Dolmar / Makita 6401 Leaking Oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rm17742

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello All,

My 6400 / 6401 is leaking oil (while running) behind the clutch and out of the bottom. I can see some oil pumping out of the oil port when running it without a bar, but I think that the oil hose is probably defective. I have to get my hands on a clutch removal tool to get to the assembly and validate this.

My question is two fold... This seems to be a common issue (so I have read). Does it sound like a problem with the line? It must not be completely broken as it is still pumping a little oil. The other question is that I have read where there is an updated part number for the oil hose. Does anyone know what that is?

Thanks!

===Russell

The updated part # is 038 245 061

The new line is Green and the old one is black.

Steve

Thanks... Now I get to convince my local rental shop who is a dealer to order me a part. They don't carry anything in stock, but they seem to be pretty reasonable folks. Having a part number will help me out greatly!

My dist. had both lines in stock until a few weeks ago.

you shouldn't still be getting the old lines. my dist shows the old # is superceded by the # you posted. with either # you should get the new part.

Just ran my 6401 yesterday for the first time in a few months. It has always been an oil leaker. Yesterday it became a gusher. I don't have the tools or knowledge to tear into it. Does anyone have a ballpark figure of what it should in theory cost to have it fixed by a dealer?
Thanks
Al

Just ran my 6401 yesterday for the first time in a few months. It has always been an oil leaker. Yesterday it became a gusher. I don't have the tools or knowledge to tear into it. Does anyone have a ballpark figure of what it should in theory cost to have it fixed by a dealer?
Thanks
Al

I think $3 or $4 dollars in parts and about 15 minutes labor. No Big Deal, Make sure the line your dealer installs is green not the original style black one.

Scott

Last edited:
Back