Dolmar vs stihl,husky.time for new trim saws.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozarktreeman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
ok guys time for me to retire a couple of 192-Ts.they have been awsome saws but time to let them go while they still have a bar to stand on.been hearing about dolmar,wondering about exp,with the ps-3410.or should i stick with what i know.and maybe move up to the mighty 200-T:chainsaw:

So far, I've had pre-mature breakdowns with Stihl, Husky and Dolmar.

Bad switch on Husky on day two.

Handle on Stihl breaks apart during week two for no reason - no impact or stress.

And Dolmar engine grinds into pieces after 12 hours of use with proper fuel mix and good maintenance.

So the Dolmar holds the worst reputation with me. But I suspect all are good brands, and obviously feel better about Stihl and Husky.

So far, I've had pre-mature breakdowns with Stihl, Husky and Dolmar.

Bad switch on Husky on day two.

Handle on Stihl breaks apart during week two for no reason - no impact or stress.

And Dolmar engine grinds into pieces after 12 hours of use with proper fuel mix and good maintenance.

So the Dolmar holds the worst reputation with me. But I suspect all are good brands, and obviously feel better about Stihl and Husky.

What model Dolmar? ............

What model Stihl??

What model Husky??

Its been debated; I"ll kick-in the Solo 637 - bang for buck! (at least in NZ)

Like Ultra asked???? WHAT MODEL??????

Scott

So long ago on the Dolmar, I don't remember. It was a smaller saw.

Stihl was a MS390 I recall - not a pro model. No excuse for the handle break though.

The Husky was a 385 XP - the switch thing.

I didn't list the models at first, because I'm sure that most of their saws are generally good machines.

But I'm sure that anybody else that might get a busted engine in the first hours of use, might also get a bad taste in their mouth like I did with the Dolmar.

But that was back in like 1990 - and I still don't want one now. The dealer was such a Dolmar guy, a repairman too, who also did chainsaw events with Dolmars - he did this huge sales pitch to get me to try it. He didn't know what to say when I walked in there the same month for a refund on the broken heap. He had that blank look because his favorite brand had let him down like when a man or woman's partner has cheated on them and been unfaithful.

Last edited:
those old dolmars were tanakas as i recall.

i'd go with the ms200t first off the bat.awesome saw.

i just got the new style husky 338xpt today via ebay.so far i'm impressed.they finally seem to be making progress.it's still a back up for the ms200.

200T, there is no other tree saw!!

LXT.........

200t

I've used 338xpt Calis since they came out. Nice saw. Recently switched to 200t. Awesome saw, so far. I've done some major takedowns with it from the bucket. I really like the Stihl chain. Time to put some Stihl chain on the 338 and have a cutting race with the 200t. :chainsaw: :chainsaw: Know nothing of the other brands. Of course I haven't had to.

I'm kind of suprised that hasn't been debated here before.

I'd have to say 200t

Oh, hold me up, I'm falling over laughing!

Got to agree...200t. But I'm biased, never used another brand of top handle saw.
I have an old 020t, it's still going...got a new 200t as the go to one, take out the spark screen and let 'er rip!

I have had great success with the Dolmar 7900. Powerful, minimal vibration, a real bear of a saw. Better than Stihl and Husky IMHO as I have had both.

Latest posts

Back