Attempting my very first F#@$%@ng seal replacement 385xp , need advice!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Done lots of them and have found a lot of the older ones don't fit tight on the crank- factory flaw- and in that case I replace the crank with a known good one around the shop and a lot of people won't agee with this but NWP makes a good crank- for the price of that bearing I usually replace it anyway and flywheel side with skf 6203 c3 and when putting that seal in I usually use a step to put that one in and out side a little coating of red loctite- great learning experiance eh - 390 an 385 are the same cases etc

Done lots of them and have found a lot of the older ones don't fit tight on the crank- factory flaw- and in that case I replace the crank with a known good one around the shop and a lot of people won't agee with this but NWP makes a good crank- for the price of that bearing I usually replace it anyway and flywheel side with skf 6203 c3 and when putting that seal in I usually use a step to put that one in and out side a little coating of red loctite- great learning experiance eh - 390 an 385 are the same cases etc
I haven't tried it myself, but I've been told you can knurl or make a bunch of punch marks on the crank so the bearing has something to interference fit onto & then install it with bearing retaining compound to help lock it in place & ensure it doesn't leak

My PtO side seal arrived today (35$ shipped!!). A mechanic ive used mentioned that there might also be an O ring in there that needs replacing as well. Not sure if that's correct? Any thoughts? Also, this will be my first seal installation. Grease it and tap it in with a socket?
IMG_3620.jpeg

Interesting that they don't say they suit the 390... wonder if that means they only work on the earliest 385's? Not sure what exactly changed with the later saws but I thought the bearings & seals were the same throughout

Interesting that they don't say they suit the 390... wonder if that means they only work on the earliest 385's? Not sure what exactly changed with the later saws but I thought the bearings & seals were the same throughout
no change - same case same seal- a 390 is just a 385 with a bigger bore - rebuilt loads of them' popular saw in my area

I don’t believe that’s the case. I’ve rebuilt lots of them. The flywheel side uses a standard bearing and a metal/rubber seal that we see on most chainsaws. The PTO side always has a heavy duty sealed bearing. And they are typically only available at the dealer for about $40 apiece
Send me the bearing spec to see about a replacement quality bearing/seal. Something may be available.

there is a step- 372 doesn't

Um- are you keeping up?
This is NOT a regular stock standard seal- it does NOT seal on the crank- nor on the bearing pocket- this seal fits between inner and outer bearing race- miles larger ID than the crank stub- so no step to work over.

Back