Dolmar 7900 review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

computeruser

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Good review! It's nice to hear positive things from someone who actually uses the saw vocationally. What sort of bar/chain type/length were you running? What type/size of trees?

Have you done anything to the muffler?

Yes,a good review,I agree.I feel the same way about the on-off switch.I use mine not a much as many,but enough to be quite happy with its power.I too hope its longevity is good,and I am fortunate to have two dealers close by also.:chainsaw:

Now thats what I like to read, good or bad feedback from real usage with non-biased opinions of hands on user. Thanks for the reading and results.:bowdown:

Cut safe,

I like my 7900, its a good saw. However, i would like to trade it for a ms440, if anyone is interested send me a pm.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. A couple of things I forgot to put in the original review: the gas tank is not see-through, and the saw comes with a Husky type bar with the angled oil hole. I bought the powerhead only, and have my Husky bar from the 2171 (372) on it.
Also, there was a question about bar and chain, and type of wood. I have a 20 inch WP bar, full-chisel, round-filed chain and right now am cutting white oak up to two and a half feet diameter. Also cutting some aspen from six inches up to 18 inches, and a smaller amount of other hardwoods.
Richard

Sounds like you're putting it to some solid, serious use! Good choice of bar and chain for that saw, too.

7900_441_Cookies.jpg

good post

The weight—according to Dolmar is 13.9 pounds, and that’s probably about right. It outweighs my 2171 by about half a pound, and the difference is noticeable but not nasty. The 2171 is nicer to run because it’s lighter and smoother, but doesn’t come close to the 7900’s power.
This saw with it’s extraordinary power to weight ratio really hits the spot. If I were considering a purchase anywhere between four and six cubic inch, I’d buy this.

Richard
I can back you up on all this, totally right. The saws were pretty close in power til the 7900 got broken in. :D

Nice review,and thorough.

I agree with almost everything. I find it smoother in the cut than a 440 or a 372 with really sharp chain. Actually one of my 7900's is smoother than the other now that I think about it.

And although the power curve is the best I've ever personally run, my with any real length of bar my 066 and 395 outpull it by a bunch.

ALso, I reversed the ignition switch on my 7900's because it was backwards from husky and I like it better, and wish I could reverse the switch on my 5100 to be the same as my Stihls.

As I've said before, my 7900 with fresh square and full synthetic oil is a fantastic wood eating machine. Could never go back on any one of those three things. I've gotten to like the look of them, and don't even mind the dogs (although they look kind of weird). If the EPA really does make them go away, I'll probably buy another one to stick in the freezer.

Last edited:
three EASY mods that really wake it up.
Remove the muffler.
take a 3/8 socket extension, 6 inches long, and put the small end down through the exhaust port. It will hit a bent over lippy thingy.
Now wack it repeatedly until the lippy thingy has more clearance.

With the muffler off, Remove the shroud that covers the exhaust outlet. An old wood chisel works well. Remove the screw that holds the screen.
Now drill the BIGGEST hole you feel comfortable drilling making the outlet bigger.
Replace screen and screw and shroud.

Remove plastic cover that covers the air filter. Drill a 1.5 inch hole through the wall in teh middle, and remove half the louvers on the outside. If you don't believe me, run it once without the plastic cover on.

The hoods have recently changed take a look at the old style vs new style (Brand new this summer in parts inventory). The part# on the new hood is 038118221 and sell for about $10.

Note: These hoods just came through in parts inventory and it may take a bit before you see them on new saws

attachment.php

attachment.php

The new hood has a nylon net casted into the cover.

Steve

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back