Dont always trust what someone says

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daserlon

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Last summer i bought a 281/288 hybrid saw for $500. I thought that was a bit steep but it came from a good shop and was supposed to run good. It Was supposed to be totally rebuilt and ported. It runs weeker than my dads ol stock never been rebuilt 1989 288xp. While i was doing a base gasket delete i checked the cylinder, mainly exhaust port, no porting that i could see. I even drug out a 281 piston to make sure it had a 288 p/c. Its 288 but doesnt run well. The base gasket delete definetly helped but doesnt run much better than dads ol 288xp.

Not askin for help just spouting off. I know the guy who built it so i'm havin a hard time bringing up the conversation. I still deal with him for parts and advice. I love this site! Great advice and people with knowledge here. Thats why i joined. Their advice/knowledge helped me build the saw i'm most proud of.

Not askin for help just spouting off. I know the guy who built it so i'm havin a hard time bringing up the conversation. I still deal with him for parts and advice. I love this site! Great advice and people with knowledge here. Thats why i joined. Their advice/knowledge helped me build the saw i'm most proud of.

take the jug off and ask him to show you how he got his timing numbers....you want to learn how to port saws and are curious....

play stupid and learn from a real pro how to do it... :)

"ported" means different things to different "porters" heck some think if you drank some "port" while you were cleaning up a muffler....its "ported"

Can a 281 be considered a hybrid when it is converted to a 288? That's about the only difference between the two saws to begin with. It isn't like your putting a jug on there that wasn't meant to be there.

If the piston and cylinder are in good shape then it's likely a carb problem. That thing should be impressive in stock form.

Is it an oem 288 cylinder, if it ran better without the base gasket, and terrible with it, maybe it has an excessive amount of squish. Get some solder and check the squish. And compression if you can. And if it has a decomp valve, try and see if it's leaking. I have a 181, and in stock form they should have a lot of power.

As far as i know its oem p/c. I'll check compression and squish on all 3 of my 288 saws shortly. It had a carb kit done before i purchased it so it should be good. I tuned it according to madsens instructions.

Inevitably, these threads always deteriorate down to somebody asking "who did it?" And then the Internet lynch mob comes out...
... Not saying this guy doesn't deserve it, but before you air your public grievance you might consider just bringing it up casually to him to see what he says. I agree with some who posted above. Bring him the jug and just ask for clarification, tell him your disappointed in the performance and ask him for advice on how to get your saw dialed in.

Inevitably, these threads always deteriorate down to somebody asking "who did it?" And then the Internet lynch mob comes out...
... Not saying this guy doesn't deserve it, but before you air your public grievance you might consider just bringing it up casually to him to see what he says. I agree with some who posted above. Bring him the jug and just ask for clarification, tell him your disappointed in the performance and ask him for advice on how to get your saw dialed in.
Great advice.

Latest posts

Back