my First Stihl - 029 saga continues - tank replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the MS290 bar stud graveyard

Jeepers Fish, you could have made a slight investment in the Bar Stud puller and saved all those studs. I've never seen anyone use the "jam nut" tactic described here, but I'd like to see it if it works. Personally I just hook up my half inch drive ratchet and the bar stud remover and it's out in less than 30 seconds. But I'm watching with interest here :popcorn:

Going to pick up an 029 today, and some more parts saws. Happy sawing!
Tommy

B200,
I guess we have no takers on the double-nut tecnique!!!!

Uhhhhhhhhhhh is there a prize for such a feat? You know it can be done in 3 minutes and 31 seconds with the double bolt method,hehehe

Gee thanks, Thall

Did you go and make that video special just for me???

I have not had luck at the double nut method, but now I shall try again.

P.S. You are my hero

Just messing with ya. Before I had the special socket to remove that dayumm stud I used to use vice grips and then just replace the stud. I read somewhere about the double nut method and I tried it and I was surprized it actually worked without damaging anything. That method will do in a pinch but the socket made for that stud is the best way to do it...

Last edited:
Jeepers Fish, you could have made a slight investment in the Bar Stud puller and saved all those studs. I've never seen anyone use the "jam nut" tactic described here, but I'd like to see it if it works. Personally I just hook up my half inch drive ratchet and the bar stud remover and it's out in less than 30 seconds. But I'm watching with interest here :popcorn:

Going to pick up an 029 today, and some more parts saws. Happy sawing!
Tommy

My stud remover still marrs them up a bit, since I am doing this for resale, I don't even waste the time.

THall, you pretty well proved my point.

My stud remover still marrs them up a bit, since I am doing this for resale, I don't even waste the time.

THall, you pretty well proved my point.

No pro blem bo brother Fish. Them ole 290's give the new comers a fit, we gotta help em best we can,:cheers::cheers:

You can do it the double nut way, but it boogers the threads on the stud and nut, and I can't sell the nuts like that.

If you can't spin them on and snug by hand, then they is "Boogered".

You can do it the double nut way, but it boogers the threads on the stud and nut, and I can't sell the nuts like that.

If you can't spin them on and snug by hand, then they is "Boogered".

I'm with ya and agree. That method should only be used when you have no other choice. Its ok in a pinch but by no means the correct way its suppose to be done..

I'm with ya and agree. That method should only be used when you have no other choice. Its ok in a pinch but by no means the correct way its suppose to be done..

Nice va diddy o Master, gotta love the King... I have used the double nut method on many occasions...but with metric nuts that don't cost much... I do not recommend to use them Stihl bar nuts as they are a bitty too expensive....., cheap ya know...LOL.

Nice va diddy o Master, gotta love the King... I have used the double nut method on many occasions...but with metric nuts that don't cost much... I do not recommend to use them Stihl bar nuts as they are a bitty too expensive....., cheap ya know...LOL.

No need to tell me what I already know, yes your a cheapie, you do ride a BMW bike though so your not as cheap as you claim so I forgive ya,hehe

That two nut method is by no means endorsed by me. It should only be used if you have no other way available to get the stud out. My co-worker and me just did that to show what a two nut method is. Durn shame we didn't have some lady folk in the room , we could have showed other variations of the two nut method,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

My wife and her sisters at the reunion was always popular...............

They always won the volleyball tourney..........

Ok, Ok.......

Here is their victory photo.......

I should just say, "Do a search!!!!"

My wife is the "petite" one......
attachment.php

Latest posts

Back