Downgrade from 70cc to 60cc

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I honestly don't think a 60cc saw would be enough weight savings to justify getting rid of a 372. I would as others have said look real hard at 50cc saws. Though I would grab the 5105 over the 550 just because smoothness and torque are higher on my checklist then weight and narrower. But my needs very from many even here.
Husqvarna wise I would look real hard at the 555 and 545. That 545 is overlooked by many but is really a good little saw.

I hope folks don't make final decisions based on a video or three, maybe "ball park" assessments ....:) So many variables. Simply the chain can make huge and noticeable differences on a saw. How do you know how those variables factor from a video? (Something I know a little about) Hands on is the best, never know how YOU will react to a saw unless you experience it. Bet there are a few happy 362 owners... just as I'm a happy 562 owner even though you would think they were all POS's ready to blow after some of the online information! ( Although bang per buck I still would recommend a 555 / 2258 & Sugihara 18in .325 mod if picking from the Husqvarna/Jonsered stable ) Have to say GTG's have a purpose, but they aren't all the time everywhere!

That was mostly a tongue in cheek comment based on the resident Husky fan opinions of the "fat bottomed" 362. I have handled one thougg and was not impressed...it feels like a 70cc saw to me with less power.

While I think the echo 590 is the best bang for the buck out there, trading off a 372 for one seems like a bad decision. It's a great budget 60cc, but it ain't no 372. Put that lightweight bar on the 70cc saw and get the best of both.

The 590 will be much more down on power than a 60cc saw has to be, and also a bit heavier than it has to be. Quite a lot of plastic parts as well (but not the crank case).

Below is a post of mine comparing size and weight of three of the "60" cc Stihls. I believe there are a lot of perceptions that are not grounded in reality. I was criticized for weighting them fully loaded as they have different fluid capacity, but other than as an unintended log chock I have found no other use in the woods for an empty chainsaw. Ron

Those pesky scales and tape measures sure can clutter up things. LOL

Although fact tends to lose over belief. Me, I prefer to do hands on and draw my own conclusions vs. have a bunch of web jockeys tell me what I should think, feel, do, buy, own, use...
I bought and used different saws that receive the most hype here but they didn't do the same for me. I already had what felt best, performed to my liking for me, for the purpose I used them for.
A lighter saw doesn't always feel lighter working it, especially longer periods of time. Fit and balance to the operator seems to be the bigger factor. Try using a pole chainsaw vs. a standard chainsaw a few lbs. heavier for an exaggerated comparison.

I have a 394. Tank or two through that, and then go pick up my 371, it feels like a wiffle ball bat!

I get ya, but use the 372 for awhile and then switch to a Echo CS400 like I did this past weekend.

It makes you start thinking maybe I could get this done with a 2 lb lighter 60cc saw.

Back