Dolmar...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:taped:

OK, it is true that there has been complaints about the air filter system of some Dolmar models, but in most cases I don't believe it is a real issue.

Just poor filteration or what?

Sent from me to you using my fingers

Ok. Another reason i was worried is that most saws with a primer bulb act weak.
Also we will be sawing about 300 truck loads of wood in the next couple months n wanting to know if this smaller saw will hold up.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

300 truckloads is a lot of wood. I would buy a used 60-70 cc saw rather than a new 40 cc.

I have a 420 I'm on my third gallon of gas since I bought it three weeks ago so it's getting used.If you are cutting that much big wood get a bigger saw with a pro bar or at least look into fitting a Pro Bar to the 421 at which point you will be into the 60ccish price range anyway.

Never heard of 'breather' issues, and primers making saws weak? :msp_confused:

The 420's nylon filter has been changed for a different flock on the new 421, so if it was an issue, which I don't think it was, then it isn't. The 421 is built like a tank and cuts well above what a 42cc saw should be expected to. Use it for what it is intended and you will have a fine saw.

The 421 is a great saw for what it is, though if it's larger wood the 510 would provide you with more power.

I have a 420 I'm on my third gallon of gas since I bought it three weeks ago so it's getting used.If you are cutting that much big wood get a bigger saw with a pro bar or at least look into fitting a Pro Bar to the 421 at which point you will be into the 60ccish price range anyway.

Handled an Efco 165(64cc) this morning couple of hundred more than a 421 but man that thing was light for the size of it.Aluminum block.

I was just asking what you heard the problems were?

Sent from me to you using my fingers

Dust getting past the filter, and filters getting dirty faster than on some other saws.

I have never said it is a real issue though, just something to be aware of.

I have the 420, and it is a great saw. . .mine was bought as basically a limbing saw, and has been used in sugar maple up to around 18" or so. After a MM and re-tune, it is waaaaaay stronger than any other 40cc saw I've ever run. In fact, it will give many 50cc saws a run for the money. As for the air filtration- my stihls at work have more of a problem with fine dust getting through the filter than my 420 (or my 7900, for that matter). You should easily be able to cut all day with no problems- mine has shown only a little dust on the filter after 5-6 hours of cutting.

300 truckloads @ approx 1/4 cord a truckload = 75 cords. I think he needs a pro quality saw w/ enough cajones to pull a 20" bar without undue stress to man or machine. I vote for a good used 036/360 and if he really wants to have a little fun...an 044/440. That way, when he is done cutting wood for 30 straight days(at 2.5 cords per day)....he will have something left over worth having. I cut a cord and 1/2 this aft with an 034 super...it was a workout...but I am 61. Certified "old fart". I will be :msp_sleep: soon.

Yes, even after all my praise of the little dolmar, I would personally want a 60cc saw with a 20" bar for that much/size cutting. . .036/360/361 used if ya like stihl, 357/359 used husky, 2156/2159 jonsered, etc.

Personally if i had the clams id go ps5105.
But i dont.

Have my super xl ao for the big stuff.:D

~5-Speed~

In that case, the 421 should serve you well and last a long time. They sure are a LOT of saw for the money!

Personally if i had the clams id go ps5105.
But i dont.

Have my super xl ao for the big stuff.:D

~5-Speed~

The 5105 is my current choice... if you have the cash get one. Otherwise the 510 is really not a bad choice, it just doesn't get the credit it deserves on this site.

Power-wise its pretty much right between a 5105 and 421.

Ill c if i cant help him get a good saw.

He saw a chi-com on big jack tools earlier. 58cc 20"bar for like 160 or so. Told him you pay that little and more than likely you get a bum saw.

~5-Speed~

Ill c if i cant help him get a good saw.

He saw a chi-com on big jack tools earlier. 58cc 20"bar for like 160 or so. Told him you pay that little and more than likely you get a bum saw.

~5-Speed~

By all means avoid the chi-com option!

One thing that hasn't really been discussed here is if the weight of the saw is an issue to your dad - or if it is a pure money issue?

Last edited:
Back