Don?t just trust the dealer to do it right- verify. 346XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

formula_pilot

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Don’t just trust the dealer to do it right- verify. 346XP

Bought a new Husky 346XP NE a couple months ago from a local dealer.

I was cleaning and sharpening the saw last night , and took the time to look the bar over. The saw was sold to me with a 0.325/.050 NK chain (“standard” for the 346XP), but I just noticed the dealer put a 0.058 regular kerf bar on it. I have run about a gallon of fuel through it using a bad bar/chain combo! The funny thing is, I think it performed very well. I had the understanding that a regular kerf bar would interfere with the cut of a NK (pixel) chain.

I guess I should have looked it over better when I picked it up-it never occurred to me that a dealer would put a wrong bar/chain combo on. That is the kind of thing I would expect that from a big box store.

Since all my chain is 0.050, I may just use the bar for bench sharpening…..I think it may be too late to ask the dealer to swap the bar.

Bought a new Husky 346XP NE a couple months ago from a local dealer.

I was cleaning and sharpening the saw last night , and took the time to look the bar over. The saw was sold to me with a 0.325/.050 NK chain (“standard” for the 346XP), but I just noticed the dealer put a 0.058 regular kerf bar on it. I have run about a gallon of fuel through it using a bad bar/chain combo! The funny thing is, I think it performed very well. I had the understanding that a regular kerf bar would interfere with the cut of a NK (pixel) chain.

I guess I should have looked it over better when I picked it up-it never occurred to me that a dealer would put a wrong bar/chain combo on. That is the kind of thing I would expect that from a big box store.

Since all my chain is 0.050, I may just use the bar for bench sharpening…..I think it may be too late to ask the dealer to swap the bar.

I just picked up a 346xp NE from eBay (2007). I'm impressed with its performance, its going to be my timber framing saw to replace my trusty old 51. Did you say the dealer had you running .050 gauge chain on a .058 bar? If so, you can't trust some of those dealers out there, Maybe if you let him know what he did, he'll throw you a spare chain or something.:cheers:

I would take it back. used or not, the dealer messed up and unless you have a use for it you did not get what you paid for. not being pricky, just matter of fact business obligations.

every dealer, or helper, can make a mistake so they deserve a chance to make it right before writing them off.

k

The reason it worked well probably is that the bar and chain were new.
They will wear fast if used for long that way though, and when the chain is filed back, cutting a narrower kerf, the bar probably will start binding in the kerf.

I would personally bring it back. I don't see any reason that they shouldn't take it back if it isn't the right part and they installed it.

Can't hurt to ask anyway. Just be friendly and they'll treat you right. :cheers:

Yep.....Take it back. They made the mistake and should back up their sales/service. You should not be expected to take the saw apart and inspect it.....and it is not unreasonable to expect that they should fix their mistake when you discovered it in a reasonable length of time.

Back