double tie in advice?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He doesn't come out on site much and I don't think my crew will have a problem with it, we're a pretty close bunch and look out for one another.

Some people shouldn't supervise a bucket of ****

Last place I worked at had one, I was on the ground running the portawrap on a twin stem takedown when a large piece of stem got caught up on a stub. I moved in to lock off the portawrap so the dude in the bucket could cut it free when the rigging point failed. A pretty decent chunk of Ironbark stem landed a couple of feet from where I had been at the porty. Found out later the supervisor had instructed the bucketeer that morning not to bother with a rigging pulley and to just use a caribiner... An alloy caribiner...
An alloy climbing caribiner that had been shock loaded to **** on a large pine removal the week before, it had then been put back in the climbing box, unmarked and ready to climb on...

I had all my own climbing gear so I never needed to use the company prusik (I'm serious) or the mish mash of **** they called climbing equipment organised by the "Big ****" himself

My point?

Just because someone is in charge doesn't mean they should be or that you should listen, that man was a ****ing liability and he was teaching newbie climbers really bad dangerous habits and this was at a council contractor! I managed to teach one young climber to trust his own judgement and make his own decisions.

Didn't stay long at that company and thankfully the supervisor got sacked a few months later, although he took the weakest climber and started on his own, God help them and their customers, that bloke has already been responsible for at least one serious injury and he thinks he knows it all

Today I realized I have a mental block at about 30-35 feet. I was 100% comfortable to that point. Is that common for new climbers?

Just pretend you heard/felt cracking, do an in tree structural assessment and double check your climb gear and setup.

You're subconsciously reassessing the risk to climbing. The likelihood of falling is the same, but the consequences are now much higher and this presents a higher risk that you are having problems with. I think you need to grind through it to get your confidence up.

You're subconsciously reassessing the risk to climbing. The likelihood of falling is the same, but the consequences are now much higher and this presents a higher risk that you are having problems with. I think you need to grind through it to get your confidence up.
Thank you, I'll be back in one the next chance I get.

Back