Dolmar 7900 vs. Husky 288

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would be interesting to see a stock port timing numbers comparison on the saws in question.
If one saw is stronger than the next, it's nice to know how the saw is getting the power. If it's not at the expense of added weight, you have to wonder if it will be ultimately at the expense of longevity, fuel consumption, or something else.

Hey Ben, are you comparing stock saws, or saws that have opened up mufflers or other mods?
The 288 in question was stone stock besides have the spark screen removed, and my 7900 had the muffler modded, although it had little effect on the power of the 7900. I dont think the the mufflermod on the 7900 did much of anyhthing.

don't know about the 7900, but the 372 is pretty stuffed up stock, even more than the 460
Of the saws I have muffler modded the 372 gained the most. I know for a fact that my first 372 after I modded the muffler was nipping on the heels of my 7900 and was dead even for all intents and purposes in 16" maple. When ported a 372 is actually faster than a 7900.
ONe hting about the 288 is that it will be runnign when the 372 and 7900 have long since been worn out. My wifes uncle has a pair that have been to hell and back, not maintained at all,stored year round in the bed of his truck and have been ran on boat oil or what ever he could find cheepest for years. They both keep on truckin. The Lite model is on its second cylinder with the original crank.

My brother, a long time arborist, was here today for Chrismas visiting and to use my ProSharp to regrind some square chains (he doesn't have a square grinder).

He has an older hopped up Dolmar but mostly uses Huskies in his crew.

I had him try my 7900 and he was pretty amazed at how strong and smooth the powerband was. We did some side grained noodlecutting with a sharp square ground chain (which excels at this cut) and his was totally amazed at the cutting action.

He wanted to see how clean it was inside the air filter, but I haven't had the air filter off and the clip seemed obstinate. Any tips here? Didn't want to hurt anything so I left it on. The air filter is amazingly clean considering how many tanks through the saw, but of course I do need to take the filter off. Looks like the wire clip should just pry up, but it didn't seem to want to. Maybe I should break down and look at the owners manual for tips for removing the air filter clip.

Any tips welcome here on prying up that clip.

B_Turner said:
My brother, a long time arborist, was here today for Chrismas visiting and to use my ProSharp to regrind some square chains (he doesn't have a square grinder).

He has an older hopped up Dolmar but mostly uses Huskies in his crew.

I had him try my 7900 and he was pretty amazed at how strong and smooth the powerband was. We did some side grained noodlecutting with a sharp square ground chain (which excels at this cut) and his was totally amazed at the cutting action.

He wanted to see how clean it was inside the air filter, but I haven't had the air filter off and the clip seemed obstinate. Any tips here? Didn't want to hurt anything so I left it on. The air filter is amazingly clean considering how many tanks through the saw, but of course I do need to take the filter off. Looks like the wire clip should just pry up, but it didn't seem to want to. Maybe I should break down and look at the owners manual for tips for removing the air filter clip.

Any tips welcome here on prying up that clip.
push forward on top of clip.

sugarbush said:
push forward on top of clip.

Yep.

Here is the way it should look locked in...

attachment.php

here is the way it should look when it is ready to be lifted out (clip pushed forward). Just lift straight up once you push the clip forward.

attachment.php

Here is my filter after about 8 tanks or so. (since the last cleaning)

attachment.php

Freakingstang said:
Yep.

attachment.php

here is the way it should look when it is ready to be lifted out (clip pushed forward). Just lift straight up once you push the clip forward.

attachment.php

Here is my filter after about 8 tanks or so. (since the last cleaning
attachment.php
perty clean for 8 tank's, but they do seem to stay relatively clean.

Freakingstang said:
Yep.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here is my filter after about 8 tanks or so. (since the last cleaning)

attachment.php

Thanks! Somehow I was assuming the clip stayed on the saw and popped out of the grooved like the carb float bowls I am used to.

Once I realized the clip stayed with the filter, I just went out and popped it off and cleaned it no sweat at all. The filter was amazing clean although a few bigger chips had found their way into the bottom grooves. Inside of carb was perfectly clean.

I am glad I didn't try to force that clip off the filter like I was trying to.
What a great place AS is.

I still can't understand how clean the filter has stayed for as many tanks as I got through the saw. My 026 and 066 filter get pretty covered in just a few tanks generally. 066 prefilter helps a bunch of course.

Tried to give some rep, but as some have noted the system seemingly has gotten stingyier about letting me give it out.

Last edited:
Comparison

Ok guys, I got some results for ya's. I figured while running those 2, I might as well just run a few of'em so I could answer any future interest. Video link below...

FYI...
I tested a 266XP, 044, 7900, 288XP, 394XP and a 056 MagII. All saws had new chain except the 056, that baby was worn wayyyyy down. The conclusion I've come to with all the saws running side by side is there's really not a significant gain in speed from one to the other. The 266XP turned out a 10 second cut while all others were in the 6-8 second range with the Dolmar being the fastest one I tested. The biggest difference seems to be putting on a bigger bar and cutting larger logs. Results below...

266XP - 18" - just at 10seconds
044 - 20" - just at 7 sec.
7900 - 20" - just at 6 sec.
288XP - 24" - just over 7sec.
394XP - 24" - just at 7sec.
056MagII- 28" - at 8sec.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8624368755726284435&hl=en

Check your stopwatches and see how accurate I am... So you know, it was a 17" Elm I used for a cutting log...

Last edited:
ciscoguy01 said:
Ok guys, I got some results for ya's. I figured while running those 2, I might as well just run a few of'em so I could answer any future interest. Video link below...

FYI...
I tested a 266XP, 044, 7900, 288XP, 394XP and a 056 MagII. All saws had new chain except the 056, that baby was worn wayyyyy down. The conclusion I've come to with all the saws running side by side is there's really not a significant gain in speed from one to the other. The 266XP turned out a 10 second cut while all others were in the 6-8 second range with the Dolmar being the fastest one I tested. The biggest difference seems to be putting on a bigger bar and cutting larger logs. Results below...

056MagII- 28" - at 8sec.

Check your stopwatches and see how accurate I am... So you know, it was a 17" Elm I used for a cutting log...

Great vid. Enjoyed hearing the different saws as well.

I agree that my 7900 is fast for sure, but in big wood my 066 and my 395 outgun it pretty good.

ciscoguy01 said:

FYI...

056MagII- 28" - at 8sec.

Great Vid Ciscoguy..:cheers: :clap: Next time you are down bring that cam we can take some vids out back and try any in my collection.. Hey if you want Ill tip that big ole maple down and grab that 166 72" for ya to try.

Scott

cuttinscott said:
Great Vid Ciscoguy..:cheers: :clap: Next time you are down bring that cam we can take some vids out back and try any in my collection.. Hey if you want Ill tip that big ole maple down and grab that 166 72" for ya to try.

Scott

I agree, great entertainment!:rockn: :rockn:

...but it was only one cut per saw, in one size and type of wood, and we don't know which chains and sprocket sizes that were used on either saw....

Anyway, the coolest sound was from the 288xp! :rockn: :rockn:

Chains

SawTroll said:
I agree, great entertainment!:rockn: :rockn:

...but it was only one cut per saw, in one size and type of wood, and we don't know which chains and sprocket sizes that were used on either saw....

Anyway, the coolest sound was from the 288xp! :rockn: :rockn:

All with Square or Round chisel, oregon or Stihl chain. I'm sure you're not biased at all now are ya Troll??? lmfao :popcorn: :cheers: :confused:

Last edited:
ciscoguy01 said:
All with Square chisel, oregon or Stihl chain. I'm sure you're not biased at all now are ya Troll??? lmfao :popcorn: :cheers: :confused:

Dude didn't you mean to say round ground chisel...
you have some LG, LGX, and some JG from me 3/8" .050" I know the 7900 left here wearing a 3/8-7 sprocket.

How do you like that LGX chain??

Scott

Lgx

cuttinscott said:
Dude didn't you mean to say round ground chisel...
you have some LG, LGX, and some JG from me 3/8" .050" I know the 7900 left here wearing a 3/8-7 sprocket.

How do you like that LGX chain??

Scott

I've been cuttin with the new LGX chain since I got it on saturday morning. Prolly have around 6 or 7 hrs worth of cuttin on it. It's still just as sharp as it was right out of the box dude. Great chains bud. I'll definitely buy more of'em. I haven't had to sharpen one yet, I'll let ya know how that goes... :cheers:

A full day w/out sharpening is very rare for me as all the wood I cut is very dirty...

Nice vid Cisco. Good entertainment.:hmm3grin2orange:

That's a fine stable of wood cuttin' equipment you've got there.:cheers:

I've been cuttin with the new LGX chain since I got it on saturday morning. Prolly have around 6 or 7 hrs worth of cuttin on it. It's still just as sharp as it was right out of the box dude. Great chains bud. I'll definitely buy more of'em. I haven't had to sharpen one yet, I'll let ya know how that goes... :cheers:

A full day w/out sharpening is very rare for me as all the wood I cut is very dirty...

Hey cisco, what kind of bar is on the 7900 in your vid? Good? Availability? TIA

Gb

Hey cisco, what kind of bar is on the 7900 in your vid? Good? Availability? TIA

GB Titanium. I'm slowly going to replace all my bars with GB's bro. STRONG is all I can say. I've had many other bars that what I've already done to the couple I have would bend and be junk. For instance... Just last week I was removing that elm you saw me cut in the video, large end of that log was around 34-36", while dropping it off the tree it bent and pinched that bar, figure that's around 5000+ lbs, I've already gotten 1+ full cord out of that limb, with me yanking that bar around to get it out of that pinch. They aren't really any lighter, but they have just enough titanium in the mix to make them strong as he11 and make'em wear like iron. I started getting mine from the boys over at The Cutting Edge (166 or cuttinscott), they give me the best deals anywhere. As far as availability, dude, they had a wall full, from 12" to 36" right in stock, best selection I've ever seen. Call'em and see what kind of deal they can give you eh? I think they'll ship bars.?.?.? I swear by'em now... The bars and the guys at the cutting edge, lol... :clap: :cheers:

Latest posts

Back