Don't Complain If You Are Too Lazy To Help Yourself

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to many people actually get up and shovel a load of manure and build a garden...

I just hauled two loads of manure last weekend...and I'm getting the posthole digger this weekend to build a big raised bed.

I have "one of those" neighbors...sees the pile of firewood and expects me to give them some to burn in their fireplace, I don't think so. If the neighbor would even offer to help split the rounds, I'd give them enough for their fireplace.

I don't mind helping those that are willing to help themselves, or that are willing to barter services/good; but I'm not here for a free handout. I give the FIL firewood, but he doesn't burn a small pickup load a year; and he does lots to helps us...so its a fair trade.

That's like a load of hickory I cut and split for a college bunch to have a cookout of some kind. I had enough wood split, by axe and wedge, that the rear bumper on the pickup was nearly dragging. The fellow complained I didn't have enough for cut for him. I gave him the ax, sledge, and wedges and pointed him toward the tree and told it was free. He could cut and split till he popped his tires. He paid me and drove off. They soured me on cutting for the public. Never did it again. I ain't one to listen to much #####ing at all.

I'm a '43 model. Not worth even considering. Not good for much of anything. :sad4:

Don't be so rough on yourself, most of us geezers can still out work these Millienials/Gen X'ers

I just hauled two loads of manure last weekend...and I'm getting the posthole digger this weekend to build a big raised bed.

I have "one of those" neighbors...sees the pile of firewood and expects me to give them some to burn in their fireplace, I don't think so. If the neighbor would even offer to help split the rounds, I'd give them enough for their fireplace.

I don't mind helping those that are willing to help themselves, or that are willing to barter services/good; but I'm not here for a free handout. I give the FIL firewood, but he doesn't burn a small pickup load a year; and he does lots to helps us...so its a fair trade.

My bro just bought one of the roller/roll-off setups for his p-up, going to try it this weekend w/compost, see how it does.... Speaking of free handouts, sounds like the one SIL, and the step SIL, they want my help, pick my brain, but neither has offered to do squat for me, but when it's time for a free meal/cookout/beer, watch out. The soon-to-be SIL has done more to help out in the last 2 mo. than the other 2 combined in 10 yrs., he may be a keeper.

I took matters into my own hands and dropped a bunch of standing dead ash to expand my shooting range, I left them long and placed them onto a car trailer and put a for sale sign for $200, if cut and split the yield would have been over 2 full cord, after the second call I got wondering why I was selling the trailer so cheap I pulled it down to my buddies shop And gave him the wood.

My long term plan is to sell off the nine acre woods part after I pull out some firewood for myself and dig out all the nice pine trees for replanting. Too bad there is not some local AS members that could help themselves before I sell, I'd rather see someone get the wood.
Where in NY are you ?

Crap 10 year old thread :laugh: :crazy2:

For about the last week one of the clerks at the local store has been complaining they are out of seasoned wood, finally I got tired of hearing it and offered him the opportunity to go cut some standing dead ash and oak from one of my properties, I explained it is easy in and out and there is a driveway...easy picking. He said he was not interested even after I said it would be free, just help yourself. I don't understand how someone can whine and then not help themselves.
I didn't read any replies.... You can't help those who refuse to help themselves. Not worth worrying over.

For about the last week one of the clerks at the local store has been complaining they are out of seasoned wood, finally I got tired of hearing it and offered him the opportunity to go cut some standing dead ash and oak from one of my properties, I explained it is easy in and out and there is a driveway...easy picking. He said he was not interested even after I said it would be free, just help yourself. I don't understand how someone can whine and then not help themselves.
That whiner is a Sure sign of a Bernie supporter.

I have only added on to my land holdings since I posted that thread, I have tons of standing and very recently fallen ash. Anyone on here that is near the hamburg ny area is welcome to help themselves. I am on a five year plan to sell all my properties and move closer to my son so we can buy up rentals near him. When he took the awesome job he has now I could not bring myself to hold him back even though I knew I was cutting my right hand off. He is the only person I ever worked with that we didn’t even have to talk, he was always in the right spot with the right tools and always showing me something he learned to make the job faster. All those years have paid huge dividends as he is just as comfortable handling millions of dollars for his current employer or rebuilding an engine for a friend. I guess raising him by myself since he was 9 didn’t hurt a bit, he even went to work with me and had his own office at 10.

i MADE giant.piles of firewood I was working a lot! other people were playing I would get ask for hand outs. Not one single person ask to help. I have a old saying comfort kills. Pay attention and you will see it. One example a young person setting on a porch all day I worked very hard that day and did a 4 mile run after work. We did the how you doing talk. She was still bored suffering from bed rot. I had a little free buzz. My thoughts blame the government not their job to make you happy. The government was never in the happy business

Back