Dolmar 7900 vs. Husky 288

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FourMoCajuns

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
How would these two stack up? The reason I ask is the 288 is the biggest modern saw I have run.

Sawtroll made metion that the specs on paper of the 7900 should outcut it...It has been too long since I ran a 288 to compare it with the 7900. I will tell you the 7900 is quite a bit lighter, though. Both are great saws. Sorry I can't be of more help

Well I think I am ready to start modding the 6401. I will start with a muffler mod and carb tweak. How do I remove the limiters?

A wood deck screw screwed into the little hole between the screwdrive slots and with a quick pull they are off without too much damage. I find it just as easy to take the carb off and use the dremel on the tabs. Even a pair of dikes will work with the carb on the saw. 6 of one, half dozen of another

Have no fear dude...

FourMoCajuns said:
How would these two stack up? The reason I ask is the 288 is the biggest modern saw I have run.

I will have a video BY sunday for your enjoyment of the 2 running side by side... We already ran'em. I let the dude with the 288 be the judge, his statement was I believe, "Holy Sh17, that thing is fast as sh17!!!!" The 7900 was considerable faster with more torque than the 288XP. Matter of fact according to him, he's going to trade both his huskies for Dolmars in the near future. He went from Stihl's to Huskies a few years back, now he's saying he really like the Dolmars... I like'em all buddy... If it does the job and doesn't slow me down.:popcorn: :rock:

I have a 288 that has served me well on & off for the last 17 years. It's been rebuilt several times, and runs well. But it is no match for the 7900. The first thing that attracted me to the Dolmar was the fact that it's weight was comparable to the 372, and it's hp. was comparable to the 288.
IMO the 288 was a very formidable saw in it's day, but it's just another dinosaur anymore.

Andy

I agree with folks like freakingstang. If you haven't run a 7900, then you can't be expected to understand how nice a saw it is to run. Light, smooth and even power.

Still think the tensioner is funky and a couple other design nits, but even though I worried about the air filter early on, it is staying cleaning than any of my Stihls by a mile. Not really sure why, except maybe due to the inlet being out of the normal chip stream.

I really like each one of my saws while I running them, but the 7900 is the one I generally reach for in the 24 in bar range. I cut a lot of wood the last week in soft fir with a 28 inch full comp setup (down trees in storm) and it's a screaming setup even with the bar buried in that wood. Once I hear the official verdict that the 7900 is gone due to EPA regs I will buy a second one for sure.

The 288 would be a better saw for longer bars such as a 32" with full comp chain. You could even run a 36" if need be. I doubt a 7900 would do as well with the long bars and full comp chain. I have both saws but haven't used the 7900 yet. I have used the 288 with a 32" full comp in 30"+ pin oak and it cuts really strong.

Oh really Mr. Mush,

How long have you been running 7900's? How big of a bar?

Lets hear from the expert:hmm3grin2orange:

By the way, if you spend your time running 20 or 24 inch bars on the big saws you are a moron.:rockn:

rahtreelimbs said:
I have time on both the 7900 and the 288. Where the 288 leaves the 7900 behind is on the bigger bars!

bwalker said:
I also might add that I have soem time ona 288 as well and it will leave the 7900 behind with a big bar IMO as it has more torque.

Not a surprice, I believe - but nevertheless good info.....:)

bwalker said:
I had a 7900 and have a ton of trigger time with it. It isnt a 066 beater and in fact isnt much faster than a 372. Good saw, yes. Light saber, no.
Hey Ben, are you comparing stock saws, or saws that have opened up mufflers or other mods?
I don't know about the 7900, but the 372 is pretty stuffed up stock, even more than the 460.

All stock, my 7900 is considerably stronger especially with longer bars than my 371. I don't think Freakingstang was saying that the 7900 (even mm'd) is a 660 beater, but just that it has enough juice that there are times one might reach for the 7900 when a 371/372 just doesn't get the job done fast enough.

I think he would agree that with bigger bars buried, the 66s got more snot yet. But since getting my 7900 I use my 066 less, which is how I read his post. Course no way I am giving up my 066 or my 395. For example, I occasionally pull a 42 inch bar with them, and I can't image the 7900 would be very happy doing that. But with a 28 inch bar, the weight and smoothness of the 7900 make it my first choice generally. With a 24 inch bar and a square chain, it's a civilized screamer and fairly quiet.

Again, I am comparing stock saws as that is what I run by choice. I realized the 372 with an opened up muffler is a bit stronger than the stock one, but I believe my comparison would still hold if all saws were mm'd.

Bottom line, the 7900 has enough juice in the cut, including grunt in the middle band, that it is a very versatile saw up through a 28 inch bar. Love my 371, but it is happiest at 24 inch or less. For the sake of fairness, I can't imagine the 7900 will be as good to me over as many years as my 371 has been. Nearly bombproof.

Last edited:
Back