feels right to me might feel completely wrong to you. It's not 'one size fits all'.

Permanently ?

That's a bloody shame, good bloke, lots and lots of pro experience, just doesn't care for Echo's :laugh:

Well, from his really nasty blow-up on the 355 thread (most of which was deleted), I believe it's long term at a minimum.

You can not like certain brands, even a little badmouthing about them... however, IMO, he was beyond disrespectful. Yeah I can take some needling, just expect it right back. He went wayyyy beyond that.

I have owned an Echo cs500p for several months now and it is a strong runner, I also own a ms 290 and this saw does not keep pace with the echo. Both saws are running with 20" bars. The echo has very good torque for a 50cc saw and is a good handling saw. I have always liked stihl product and own several peices of their equipment but I like the Echo saws that I have, I also have a cs 400 which once tuned has been my go to saw for medium cutting jobs, it runs close to my 026. I wish that we had a dolmar dealer as I would like to try one out. But given your choices I would choose the 500p.

Thanks for all your input! I ended up going with the Echo CS-500P with a 20" bar and they threw in a case. It's from the closest dealer to me, and they're open Mondays (one of my days off). I really liked the Dolmar too, dealer is 20 minutes away and not open Monday so that was a factor. I'll let you know how it all works out after going to get wood on Sunday. So far it's gone through the 18" rounds I have had to clean up in the yard quite nicely.

Thanks for all your input! I ended up going with the Echo CS-500P with a 20" bar and they threw in a case. It's from the closest dealer to me, and they're open Mondays (one of my days off). I really liked the Dolmar too, dealer is 20 minutes away and not open Monday so that was a factor. I'll let you know how it all works out after going to get wood on Sunday. So far it's gone through the 18" rounds I have had to clean up in the yard quite nicely.

congrats! Pics or it didn't happen... :hmm3grin2orange:

New saw rep coming once button works for me again

Congratulations on the new saw purchase! Be warned it took me only 3 months to accumulate 15 saws after purchasing my first new one.

Congratulations on the new saw purchase! Be warned it took me only 3 months to accumulate 15 saws after purchasing my first new one.

Oh, so it's kinda like MX bikes! Funny thing is that the saw is only gonna see the good gas mixed 40-1 with synthetic, as siphoned from my 150SX!

Did the dealer tune the saw, or did you tune it? Echos are notoriously lean from the box. The ones I've tuned needed to have the limiter caps pulled to tune them rich enough to suit me.

I've read that the Dolmars have the carb adjuster screws covered in epoxy. :msp_mad:

You got the best of those 3 saws, the Dolmar would have just as quility but you'll like the light wieght of the CS500. Just picking them up they don't feel a lot different but after running them a long time 1-1/2# more feels like a lot. Steve

I've read that the Dolmars have the carb adjuster screws covered in epoxy. :msp_mad:

Dolmar Did/ (does?) epoxy their carb adjuster screws, however the one I tested 4-stroked nicely and seemed to carb well out of the box.

Doesn't echo make you use a special wrench or other oddities to adjust their carbs anyway?

It's neither here nor there, the Dolmar dealer will remove your stock carb if he can't adjust it well and switch it for an adjustable one under warranty. I've heard the latest ones are coming with adjustable limiters again. I found out recently that you can use a dremel to split the aluminum "epoxy cover" on the 510 and crack the epoxy off with pliers, but never tried it. long story short, that's not a problem.

The issue in my opinion (after trying both) is that unless you are getting a great deal on a 510, the 5105 is so close in price and noticably better, so that would be the one I'd go with.

Just depends on what you consider a great deal to be. Up here the difference between the two ends up leaving a hundred bucks in your pocket.

For an occassional user, that difference just about pays for your chaps and a helmet.

Latest posts

Back