Dolmar gone and Makita stopping saw production?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would be a no brainer for some hungry manufacturer to pick up the design and patents for those saws. They‘d sell gobs and wouldn’t compete directly with Makita.

It would be a no brainer for some hungry manufacturer to pick up the design and patents for those saws. They‘d sell gobs and wouldn’t compete directly with Makita.
If ,they are for sale! Makita just ended 95 years of what Emil Lerp,the founder of Dolmar achieved! Why? Or for what "benefits"?! Still not answered by Makita! All they say it's protect the environment,as if battery powered chainsaws would fall out of sky for free,no pollution made to build them or for using them and recharge their batteries! But I'm amazed shocked how Makita just told their proffesional customers,the guys cutting all day trees in woods ,to go look AND BUY elsewhere gas chainsaws for their bussines!!! Unbelievable move if you ask me...
I'm sure Husqvarna,Stihl are sooo happy to welcome makita "ex-users" and sell them 2 stroke chainsaws... Since both companies are still europeans... WHERE they build their products/chainsaws it's another "delicate discusion"...
I know my Makita chainsaw IS built in Germany... Guess I need to "apreciate" that while it's still there...
Soon everything will have the "made in china" label...along with all the problems that mean...IMG_20220603_224213670.jpg

"Surprise us" with what? Can a chainsaw battery be recharged as fast as filling up the gas tank in a EA6100P? In the middle of woods? 20kms away from any "civilization"?! Guess not... So if staying in the woods for about a week ,how do you use your chainsaw,how do you recharge it,how do you cut trees?
Electric cars might be good(still not convinced on that one either) but as a BIG company who bought another reputable GAS chainsaw company DOLMAR,not giving the professional customer this option of GAS 2 stroke chainsaw,it's like shooting yourself in the foot! Really dumb , bad strategy "ideea"! It will show up in their "sales numbers"! Many need portability and dependable reliable gas tools,not some vacuum cleaner with a chainbar!
Makita should have left DOLMAR build its own GAS chainsaws again not deleting their old reputable name out of history ,just because they feel like doing so!
Wrong question. The real question is how many batteries you need to last a week in the woods vs how much gasoline. The gasoline will take up more space, but will be much cheaper up front that the cost of a multitude of batteries. But it is much faster to change a battery than to refuel, though both can be done quickly.

If ,they are for sale! Makita just ended 95 years of what Emil Lerp,the founder of Dolmar achieved! Why? Or for what "benefits"?! Still not answered by Makita! All they say it's protect the environment,as if battery powered chainsaws would fall out of sky for free,no pollution made to build them or for using them and recharge their batteries! But I'm amazed shocked how Makita just told their proffesional customers,the guys cutting all day trees in woods ,to go look AND BUY elsewhere gas chainsaws for their bussines!!! Unbelievable move if you ask me...
I'm sure Husqvarna,Stihl are sooo happy to welcome makita "ex-users" and sell them 2 stroke chainsaws... Since both companies are still europeans... WHERE they build their products/chainsaws it's another "delicate discusion"...
I know my Makita chainsaw IS built in Germany... Guess I need to "apreciate" that while it's still there...
Soon everything will have the "made in china" label...along with all the problems that mean...View attachment 993160
"Made in China" does not automatically mean bad quality. If the same production methods, material controls and other QC methods are applied, saws built in China will be just as good as their European or American or Japanese counterparts. But that is the key. The knockoffs such as Holtzfarma are not manufactured under identical conditions and Q/C to the saws they imitate. But if Stihl or Husqvarna set up a factory in China, I am confident the quality would not suffer. Political issues are another matter.

I don’t know about in Europe but here Dolmar/Makita were only ever a small fraction of the saw market. I would be shocked if it was more than one in 20 sold in the US. They are certainly moving towards battery saws, but I’m guessing they are doing so for profit and playing up the environmental factor for investors and public relations. It’s sad but the only three big companies are doing well and designing new saws.

Wrong question. The real question is how many batteries you need to last a week in the woods vs how much gasoline. The gasoline will take up more space, but will be much cheaper up front that the cost of a multitude of batteries. But it is much faster to change a battery than to refuel, though both can be done quickly.
I'm not going into woods with bags of batteries ,that's for sure!
A big chainsaw 110-120cc "drinks up " 3-4 liters of fuel per hour! If I cut 5 hours per day I'll need 20 liters of gasoline per day, so one week I'll need at least 150 liters of gasoline! Let's make it a 208 liter steel barrel ,along with about 6 liters of premix oil( I like to use 30ml of synthetic oil per 1 liter of gas).
I never used a battery chainsaw in woods on big trees ,but to get the same energy content in batteries as in 150-200 liters of gasoline I would probably give up cutting wood/trees! And I won't walk the woods with some honda generator to recharge batteries,PLUS gasoline wich is needed anyway to have a power source to recharge those batteries! Battery chainsaws for serious logging are honestly idiotic! Nevermind expensive! Maybe good for close to home work and still better have another 2 sets of batteries to be sure you finnish what you start! And I have worked with heavy duty Milwaukee impact tool ,1000 euros worth ,and after about 1 year of daily use the batteries would last half the working time what they would when new! I'm not buying a chainsaw just to become impossible to use after 1 year ,just because of some batteries!
A quality gas chainsaw can work 10 hours a day every day and still last 5 years if not more when using synthetic premix oil ,like I use in makita EA6100P (motul 2T 800 offroad).

"Made in China" does not automatically mean bad quality. If the same production methods, material controls and other QC methods are applied, saws built in China will be just as good as their European or American or Japanese counterparts. But that is the key. The knockoffs such as Holtzfarma are not manufactured under identical conditions and Q/C to the saws they imitate. But if Stihl or Husqvarna set up a factory in China, I am confident the quality would not suffer. Political issues are another matte
Quite a lot of "if's" don't you think?!
I'm not buying "made in china" chainsaw!
For next chainsaw was thinking about Husqvarna 3120xp but that Echo CS-1201 looks unbelievably better quality just by photos on internet! Will have to see and try both in person(if I will find any Echo CS-1201) but if I see any label "made in china" on either one I will not buy it! Got sick and tired(plus disgusted)of chinese products! They are not quality products and that's that!

I don’t know about in Europe but here Dolmar/Makita were only ever a small fraction of the saw market. I would be shocked if it was more than one in 20 sold in the US. They are certainly moving towards battery saws, but I’m guessing they are doing so for profit and playing up the environmental factor for investors and public relations. It’s sad but the only three big companies are doing well and designing new saws.
Who is number 3? I am not sure between Echo and maybe some others.

A big chainsaw 110-120cc "drinks up " 3-4 liters of fuel per hour! If I cut 5 hours per day I'll need 20 liters of gasoline per day, so one week I'll need at least 150 liters of gasoline! Let's make it a 208 liter steel barrel ,along with about 6 liters of premix oil( I like to use 30ml of synthetic oil per 1 liter of gas).
I never used a battery chainsaw in woods on big trees ,but to get the same energy content in batteries as in 150-200 liters of gasoline I would probably give up cutting wood/trees! And I won't walk the woods with some honda generator to recharge batteries,PLUS gasoline wich is needed anyway to have a power source to recharge those batteries! Battery chainsaws for serious logging are honestly idiotic! Nevermind expensive! Maybe good for close to home work and still better have another 2 sets of batteries to be sure you finnish what you start! And I have worked with heavy duty Milwaukee impact tool ,1000 euros worth ,and after about 1 year of daily use the batteries would last half the working time what they would when new! I'm not buying a chainsaw just to become impossible to use after 1 year ,just because of some batteries!
A quality gas chainsaw can work 10 hours a day every day and still last 5 years if not more when using synthetic premix oil ,like I use in makita EA6100P (motul 2T 800 offroad).
I have made the same decision. I have used nothing but gas powered saws for serious work. My current saw is an MS500i. But I do use a battery powered pole saw for tree trimming around the house. A gas saw would gum up due to lack of frequent use.

Quite a lot of "if's" don't you think?!
I'm not buying "made in china" chainsaw!
For next chainsaw was thinking about Husqvarna 3120xp but that Echo CS-1201 looks unbelievably better quality just by photos on internet! Will have to see and try both in person(if I will find any Echo CS-1201) but if I see any label "made in china" on either one I will not buy it! Got sick and tired(plus disgusted)of chinese products! They are not quality products and that's that!
You are 95% right. But I know of a few Chinese suppliers of industrial chemical processing equipment that make products just as good as, and sometimes better than, their Western counterparts. The types of equipment I am talking about are such things as centrifuges, evaporators, milling equipment, pressure filters, etc. I am unaware of any high quality Chinese chainsaws. But there is a big difference between portable tools and industrial equipment.

Wow, I like big saws and all, but few if any of our PNW loggers run 110cc - 120cc saws often, much less 5 hours a day, and we've got what considered big trees. Most here run 70 -80cc saws with the occasional 88 - 93cc saw for larger stuff. A few loggers and tree companies will keep a 120cc saw for the very rare giant trees. What kind and size of trees are you cutting?

Who is number 3? I am not sure between Echo and maybe some others.

Echo, Husky, and Stihl, at least in the US. Many of the smaller companies were bought out or simply went under. Echo bought Shindaiwa and Husky bought Poulan, Jonsered, and Redmax among others. Stihl is still Stihl but they bought Zama so they could do quality control while still producing carbs in China. Oregon has been bought and sold twice in the last couple of years.

My point is that it’s very easy for a chainsaw company to go out of business, especially in the mega corporate stock market economy they battle in. Battery Handheld equipment is the newest growing market and I wouldn’t be surprised if the profit margins where higher on the battery stuff.

Wow, I like big saws and all, but few if any of our PNW loggers run 110cc - 120cc saws often, much less 5 hours a day, and we've got what considered big trees. Most here run 70 -80cc saws with the occasional 88 - 93cc saw for larger stuff. A few loggers and tree companies will keep a 120cc saw for the very rare giant trees. What kind and size of trees are you cutting?
AND running one 5 Hours at approximately 1 Gallon per hour is a physical task I would brag about, but no way intend to attempt anymore.

Bags? You’re gonna need a pickup full….lol

That is an awesome idea!!! You could tow a diesel generator with the rivian to power it…..lol
what makes me mad is that Makita should have made a gigantic last chainsaw with the name Dolmar on it just for the sake of ending almost a century of good chainsaws. could have just copied a Stihl 090 AV . 137cc should be enough to end 95 years of production 😁😎

Latest posts

Back