Don,t Buy At The Department Store !

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawracr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Check out the new Husky's, very user friendly, things like decompression valve and antivibration are IMPORTANT.

Decompression valves

Compression release valves only work for a short time before they gum up. My Jonsey is probably the same as Husky and only worked for a month! Dealer says same. Just anouther knob to break off :D I don't know how but I bent mine a while back. Big arms are a good key to starting a big saw. :cool:

Please dont direct words to that affect to other members. Thanks, Administrator

If you didnt know he doesnt like compression releases.

Last edited by a moderator:
who needs compression releases. if you can't pull the saw over with full compression you shouldn't be running the saw. that is they way i figure things. i have a few saws that pop off 180-190 lbs of compression and they were made with out releases.

Hey Andrew, ever see a man 60 plus want to cut wood and can't cause his saw is to hard to start? Hope I got a deco valve when I get there, even old guys like saws. I sell'em, I service'em, I race'em, I like'em !!!
Jon

whell the way my grandfather ddi ti was when the saw was too much for him to start he got a smaller saw and gave me the old saw and let me and my dad cut the big stuff up. but this didn't happen till he was 84.

"if you can't pull the saw over with full compression you shouldn't be running the saw"

-precisely - if you cant start it, you need to use a smaller saw that you can - you certainly wont be able to control it if you cant even start it. my 372 is much harder to hold on to than to start - i never use the decompression valve - even though maybe i should to take it easier on the starter mechanism, not much for screwing around though...

Well Tundraotto, I kinda like being modern and not to much like LOOK WHAT OG DO!! Ford trucks said it best years ago, Works like a truck, Rides like a car. Decom valves are nice 1st thing in morning, why work more then I have to cuz, The day ain't over yet. :cool: Oh yes, how many of you guys hang on to your brute saws all day,everyday?? Little things add up. :D

I'm glad my o88 has a compression release,starting it up for the first trees on a sub zero day is a hole lot easier and wastes alot less energy.It also saves damage to the starting dog as well not tearing up your hand when a high compression saws decide they would rather not pull through.About next you guys will be saying drop starting is the way to go.:mad: Dan

drop starting is the way to go...unless you have a long bar:D

...just kidding...and looking to freak people out - thats why i do it all the time :p

Last edited:
In order to make saws lighter manufactures have to start with a smaller power head and increase horsepower by increasing compression and ignition timing, hence the need for a decompression valve, or in a Stihl, Elastro-start, try an 066 with out it.

We use the damn things in trees above the ground,on the ground bent over backwards,and there is still a wrong way to start a chainsaw.I say I decide how to start a saw.

yes treeclimber - i have quite a bit of experience with chainsaws of quite a few sorts, but no im not an arborist or a professional chain saw user- if thats what you mean. and yes while i may be somewhat overly opinionated its a free country last time i checked - and yes, i love to dropstart and always start that way! am actually fully able to control my 372 with my left hand - if i couldnt i wouldnt and i wouldnt own one either.

and yes i think compression valves serve no practical purpose apart from saving wear on the starter mechanism - and yes have dropstarted a 066 more than a few times (not my saw) without ever trying its compression release, (yes in the cold - midwinter in the last years snowstorm) so there - just stating my own opinions formed by my own experiences. just like everybody else.

AHH HAA !!!

Tundraotto there it is, If you were a pro saw user you would realize the profitability of a decom valve :p As I said before When you run one of these brute saws all day every day, every short cut counts. It's not about how hard you go, It's about how you go. I've had 3 days off since sept. 1st, and am on my 12th load of logs, and am running a minimum of 11 cord of split wood per truck load. $$$$$$$$$$ :D :D Decomp valves--- A small touch of heaven!!!

Yeah, come on, Brian. I can get the jist of what the reply said but I want to see the actual words myself. Since I was glued to the Lions game (debacle) yesterday I wasnt able to be on here much.

aah haa!

no i would not - i think the thing is completely useless and if i would use it to start my saw - i would definately need to work out until i was able to just start my saw without messing around. and youll just have to agree to disagree with me on this one.

Decompression valves actually do help in saving pull ropes. I would use one on an 088 or a TS760. I do drop start my saws too on occasion, but out of a bad habit. I do use the chain break when doing this though. I never rev up when doing this either. Drop starting has nothing to do with how big your manhood is, its just a bad habit.

Back