Downgrade from 70cc to 60cc

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those chains/bars are very common.

I ran a 16" bar on my 2165 (physically the size saw as a 372) and balance was fine.

I double checked Bailey's and you're right. I was thinking of the bars for the 372xp. There's only one 18" bar. There isn't any 18" chain that will fit my saw at the local Husky dealer or at Lowes however. Only the .325 in that length.

In a similar mind set a few years back, I built myself a 372 (Original "non" xt) based saw with 365 top plastic and filter. Put an eighteen inch Sugihara bar & Oregon LGX...great saw. It was both lighter and easier to deal with than the high top version. Certainly lighter and more compact than a high top 372xt with a 24 inch bar! The new XT versions have packed on a bit of size & weight as compared to the original ones. Since then I took a "damn the torpedo's" approach and built myself a 562 with a 20 inch Total lite bar. Its a match of a stock 372 from a power perspective and a WHOLE lot lighter, less vibration too. I haven't had any of the much talked about issues. Maybe because my tweaks were about ridding heat from the system or maybe I just have the statistically good bits and pieces, really couldn't say. (It started as a toasted 2012 version, got a new set of "six screw" cases, an el48, & my tweaks which include a popup, cut cylinder base & flange, muffler mod, cover mods) It was hot as hell this summer. No issues of any kind yet.

That Dolmar (Now Makita) looks interesting and seems to be a legitimate option in my mind...especially if you have a dealer like the "Cutting Edge" around. The Echo I see a lot, hear a lot of chatter about on line....but have never ever seen one in the field so have no opinion. I personally rather see in real life than read about when it comes to mechanical things. I have seen the Dolmars. :)

I've seen the Stihl's as well....

Watching your video discussing this very subject was the inspiration for this thread and my thinking about dropping down in size. I thought pretty hard about it climbing down the steep West Virginia mountainside. After a couple hours of cutting and hauling it back and forth, up and down through the brush, I came to the revelation that I was hunting squirrels with a .338 win mag.

Buy a new 555 husky and stop listening to the Internet's. Smallest 60cc saw out there, actually smaller than many 50cc saws. No high top cover, small bar mount for a light combo of power/weight/size. Wanna 60cc saw the size of a 70cc saw or 50cc saw. Triple nickel is the correct answer.

If I where looking for a camp saw I would grab a little Dolmar 421. Although I totally get wanting a 6100

Well, it's more than a camp saw. It's the 'big' saw in my stable. I originally got it in 2014 to cut huge 35"-50" cookies from old growth maple that I'm making into furniture. The saw has paid for itself and I've pretty much run out of huge trees to cut. I'd still like to have a capable bigger saw for when I need it, but it's hard to justify that much money sitting around not getting used. Other than trying to justify it's existence by trimming a few trees around the house which it was way overkill for, this saw has only cut 5 big trees. I still have other stuff to cut, but nothing a 60cc saw can't handle. Our Stihl 039 has been used and abused. I kind of want something to take it's place and send the Stihl into retirement.

I double checked Bailey's and you're right. I was thinking of the bars for the 372xp. There's only one 18" bar. There isn't any 18" chain that will fit my saw at the local Husky dealer or at Lowes however. Only the .325 in that length.
FWIW whichever route you go with a saw, chain can be purchased online through Left Coast Supplies,Baileys, or Loggerchain.com for significantly less than you normally can get locally. I usually order at least three loops to reduce the shipping cost per loop.

I would put money on having regrets sending that 372 down the road! If I could only have one saw, the 372 would without a doubt be it.

I know, I know. The 372 xp xt is a beast and has never let me down when I called for it. I call her Excalibur. It will even pull a 28" bar buried in rock hard maple....leaning on it. :)

It might be the best saw of the best saws. My back and arms don't think so though.

Buy a new 555 husky and stop listening to the Internet's. Smallest 60cc saw out there, actually smaller than many 50cc saws. No high top cover, small bar mount for a light combo of power/weight/size. Wanna 60cc saw the size of a 70cc saw or 50cc saw. Triple nickel is the correct answer.

Id buy a 2260 and let er' rip.

You can get a nice used Makita(Dolmar) 6421 for about $300 at your local Home Depot

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

My last ms261 w/ 20" bar wasn't the greatest experience. Many are saying the new one is loads better, but I doubt it would keep up with a stock 60cc saw, much less a MM'ed saw. Not sure though, just guessing.

Also, I have a 40cc saw for small stuff.

It's pretty darn close. I have a ported 261 by Brad & have run it against a stock 362...pretty darn close with a 20" ...the 261 running .325 though
I'd much rather run a ported 261 than a stock 362. A ported 261 should run a 20" bar just fine.

This is the original MS261 with a 20" bar.

This is the new edition, reduced weight MS261C with a 16" bar. The can't is Ash.

Here's a 550XP with only a MM against a stock 362.

I know, I know. The 372 xp xt is a beast and has never let me down when I called for it. I call her Excalibur. It will even pull a 28" bar buried in rock hard maple....leaning on it. :)

It might be the best saw of the best saws. My back and arms don't think so though.
I feel the same way, they perform well for me for bigger saw duties, but I don't like handling them long for smaller stuff. I feel much more comfortable with an 044-ms440 as an all arounder. For a light compact 60 cc the 034 super is my top choice. Top notch with an 20" 72dl bar for me. The 562 xp feels pretty nice, but I don't think it is as compact as the 034, I like the angle of Stihl handlebars better for comfort also, and newish saws are lot more of an lost investment if in an accident, stolen,or turn out to be a lemon. I rarely make enough money to buy top of the line new . Usually need the funds for more necessary things including multiple chain saws.
I haven't much experience with Echo's but for the $ might be a good choice for you if it indeed feels comfortable for your back and arms like my Stihls do to me. I have felt comfortable with some 50ish Dolmars and Jonsereds also but they still didn't feel quite as lite comparing them to the older stihl models such as an 026.

I had sort of the same decision, but I was adding a smaller, lighter weight saw to my larger 371xp. For me, though, it turned out that my 371XP weighs the same 13lbs as the 60cc saws (as opposed to the new 372XT weighing like 14.2lbs), and the 6100, though it seems to cut REALLY well, is right around the weight of my 371, at 13.22lbs.

I ended up going with the (10.8lb, 3.8hp) 550XP, and it's not totally broken in yet, but this thing rips! Due to the AT and bearing warranty concerns, I'll be leaving it stock for 2 years (yeah, yeah, yeah, I say that now...), but with an 18" .325 bar, it's really pretty lightweight and handles REALLY well!

Mike

I'd much rather run a ported 261 than a stock 362. A ported 261 should run a 20" bar just fine.

This is the original MS261 with a 20" bar.

This is the new edition, reduced weight MS261C with a 16" bar. The can't is Ash.

Here's a 550XP with only a MM against a stock 362.

Wow, that 362 is a turd! They handle like a tacklebox, no less.

Wow, that 362 is a turd! They handle like a tacklebox, no less.

I hope folks don't make final decisions based on a video or three, maybe "ball park" assessments ....:) So many variables. Simply the chain can make huge and noticeable differences on a saw. How do you know how those variables factor from a video? (Something I know a little about) Hands on is the best, never know how YOU will react to a saw unless you experience it. Bet there are a few happy 362 owners... just as I'm a happy 562 owner even though you would think they were all POS's ready to blow after some of the online information! ( Although bang per buck I still would recommend a 555 / 2258 & Sugihara 18in .325 mod if picking from the Husqvarna/Jonsered stable ) Have to say GTG's have a purpose, but they aren't all the time everywhere!

Below is a post of mine comparing size and weight of three of the "60" cc Stihls. I believe there are a lot of perceptions that are not grounded in reality. I was criticized for weighting them fully loaded as they have different fluid capacity, but other than as an unintended log chock I have found no other use in the woods for an empty chainsaw. Ron

No angry letters, please. I won't compare Stihl to another brand as I haven't run any other 60cc saw. But I do have an 036Pro, a ported MS361 and two MS362 (non-M). I have never noticed any handling differences, but I don't have much time on the 361. Never felt any weight difference either.

Just out of curiosity, I topped off with fuel and oil all three models and weighed them with 20" bars on the bathroom scales. Bear in mind that the 036 holds 625cc of fuel and 320cc of oil, the 361 holds 685cc of fuel and 325cc of oil, and the 362 holds 600cc of fuel and 325cc of oil. The 362 was wearing a green bar while the other two were wearing yellow bars. I assume the green bar is lighter but I don't know.

The results: 036Pro right at 18 1/4#; 361 right at 17 3/4#; and 362 just over 18#.
View attachment 420778

036Pro
View attachment 420779

View attachment 420780

I also eyeballed the engine widths with a tape measure. 036Pro and 362 appear to be identical at around 7"; the 361 around 6 3/4". Overall width appears to be the same. The bulkiness of one over the other appears to be just an optical illusion.

View attachment 420781

Ron

Back