Doug fir dying?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougfir

Reaction score
I have a small doug fir farm in the Valley side of the Oregon Coast range.

Just noticed that a few of my 12-year-olds have died, and have turned a beige color. Some others, about 200 yards away and maybe 100 feet less in elevation have a number of branches that are this color, but the trees are still mostly green.

I walked the acres in February and this was not present. I haven't had the opportunity to look much beyond the sides of the road, so don't know if this is widespread or not.

I thought perhaps swiss needle cast, but the color seems all wrong, This is a real beige color....Unlike the yellowish brown you would expect.

Any ideas?

Beggin' my manners in this edit, welcome to the site!! Enjoy your visits!

Can you get some pictures? I am surrounded by firs and have not heard of such a thing, it is usually the pines here that are most sensitive. Might be an idea to get close and personal with them, check out the dead ones, check out if the 'biege' color is a mold (like dusty covering) or just the color of the dead tree, am curious as I have heard there are some new fungi strains affecting the trees here, one that kills people (and has more than a few of my tree workin' bretherin wondering too). Just wish to add to the ol' learning curve. My one question that came to mind is the type of soil they are in, is it an environment where this species has successfully grown before, or is this a crop in a new place (hope I worded that right) that may not have the necessary acidity etc.? Could you do a soil analysis? ie. ph level and so forth, of the surrounding area? Jest wonderin'.

Last edited:
Back