MS361 seal replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi again, thanks for all the replies. No, mine isn't an M-tronic. It's a pretty basic setup like my 036. To Vintage Engine Repairs, yeah, I know randomly replacing parts isn't the best way to go but I really thought it was going to be an electrical issue with it sounding like it was missing and occasionally running backwards. I figured a cheap coil would be a simple fix... not to be. It alsmost seems like there's other things going on with it with the inconsistent idle but I haven't had a chance to tear into it more. I'll be sure to post what I find in case it might help someone in the future.
2-strokes will indeed run backwards... but usually not well. This is a clue that the timing is likely off either due to a defective coil or busted/missing flywheel key.

2-strokes will indeed run backwards... but usually not well. This is a clue that the timing is likely off either due to a defective coil or busted/missing flywheel key.
Actually they will run perfectly fine backwards. The reason the run wonky when backwards is typicly because a timing issue causes them to do it. If you started a saw backwards with properly set timing and put the chain on backwards it would cut no different.

Actually they will run perfectly fine backwards. The reason the run wonky when backwards is typicly because a timing issue causes them to do it. If you started a saw backwards with properly set timing and put the chain on backwards it would cut no different.
If running backward, I suspect that the flywheel wouldn't cool as efficiently. Also, some starter engagement mechanisms might have some objections. Do oil pumps care which way the pump is driven?

If running backward, I suspect that the flywheel wouldn't cool as efficiently. Also, some starter engagement mechanisms might have some objections. Do oil pumps care which way the pump is driven?
No kidding...I wasn't suggesting one do this.. I was suggesting a two stroke motor doesn't care which way it rotates.

Back