Dolmar/Makita 6400/6401 Clutch removal tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobShelton

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have found a way to remove the clutch from these saws without purchasing the removal tool. My solution is to use an old 3/4" 6 point socket with every other flat side removed from it. It fits the clutch hub perfectly. For a piston stop I use a piece of vacuum line about 6" long and this combo works like a charm! Just be sure to turn the clutch hub clockwise to remove it or you will be buying a new flywheel ($$$) as the key is made into it. Don't ask how I know. This picture shows a deep well socket, but a shallow one would probably work better.
Rob

I did more or less the same thing with a scrench to fashion up an Echo outboard clutch removal tool. Cost me 10 minutes on the bench grinder. Works good. And still works as a scrench too! PITA outboard clutches...

Terrific Idea!

Dang, I imagine I could have done something like that with my Echo CS3900 last year in order to remove its clutch and change the sprocket.

I love making my own special tools with existing hardware. Great post! :rock:

I removed the clutch from my Makita 7901 today to replace the old black oil lines with new green ones I got from fordf150 (great transaction). It was probably the first time the clutch has ever been off as it took a LOT of torque.

I modified a spare scrench and it failed. Too much torque:
20171015_152018.jpg

The winning combo was a few tools I already had so I figured I would add to the original post. Pry bar with strike cap and a small sledge:
20171015_152152.jpg

New oil lines work great BTW. This is the first time I've actually seen oil sling off the chain:cheers:

Jutt,

I have another thread going on this subject but do you remember which way you had to rotate the clutch when striking it with the pry bar? Also, did you have to do anything else aside from just striking it?

Back