Dolmar 510 vs Husky 350

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwm001

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Any thoughts on comparison of the Husky 350 and Dolmar 510. Pros and cons??? Seems as if some think very highly of the Dolmar but I have never seen one in action. I do have a new dealer close for the Dolmar.

I have no experiance with the Husky in question. The 510 on the other hand I do have some experiance with and do not hold it in high reguard, I would not buy one. Although I do not have any experiance with the Dolmar 5100 either, it has a loyal following with folks here on AS. I thought about one real hard but picked up a 346xp instead.

Both have about the same power, but are otherwise totally different.

The Dolmar is heavy for the power, due to aluminum crank case (not magnesium, like pro saws) and the general layout.

The Husky is light and nimble, but has a plastic crank case.

I would take the Husky, as it will handle much better, unless I was mostly blocking delivered logs.

Last edited:
510/350

I've got a 510, I swear by it. LOVEEEEEE mine and have had 0 problems with it... Everyone that touches my 510 seems to love it also, at this time I've let about 6 people run it and I really have to watch it cause it'll walk off, hehehehehehe... If that's any clue for ya bro. The 350 is a PLASTIC housed saw whereas the 510 is aluminum. You want plastic or aluminum is one question you should be asking yourself. 350 is more a homeowners saw, 510 is a PRO saw. 510 weighs a little more, but has ALOT more torque than the 350. I'm not sure what the 350 turns for rpms but the 510 turns out at 13,500, that's fast. I run a 16/18" bar on mine and it handles either one very well. I've cut trees from limbing to a 34" hard maple I just knocked over the other day and the little 510 kicked butt right to the end. I'd recommend it to anyone. If someone isn't impressed with it for what the little saw is and what you pay, they probably haven't run one...

:cheers: eh?

The Dolmar 510 is a very capable saw and for the price point it's hard to beat.

It's a PRO saw, very smooth. Well balanced. 12.1 lbs and 3.2bhp is not a bad combination, plus it's got a 1 year commercial / rental warranty.

I'm all for the 5100S but the 510 is very capable even with a 20" bar for the average woodcutter. And being $80.00 less than the 5100S doesn't hurt its position on my showroom floor.

I'll always take a metal crankcase over a plastic one.

.... It's a PRO saw, very smooth. Well balanced. 12.1 lbs and 3.2bhp is not a bad combination, plus it's got a 1 year commercial / rental warranty.

I'm all for the 5100S but the 510 is very capable even with a 20" bar for the average woodcutter. And being $80.00 less than the 5100S doesn't hurt its position on my showroom floor. ....

Imo, the extra weight (about a pound) of alu vs. mg disqualifies it as a pro saw, as the power to weight ratio just isn't good enough.......

Even the 5100S (mg case) is heavy for a 50cc saw, but the power weights up for it.
The 510 has about an extra pound, and lacks that power, so it ends up in a different class entierly......

As I said, it is totally different from the Husky350, except for power - so the choise depends one the planned use, and the users perspective. :)

Are the 510 & 5100s the same chassis?

DolmaratOs, I know the crankcase is a different material and the engines are different rpm but is the overall layout the same? I'm pretty sure I picked up a 510 right beside the 5100s and they felt kinda different. I'm pretty sure the balance was different but the 510 didn't feel heavier.

This isn't the first time i've heard someone say that the feel of the 510 and 5100 is very close. There is a big BIG difference between numbers on paper and having the unit in your hand.

The balance of the two is a little different due to the 510 being heavier on the nose from aluminum vs. magnesium.

The 510 and 5100 are NOT even close to being in the same performance class but I have to respectfully decline Troll's claim that the 510 isn't a PRO saw due to its horsepower and weight. Horsepower and weight are not the factors that determine a saws class as PRO or Homeowner.

A PRO saw is durable, well balanced and comfortable to operate. It should have sufficient power and torque (just because the newest toys have more power andf less weight doesn't discount the rest of the units as no longer PRO). Should have a warranty that keeps the professional in mind. It wasn't very long ago that 3.2 BHP and 12.1 lbs was VERY VERY respectable in a 3 cu in. saw. More power and less weight doesn't make change a saw from being PRO or Homeowner, it just makes it faster and worth more money.

A saw with a plastic crankcase, cheap components, poor warranty coverage for PRO use, and /or one that does not have the durability required for extended use is what determines its standing as PRO or Consumer.

If you are cutting palms

Aluminum is the way to go.....

And if you can find a new 346XP for even close to the price of a 510 buy it...and I'd be interested in a couple too.

The 510 will likely last longer than the 5100 because of being tamed down power and RPM wise and is not a bad saw in the least.

Magnesium is used for a lot of reasons but being "professional" isn't one of them from any logical view.

Mag is FAR cheaper stock for casting and is much easier to deal with particularly in die casting.

This isn't the first time i've heard someone say that the feel of the 510 and 5100 is very close. There is a big BIG difference between numbers on paper and having the unit in your hand.

The balance of the two is a little different due to the 510 being heavier on the nose from aluminum vs. magnesium.

The 510 and 5100 are NOT even close to being in the same performance class but I have to respectfully decline Troll's claim that the 510 isn't a PRO saw due to its horsepower and weight. Horsepower and weight are not the factors that determine a saws class as PRO or Homeowner.

A PRO saw is durable, well balanced and comfortable to operate. It should have sufficient power and torque (just because the newest toys have more power andf less weight doesn't discount the rest of the units as no longer PRO). Should have a warranty that keeps the professional in mind. It wasn't very long ago that 3.2 BHP and 12.1 lbs was VERY VERY respectable in a 3 cu in. saw. More power and less weight doesn't make change a saw from being PRO or Homeowner, it just makes it faster and worth more money.

A saw with a plastic crankcase, cheap components, poor warranty coverage for PRO use, and /or one that does not have the durability required for extended use is what determines its standing as PRO or Consumer.

+1

Back to basics....

To put this into perspective - what makes me dead cold about the PS510 is that it practically weights the same as the much more powerful MS361....:jawdrop:

IMO, there is no point with a 50cc saw that weights the same as the best 60cc one......:deadhorse: :deadhorse:

...unless you only buck up smaller logs in the back yard, and is cheap about it.

Ms360 = $599 18 B&c Dolmar PS-510 = $350 18" B&c

Very good point, but I think you meant MS361. What is the retail going price of a 5100?

Sure, but the 510 is still 1 1/2 lbs heavier than the Husky 350 - how much extra weight the metal case is worth is up to the buyer to deside.....:)

5100SA18 = $424.95 w/ 18" B&C 3/8" Suggested Sale Price.

The entire issue with saws HAS to involve price when comparing equipment. Horsepower to weight ratio is the numbers game on paper but horsepower to weight ratio involving real world $$$$ is the real world in your hands situation.

Another thing we need to take in to account is region. I know that Saws are worth gold where Troll lives. We see different prices and options in different areas of the US with Stihl, Dolmar and Husky.

Anyway, I like the 510 for the $$$. It's like a solid well-built pick-up truck. Good price, good power, reliable and will get the job done. 5100S is like adding a supercharger, 4-link suspension, fiberglass body kit.....and still able to use it for work. LOL

:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back