Dolmar 510 vs Echo 500 vs Stihl 290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all your input! I ended up going with the Echo CS-500P with a 20" bar and they threw in a case. It's from the closest dealer to me, and they're open Mondays (one of my days off). I really liked the Dolmar too, dealer is 20 minutes away and not open Monday so that was a factor. I'll let you know how it all works out after going to get wood on Sunday. So far it's gone through the 18" rounds I have had to clean up in the yard quite nicely.

Good Choice and I am sure you will be quite happy !

But as many have mentioned here pay close attention to how the saw is tuned stock from the factory . Mine and most others was quite lean, I assume to meet the EPA standards . In order to tune it properly you will most likely have to remove the limiters and there are threads on this site on how to do it . You will want to be sure to not to destroy them in the process as they serve a purpose in keeping the adjustment screws in place once tuned properly .

There are also some links on how to tune your saw properly if you don't have a lot of experience with saws. The safest route if you have any questionable feelings about performing this task would be to take it to a dealer or experienced friend to do so.
Good Luck and ENJOY !

Last edited:
Dolmar Did/ (does?) epoxy their carb adjuster screws, however the one I tested 4-stroked nicely and seemed to carb well out of the box.

Doesn't echo make you use a special wrench or other oddities to adjust their carbs anyway?

It's neither here nor there, the Dolmar dealer will remove your stock carb if he can't adjust it well and switch it for an adjustable one under warranty. I've heard the latest ones are coming with adjustable limiters again. I found out recently that you can use a dremel to split the aluminum "epoxy cover" on the 510 and crack the epoxy off with pliers, but never tried it. long story short, that's not a problem.

The issue in my opinion (after trying both) is that unless you are getting a great deal on a 510, the 5105 is so close in price and noticably better, so that would be the one I'd go with.

The epoxy carbs were only for a couple months of production. All models since have adjustable carbs with special tools needed.

Did the dealer tune the saw, or did you tune it? Echos are notoriously lean from the box. The ones I've tuned needed to have the limiter caps pulled to tune them rich enough to suit me.

I've read that the Dolmars have the carb adjuster screws covered in epoxy. :msp_mad:

It was dealer tuned, but the limiters are still on the saw.

Nice haul!

Just ignore SawTroll on all things Echo... He doesn't like them...

Once you get a couple tanks thru it, take it back to your dealer and ask them to retune it for you. My dealer has with my 600p, and they're happy to at any time.

Like? The fact is that the power specs are appallingly low for the weight, and that is no surprice, based on how they are designed. It is a fact that Echo either don't know how to port a two-cycle engine, or they don't respect their costumers enough to care to do it. :givebeer:

It isn't a coincidence that they don't publish the power specs in the US - but they do in the UK.

Last edited:
Like? The fact is that the power specs are appallingly low for the weight, and that is no surprice, based on how they are designed. It is a fact that Echo either don't know how to port a two-cycle engine, or they don'r respect their costumers enough to care to do it. :givebeer:

It isn't a coincidence that they don't publish the power specs in the US - but they do in the UK.

And here we go again.....

If you ever can provide proof that you've actually run ANY Echo to provide you with educated, hands-on, real world experience as to the "downfalls" of the brand, well, I'll make and eat humble pie, every day, for dinner...
Your clamshell arguments don't hold water, so go back to porting, power specs, etc..
*See argument on the latest husky thread about how little they seem to care about their US website
I prefer Echo as my brand. I'm not gonna slam your beloved Husky, show some respect by not slamming Echo based on heresay, and no real world experience on your part.

OP for what it's worth, I went through a similar search for a new saw recently and ended up with the CS-500P. I have been really happy with it and I think you will find it's a very good saw. I also have a good dealer only 20 minutes away and he tuned it for me before I even picked it up.

Earl

Good choice on the Echo, I have a little CS400 and it is a great saw for what it is, plenty of power for everything I cut with it, plus a better filter set up than the equivalent Stihl or Husky and an adjustable oilier. I have a mess load of saws by almost every manufacturer and Echo is not that bad, on paper they may look bad but look at the ms290 the biggest fattest pig of the lot and still #1 in sales, if you think you got what you paid for than you did good.

Like? The fact is that the power specs are appallingly low for the weight, and that is no surprice, based on how they are designed. It is a fact that Echo either don't know how to port a two-cycle engine, or they don't respect their costumers enough to care to do it. :givebeer:

Troll Did you watch that vid of a puny underpowered 33cc Echo 330t cutting against the overhyped 200t 36cc and almost dead even? Steve

The newest Echo saws like the 500 and 600 run quite well, and I see a lot of Shindaiwa in them, which is a good thing. The muffler ports are tiny, open them up and they run well. Overall quality of Echo products, seem to be as good, or better than the other manufactures IMHO. The 500 is down on power compared to the top 50cc saw, but again, open them up and they run. The 600 has the power out of the box, and ported vs ported it will run with, or outrun saws like the 361, 359/357 and so on. The bad news with the 600 is the weight. 13lbs+.

The newest Echo saws like the 500 and 600 run quite well, and I see a lot of Shindaiwa in them, which is a good thing. The muffler ports are tiny, open them up and they run well. Overall quality of Echo products, seem to be as good, or better than the other manufactures IMHO. The 500 is down on power compared to the top 50cc saw, but again, open them up and they run. The 600 has the power out of the box, and ported vs ported it will run with, or outrun saws like the 361, 359/357 and so on. The bad news with the 600 is the weight. 13lbs+.

But will it outrun a ported 562xp? I've never ran my 562 or my 359's (finally get to pick all three of them up on Saturday):rock:

A lot of people run Echo. They like them. A lot of people prefer them. That's their choice

You don't like Echo and that's obvious. Give it a rest. The brand bashing needs to stop. Now, please.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back