Don't you hate it...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbfarmall

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Working on my Poulan 655. Getting down to splitting the cases to replace one half and to find and eliminate an alleged airleak. Anyway, I go to remove the cylinder and it is stuck. Usually a tap or 2 with a hammer handle does the trick. Nothing. For whatever reason this case has good, solid places to pry against so I try that a bit and then tapping again. No luck. The base gasket is certainly not original so somebody had it apart. Don't know why because the saw is very new looking. Hardly a scratch anywhere.

Well, tomorrow morning, I'll get the old small propane torch out and do a little heating around the cylinder base. Maybe whatever is gluing it together will release before I do any damage.

Chris B.

I know a couple of guys who use JB weld for base gasket. Seems to me that would make it pretty tough to remove, especially if the jb weld finds something to grab to.

Maybe that's what the last person who put the cylinder back on your saw did.

retoocs555 said:
I know a couple of guys who use JB weld for base gasket. Seems to me that would make it pretty tough to remove, especially if the jb weld finds something to grab to.

Maybe that's what the last person who put the cylinder back on your saw did.

That would be a pretty rotten thing to do. I don't recall seeing any peeking out of the gasket, but I'll know more later today.

Chris B.

Got it loose with a little heat, tapping and light prying. Can't tell what it is but certainly isnt' JBweld.

Now, it's off to the store to get some new allen head case screws for this saw, and fuel line.

FYI, this saw has the most screws holding the case halves together that I have ever seen. I counted 15. I like the 042/048 Stihls: only 4 screws, but then again it's no wonder they had problems with airleaks.

Chris B.

Back