Dolmar 7900, Solo 681, Stihl MS441 - 7 pin /8 pin rim.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It really does say a lot about strato saws. One of these years (when all that's available are strato models) the racing is gonna be split into 2 groups - strato and non strato. They're just that different once ported that you won't be able to compare the two kinds of saws. :cheers:

its saying nothing about the stato saw other that is was faster than 2 saw of unknow quantity in frozen wood @ 10 degrees because we have no baseline.

its saying nothing about the stato saw other that is was faster than 2 saw of unknow quantity in frozen wood @ 10 degrees because we have no baseline.

All the 7 pin videos are from the same day, temp and wood. All the 8 pin videos are from the same day temp and wood. Difficult to compare 7 pin to 8 pin, but it is an interesting, and somewhat accurate comparison from saw to saw with the same sprocket.

We will be running them through some big oak soon. That may shed some more light on things.

Call me an idiot, but honestly I'm thinking we'll see the same results even in the oak. I'm really excited to play around and get some real numbers with all three saws wearing the 7 and 8 pinner.

But I'm guessing we'll see the 441 in 1st, 681 in 2nd, and 7900 in 3rd as far as speed. I'm also guessing that when it comes to torque we'll see the 7900 being 1st, the 441 in 2nd, and the 681 in 3rd.

Now I could be wrong, but isn't that the fun part?? :D

what is a strato saw?

It is a newer generation of two stroke engine. It has a two barrel carb that sends a burst of clean air into the combustion chamber through special transfer ports on the intake side of the cylinder to clear exhaust gasses before the air fuel mix enters. They get excellent fuel economy, and produce a lot of torque. They are heavy, unreliable and CANNOT be modded. Just kidding! Though that was the old wisdom around here.

They are the wave of the future because of EPA restrictions. They are an excellent engineering response to a difficult environmental problem. Instead of just throwing a cat muffler on a saw and calling it a day, saw manufactures came up with something that met the EPA requirements and performs remarkably well.

Nay-sayers take your shots!

It is a newer generation of two stroke engine. It has a two barrel carb that sends a burst of clean air into the combustion chamber through special transfer ports on the intake side of the cylinder to clear exhaust gasses before the air fuel mix enters. They get excellent fuel economy, and produce a lot of torque. They are heavy, unreliable and CANNOT be modded. Just kidding! Though that was the old wisdom around here.

They are the wave of the future because of EPA restrictions. They are an excellent engineering response to a difficult environmental problem. Instead of just throwing a cat muffler on a saw and calling it a day, saw manufactures came up with something that met the EPA requirements and performs remarkably well.

Nay-sayers take your shots!

I was just gonna be sarcastic and say "the 441", lol. Well put. :greenchainsaw:

That 441 is smoking! That 7900 and 681 was not impressive against it, even worse them being ported.:jawdrop:

Thanks! Brad did a great job on this saw. It was not that the 7900 and 681 are slow! Trust me, they ARE fast. They both show proven and substantial gains over their highly regarded stock counterparts. It will be fun to get them all in bigger wood.

Yeah the westspartan has it down. The 681 and 7900 are fast, just nothing like that 441.

If it were a 044/MS440 the 681 and 7900 would definitely be faster. I couldn't imagine if the 681 and 7900 were strato charged. I'm tellin' ya it's something about those strato saws. I've said it before and I'll say it again, just imagine what a ported 90cc strato will bring to the table. :D

--
Edit: As a disclaimer, Dan and I are not ones to be terribly concerned with whose / which saw is faster. If anything it's more of a fun show and tell thing for us. It's not all about a competitive drive to see who can cut cookies faster - in the end what does it really matter...? Both of us mainly use our saws as work saws - and a few seconds here or a few seconds there don't really make much of a difference when we're out cutting and milling. The only time you really notice the differences is when it's infront of my iPhone camera and the cuts are being timed.

We both enjoy running our saws more than we do tuning them and timing them. For us it's not a pi$$ing match that's all about torque and speed. :)

Last edited:
Thanks! Brad did a great job on this saw. It was not that the 7900 and 681 are slow! Trust me, they ARE fast. They both show proven and substantial gains over their highly regarded stock counterparts. It will be fun to get them all in bigger wood.

No doubt they all run good but if you would have told me the outcome instead of posting a video, I would have called horse hockey.:D The 441 running with those saws has set a new mark.:clap: Very impressive.

yeah the westspartan has it down. The 681 and 7900 are fast, just nothing like that 441.

If it were a 044/ms440 the 681 and 7900 would definitely be faster. I couldn't imagine if the 681 and 7900 were strato charged. I'm tellin' ya it's something about those strato saws. I've said it before and i'll say it again, just imagine what a ported 90cc strato will bring to the table. :d

--
edit: As a disclaimer, dan and i are not ones to be terribly concerned with whose / which saw is faster. If anything it's more of a fun show and tell thing for us. It's not all about a competitive drive to see who can cut cookies faster - in the end what does it really matter...? Both of us mainly use our saws as work saws - and a few seconds here or a few seconds there don't really make much of a difference when we're out cutting and milling. The only time you really notice the differences is when it's infront of my iphone camera and the cuts are being timed.

We both enjoy running our saws more than we do tuning them and timing them. For us it's not a pi$$ing match that's all about torque and speed. :)

+100

No doubt they all run good but if you would have told me the outcome instead of posting a video, I would have called horse hockey.:D The 441 running with those saws has set a new mark.:clap: Very impressive.

I agree completely. I thought a port job would make my 441 run WITH a STOCK 7900! The results were unexpected to say the least. The best part of the 441 for me is still the fuel consumption....well one of the best parts:)

Thanks for taking the time to make and post these videos. Always fun to see other guys working with and experimenting with their saws.

Mr. HE:cool:

You guys going to race them while milling next?

Maybe make a cant and then they can each take a slab off.

You guys going to race them while milling next?

Maybe make a cant and then they can each take a slab off.

That was an idea I had a while back. At least we would be making boards instead of cookies and it would b a longer cut to show power differences. I think it should be an event at timber sport competitions!

Latest posts

Back