Don’t Make This Expensive Mistake Rebuilding Your Saws!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You’re welcome, I’m glad you enjoyed it.
On things much larger than chainsaws, seal installation can require a bit more creativity. There's a $100 single purpose oil seal tool for the transfer case for my Silverado for a tricky two part oil seal that's easy to ruin on installation, and I refused to buy the special tool to complete my rebuild. Instead I poured resin to the right circumference, and using a hand held router with an 1/4" straight bit, and a 1 3/4" Forstner bit on my drill press, machined my own version of the tool. Worked perfect.

sealinstaller2.jpeg

I hope this video helps you avoid an incredibly common, yet costly mistake!

I use plastic pipe. Drink bottles also work from a two liter bottle. It also works on hydraulic seals and steel rings. The plastic will fit any size or surface without fear of damage from a tin can or aluminum cans.

I will use this tube tip method no doubt.
Thanks

I use plastic pipe. Drink bottles also work from a two liter bottle. It also works on hydraulic seals and steel rings. The plastic will fit any size or surface without fear of damage from a tin can or aluminum cans.

I will use this tube tip method no doubt.
Thanks
Thanks for sharing the alternatives!

On things much larger than chainsaws, seal installation can require a bit more creativity. There's a $100 single purpose oil seal tool for the transfer case for my Silverado for a tricky two part oil seal that's easy to ruin on installation, and I refused to buy the special tool to complete my rebuild. Instead I poured resin to the right circumference, and using a hand held router with an 1/4" straight bit, and a 1 3/4" Forstner bit on my drill press, machined my own version of the tool. Worked perfect.

View attachment 1135432
That’s awesome haha, love it

Some of the small engine crankshaft seals for lawn tractors do not even have a spring inside now days. (and are suppose to be OEM seals but I suspect rebranded China clone stuff.
I've been removing the spring from the old seal and install it easily into the new replacement seal. I also started saving the old seal springs into a special parts drawer.
AND on the vertical shaft engines PTO shaft the seal will usually start leaking/seeping after just a few hours of use if they do not have the spring for the extra tension on the lip.
I can see the Chinaman smiling every time I see such.

Ronnie Milsap can see that not having a spring inside the seal lip is not a good thing..

Back