Dolmar PS-421, Huskie 451 or MS250? Upgrading from bad rebuild of MS180C

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stim141

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My MS180C's Cylinder and piston self destructed on the exhaust port side a few months ago and I attempted to do a rebuild with an aftermarket. Didn't go well - after about 1 hour of mixed use the aftermarket died as well. Had new clutch side seal, sealed case with Dirko Red, the boot seemed fine and the carb was new. Must have overheated it or something else went wrong - or the part was crap (mismatched cylinder, rings or piston). Rings fused on piston and the cylinder is pretty scored - significantly worse than the genuine Stihl it replaced. Bought it from a place called L'Red Barn on eBay. The piston was a Platt and don't know what the cylinder was. The hinge pin actually turned blue at the ends so it must have been running VERY hot. It ran fine and idled perfectly the few times I started it - under load had plenty of power the day before. I checked the cylinder and piston by removing the exhaust and it was shiny/clean no marks. Fuel mix was new and I even ran it slightly richer than 50:1. Plug new and after a few starts - 1 or more tanks the plug electrode was brownish. Light cross hatch on the cylinder walls - it looked perfect.

Short - the parts are going on eBay and I'm in the market for a well built and slightly more powerful saw. Spending in the 300 low range. Looked at the Huskie 441, Stihl Ms250 and the Dolmar PS-421.

Out of the three I'm leaning toward the Domar although it has a few issues - can't do a 18" bar according to the website, the case is Magnesium which is lighter than Aluminum but Aluminum doesn't corrode if the paint chips and it can crack where AL won'l

The Huskie only has one bar nut - which is a concern because I've read it can loosen up and is very hard to keep tight. Switch seems very cheap - dealer support is lacking - even if they sell it.

The Stihl seems no better made than the MS180 that its replacing - just higher in power but the suspension system is the same rubber unlike the Domar's and the Huskie spring setup. Still seems like a low end saw even though people say its a good saw.

I got a price of 299 for the Dolmar which seems a little low - other dealers were selling it for 335 unless there is a special sale on the saws - know the 510 has been reduced to 389 with the shorter bar but can't confirm the price on the PS-421 from another dealer in the area. The guy quoting the 299 is a little far out. Should I be concerned about the magnesium vs aluminum construction? For 299 it seems extremely well made and the power output seems very close between the three although the Stihl and Huskie can run an 18" bar.

For the extra 50 if the 421 isn't truly on sale is the 510 a better buy?

Last edited:
Of those three, I'd choose the 421.

Magnesium is considered Superior to aluminum for chainsaw crankcases.

In this class of saw, I'd consider a RedMax g3800avs (discontinued, but still available), or gz4500.

Appreciate the replies. If I can get the PS-421 for the 299 and I can contact Dolmar and see if a 18" bar can be used then I'll go that way if not then it looks like the PS-510 would be a better all round saw because it seems just a little more powerful yet is still light enough to do quick limbing. On the 510 is looks like its going to be discontinued pretty quickly and replaced because its on sale - from corporate. What is strange with their line is that they discontinued the PS-460 which could handle a 16/18/20" blade was in the middle price point between the 420 / 520 but was lacking some of the easy start and emission features of the 421. The displacement is slightly higher on the 460 but the HP rating is the same for the 421 and 460. I'm assuming the 460 just has more torque to handle the larger bar length.

The MS251 wasn't been displayed at a couple of the local dealers. Seems like they are trying to get rid of their MS250's Looked at the specs and the price which is starting to get into the PS-510 price point which is a slightly more powerful saw. Specs look better than the MS250. On the 16" vs 18" bar choice - I'd probably run with the 16" most of the time but would like to swap to the 18" if I have to cut something larger but more than likely the PS-510 would be a better fit and I wouldn't want to over stress the 411 like I did with the MS180 and burn it up.

Honestly the MS180C dwas a good saw and it paid for itself about 15 times over by removing three two story River Birches that had three leaders per tree so I can't complain. Couple of estimates were in the 3500 range because they were fairly close to the house and they wanted a full crew. The diameter for each was fairly large 14" or more at each base and it did an amazing job at dropping them as well stripping all three. I'm sure I over stressed it but it continued to run for a few years with light use.

The difference in the real world between 16" and 18" bar is negligible, just buck the off side or cut from both sides. The 460 will have a little more torque than the 421, but also more weight. so it's up to you.

Keep the chain sharp!!!! the carb tuned, run good fresh fuel mix, and clean the saw up after each use. If you do that whatever saw you have will last a long time.

PS-421 can be upgraded to 18" .325. Sprocket, bars, and chains are all readily available.

I don't think a well broke in Cat free 421 will have any problem with an 18" bar.Break the saw in with the stock 16" bar and then make up your mind.My only real complaint on my 420 is the consumer grade stock bar,just not up to the quality and capability of the rest of the saw.

OP ought to buy that 359 in the classifieds. It is a smoking deal for less than the cost of any of the aformentioned saws.

My MS180C's Cylinder and piston self destructed on the exhaust port side a few months ago and. ...

For the extra 50 if the 421 isn't truly on sale is the 510 a better buy?

For a simple answer you need to clarify your needs! I will try to break it down for you.

Homeowner who needs to cut a few times per year. Or heats with wood in a well insulated house(i.e. not high volume wood needs) => 421 (best build in it's class! Built like a pro saw for a homeowner! Just that simple.)

Homeowner who heats with wood(high volume > 10 chords/year) or has his own forest that needs taking care of => Dolmar 500

Although I would prefer to get a 42cc saw (421) + a 60cc saw for high volume cutting.

In between these two fall's the 250. Old design but not bad. Typical Stihl pricing.

Never heard of the Husqvarna 451. But I would asume it to be similar to the 250 powerwise. A few pro saws out there also only have one bar nut.

The most important part for satisfying long saw life is maintanence(sharp chain, fresh fuel, etc.)! Even el cheapo saw's like the wild thing can cut a lot of wood if taken care of!

Good luck!

why do you want to run an 18" bar on a 40cc saw?

My ps420 runs well (and balances nicely) with the 16" bar it came with........

18" bar is for min 50cc saw and more like 60cc saw IMO.

Bar length envy does not exist here: msp_wink:

why do you want to run an 18" bar on a 40cc saw?

My ps420 runs well (and balances nicely) with the 16" bar it came with........

18" bar is for min 50cc saw and more like 60cc saw IMO.

Bar length envy does not exist here: msp_wink:

Actually most of the 42cc Poulan Pro's come with a 18" 3/8lp on them and they do pretty good. The 421 has a lot more nut than they do ,so it should be fine with it. I personally would stick with 16" but that's me.

Latest posts

Back