Don't hate me for what I'm about to do.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No dought if I was a tech still, I would never show up with a chicom box. Back in the day, I had a nice MAC box full of good stuff. I still have a lot of the tool truck tools that the loan sharks sold me. I think that first box (repo'ed ) cost me well over $3000 and I have nothing to show for it. I also have a whole drawer full of SO stuff that should be covered under their lifetime warrenty and they won't replace any of it.

986b7eca1b5de07fc38640725e721f07.jpg
I have that box, and it's a great piece. Mine is a few years old and holding up very well. I got it on sale I think it was 300 bucks. Great box, and worth at least twice what I paid for it.

i'm not a fan of anything snap-on really. why would a buy snap on tools when i can go buy a "lesser" brand with the exact same lifetime warranty. never had any problems with the lesser brand tools. years ago i had a snap on chest i got from one of my dads friends. i did have it in a shop that was a bit humid but not to bad i would say. the bottom rotted out of it. got a beach after that and it was pretty well done for when i got it but worked for a bit. got a bunch of plastic tool boxes now that were cheap and are a bit of a pain in the ass to dig into to find **** but they work and don't rot out. i do want another tool box that will hold all my **** so it is all easily accessible but i think a larger shop is a priority before that.

I have an older craftsman 3 piece stack and let me aid you in the proper direction. Heavy duty ball bearing slide rated for heavy use. If you buy anything less and fill the drawer to capacity with out fancy organizers you will regret it when the drawer starts to buckle, I have a lower quality craftsman roll around bench with drawers and the 2 larger drawers at the bottom buckled from the weight of my drills and such with no batteries attached.
I'm very displeased with it. The heavier duty ones are really the way to go kobalt, husky, craftsman and waterloo are all pretty good if you make sure it's ball bearing slides. I even saw a sweet looking Dewalt toolbox at home depot that seemed sturdy. May look a bit before buying something like a roll around from harbor freight.

FYI. The us general boxes are higher quality than any box sears current has in stock at the store. The only box craftsman sells that is heavier duty is the pro line. I can't remember who makes them anymore, or if they even still sell them, but I think it was Waterloo. Craftsman boxes are some of the lowest quality boxes out there. For those that haven't seen one in person, the us general line is very close to the lower end snap on at 1/5 the price.

If you're looking for a top quality box at a start up price and you insist on a name brand, ask your mac guy for a trade in tech1000. The triple bank is a sweet box at a great deal as tool truck boxes go. I sold a pile of them.

Well, I finally got the top box. It was oos when I picked up the bottom. This thing is big. Over 40" wide and nearly 60" tall. I think most all the tools will fit. Heck, might even have to ask for a few more for x-mas.

This thread has really got me wanting a new box.. I'm really eyeing the 44" HF box, and it's hard not to just buy it and put it on the credit card.. Heck I almost headed up there today to buy the 26" box that they have on their extended Black Friday sale, but I figured it I was gonna spend several hundred bucks, I might as well pony up and get the one I really want.

I'm gonna have to liquidate some things and save a little money before I pull the trigger. Damn college student budget....

The roll cabinets horrible freight sell are some of the best built economy boxes out there. Craftsman have nothing on them anymore - it's flimsy junk; might as well buy HF instead.

I've got snapon and mac cabinets, but they came from pawn shops and craigslist. If I wasn't able to get Stanley pro or Lista's (damn good stuff for more reasonable money), I'd still never pay tool truck prices.

The roll cabinets horrible freight sell are some of the best built economy boxes out there. Craftsman have nothing on them anymore - it's flimsy junk; might as well buy HF instead.

I've got snapon and mac cabinets, but they came from pawn shops and craigslist. If I wasn't able to get Stanley pro or Lista's (damn good stuff for more reasonable money), I'd still never pay tool truck prices.

All of my tool cabinets and roll-away cart is old Craftsman stuff. When I say old, I mean more than 15 yrs. old.

They have held up very well and I see them lasting me until I'm too old to give a damn anymore.

Well, I finally got the top box. It was oos when I picked up the bottom. This thing is big. Over 40" wide and nearly 60" tall. I think most all the tools will fit. Heck, might even have to ask for a few more for x-mas.
Now you just need the two side boxes and you will be set. [emoji4]

All of my tool cabinets and roll-away cart is old Craftsman stuff. When I say old, I mean more than 15 yrs. old.

They have held up very well and I see them lasting me until I'm too old to give a damn anymore.

My old (1976) craftsman had seen better days and it didn't have roller slides and the wheels were rated for #50 so it seemed. I sold it QUICK on CL for $150..... sold a saw to get into the new boxes for little cash out of pocket. Of course I will most likely be adding some new tools. Have you seen these?
http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-t...-quick-release-swivel-head-ratchet-96781.html
Damn nice ratchet....supposted to be made by the same people that make the $90 matco equivant

You can't go wrong with the US General box. I bought a big Craftsman box about 5 years ago to replace my smaller Craftsman rollaway. At the time I knew nothing about US General boxes and AFAIWC Harbor Freight was junk. Knowing what I know now I would certainly buy the US General over Craftsman.

Latest posts

Back