Dolmar 7900w

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
\
Stihl's earliest HD filter set-up (the metal-caged pleated oil-type) that came out here in 1986 actually worked quite well, and was the gold standard here for years.

I forgot about that one... I get them in on big saws - either completely packed (never put the felt prefilter on when the original foam outer disintegrated), or like new...

They do get real cruddy - and are a bi?ch to clean. Most forgot to oil them anyhow..

7900 air filter

My experience cutting up white, black, red oak, hickory, elm, some hackberry & walnut dead & green here in mid missouri the filter looks no different than my 066 with the hd filter & pre filter after roughly the same useage. I am for sure going with the new setup when its available, has to flow more air. Probably will do some mods & change over to the unlimited ignition @ the same time:greenchainsaw: Hell i use to drink more than $80 beans in a few weeks & have nothing to show for it except another trip to get more. I've got the old style cover now any way, what does the current replacement cover cost? When is the new setup available, I assume any dealer will be able to get it? Sling'r wheres the mod pics?

Can't argue that one. I'm guessing that Dolmar wasn't anticipating the need for such a setup (don't forget, their market share is very small, especially among pro cutters, which are the ones that need that type of air filter). Stihl, on the other hand, especially the pro models, have a much larger market share among professional users.

It's the same way with Shindaiwa. The 577 is a pro grade saw, but the stock air filter can be inadequate for commercial users. But the number of commercial users running that saw wasn't enough to justify a stock heavy duty filter.

There could be a reason for their small market share. The 7900 is a heck of a good saw, but I've got a half dozen spare filter's. I go through 2 filter's a day minimum. Husky, and Stihl make it through on one.
If Dolmar made their saw's to stand up to western cutting their market share might grow. Everyone around here likes the way the 7900 cuts, but very few have bought one. They just won't put up with having to carry extra filters when they don't have to with Stihl, and Husky.

Yes the new filter upgrade looks nice, but I paid enough for my 7900's that I feel I should be able to work them as is, without paying another 80 bucks so I don't have to carry extra filters. I don't mind paying for an upgrade, but daayuum!

Andy

Yes the new filter upgrade looks nice, but I paid enough for my 7900's that I feel I should be able to work them as is, without paying another 80 bucks so I don't have to carry extra filters. I don't mind paying for an upgrade, but daayuum!

Andy

Maybe they should have upgraded the air filter in the first place instead of building a chainsaw-powered motorcycle!:monkey:

Can't argue that one. I'm guessing that Dolmar wasn't anticipating the need for such a setup (don't forget, their market share is very small, especially among pro cutters, which are the ones that need that type of air filter). Stihl, on the other hand, especially the pro models, have a much larger market share among professional users.

It's the same way with Shindaiwa. The 577 is a pro grade saw, but the stock air filter can be inadequate for commercial users. But the number of commercial users running that saw wasn't enough to justify a stock heavy duty filter.

It seems to me that if a saw is not justified to use a heavy duty filter, then it shouldn't be classified as a commercial use pro saw that will be used everyday.:cheers:

Maybe they should have upgraded the air filter in the first place instead of building a chainsaw-powered motorcycle!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DDWqJe1dCgY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DDWqJe1dCgY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umZpn610AkE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5ruRHNfpAg

I'm not trying to be argumentative here but, isn't this saw intended for commercial use? And I don't know of any Stihls that have or need a filter upgrade. This thing may not retail for $80 when it comes out. Looks like a nice upgrade.

Ummmmmmm................ 361 and 441? :)

Pretty sure that is a filter system upgrade. :)

Not starting a pissing match, just pointing out the obvious. :cheers:

I just misunderstood you.:)

I think the main point people make about the 7900 is the smallish filter area and that it seems to allow some stuff to pass through too soon.

The old Stihl's still had a large filter that filtered well. Even though they didn't filter like a Husky.

:cheers:

I just misunderstood you.:)

I think the main point people make about the 7900 is the smallish filter area and that it seems to allow some stuff to pass through too soon.

The old Stihl's still had a large filter that filtered well. Even though they didn't filter like a Husky.

:cheers:

I've never run a 7900, but a big saw needs to breath. If it is the same filter as the 6400, they are tiny for that size of saw with no pre-filtration.

Pretty sure that is a filter system upgrade. :)

Not starting a pissing match, just pointing out the obvious. :cheers:

Yea you are, Stihl filters have worked well for years maybe not as clean as husky but like many have said at least you could make it thru a reasonable cuttin day were as theyr not gettin it with Dolmar. 361 441 incorparated on new saws not an after thought.

Yea you are, Stihl filters have worked well for years maybe not as clean as husky but like many have said at least you could make it thru a reasonable cuttin day were as theyr not gettin it with Dolmar. 361 441 incorparated on new saws not an after thought.

Nope, still insist I am not starting a pissing match. Like you said, the Stihl filters worked good for many years so they couldn't have been that bad. They updated to a better system, that is all I am saying.

Precisely. They didn't bring the 441 out without the air injection and then get a ton of complaints and change it then. And as had been said before, the previous system was adequate.

Back