Downsides to ported saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weedkilla

Ain't no guru of nuthin'
Reaction score
Obviously this is a very open ended question, as different saws will react differently, and different tuners have different approaches. But what are the downsides to a ported saw?

Coming from a background of two stroke bikes, I have rarely seen a port job that really improved a bike, they would become complete top end screamers, and bog down trying to come out of corners, or they would become hand grenades.
A saw operates over a smaller rev range, so perhaps raising the power, but reducing the operating range works? I've noticed some tuners talk about widening the operating range, perhaps this is advantageous?

Obviously there are advantages with raising compression, cleaning out casting imperfections and smoothing shapes, lowering cylinders requires port timing to match. I get all that. But nothing comes without a price. Increased noise - almost all the tuners seem to open up mufflers. Increased fuel usage, well more power requires more fuel. Increased emissions, as epa type organisations have clamped down down on maybe this is where the tuners come into their own?

I've only ever run stock saws, and some are better than others, some just go about the job in a different way. Some will just keep chugging away, others scream but if they bog at all its all over.

Fuel mileage will vary but if a woods ported saw was run next to a stock saw you may have a 5-7 minute difference in refills. The power/speed increase will likely still have more wood on the ground after filling up and taking a 5 minute break. Compression will help burn the fuel more completely but with this you get heat. The beauty of port work is the heat is evacuated faster.

Cons of port work is a little added cost and voided warranties. I can't really think of any disadvantages but I'm open to hear them.

Fuel mileage will vary but if a woods ported saw was run next to a stock saw you may have a 5-7 minute difference in refills. The power/speed increase will likely still have more wood on the ground after filling up and taking a 5 minute break. Compression will help burn the fuel more completely but with this you get heat. The beauty of port work is the heat is evacuated faster.

Cons of port work is a little added cost and voided warranties. I can't really think of any disadvantages but I'm open to hear them.

Maybe Moody is right in a way why not just buy a bigger saw to start with standard saws will get the job done and have warranty and better life span

McBob.

Maybe Moody is right in a way why not just buy a bigger saw to start with standard saws will get the job done and have warranty and better life span

McBob.

Wait until It's out of warranty then get it ported, the power to weight ratio is so good you wont need a bigger saw, after using ported saws I can only see positives.

Brad beat me to it... They are addicting... that and more fuel consumption are my only downfalls to it.. which, to be honest... I don't mind. If it takes more fuel, it means more lubrication is headed through the engine. And that is never a bad thing.

To give a better answer, reliability is not a concern with a ported worksaw. Probablhy one reason is that proper jetting is the turn of a screwdriver away, much unlike rejetting a bike. A properly ported worksaw is just as, if not more, user friendly than a stock saw. You should end up with a saw with more torque, more RPMs, and start and idle just like a stock saw. You already hinted to one of the other big differences, and that's the fact that a chainsaw operates at WOT 99% of the time.

Hmm, so its all positives (apart from the noise and irrelevant increase in fuel usage). Sometimes I think I'd prefer if the saw ran out of fuel sooner, I wouldn't be so far away!

But then if I have a lot of walking to do I use one of these - Series 2 Combo Hydration Pack | Liquid Containment Bladders & Liners ? Fuel, Water, Petrol, Diesel, Water Storage

Felling feral trees can leave you with an empty tank and a long walk really easily some days.

The noise thing still annoys me, but if that's the price........

Hmm, so its all positives (apart from the noise and irrelevant increase in fuel usage). Sometimes I think I'd prefer if the saw ran out of fuel sooner, I wouldn't be so far away!

But then if I have a lot of walking to do I use one of these - Series 2 Combo Hydration Pack | Liquid Containment Bladders & Liners ? Fuel, Water, Petrol, Diesel, Water Storage

Felling feral trees can leave you with an empty tank and a long walk really easily some days.

The noise thing still annoys me, but if that's the price........

Ear Muffs are cheap

McBob.

Much truth in what you say. I love ported saws, but saws like the 7900 came from the factory ported.:msp_tongue: IMHO it has more to do with sloppy execution by the manufacturers than the EPA or anything else.

Anytime you raise power you more than likely shorten the lifespan of the engine. Hell you're removing the plating on the port chamfers.:dizzy: Sure you may get more wood on the ground, but lets be honest, who has the hard numbers on that? I honestly haven't seen anything 100% conclusive. IMHO the best thing you can do to a work saw is mod the muffler.:potstir:

The Devils advocate I play.:smile2:

The biggest downside is you'll need to get all your other saws ported. The fuel argument is a bit invalid. They they use more fuel per time unit, but they get more work done per time unit also. In terms of fuel used to get the work done, ported comes out ahead from my experience. That's great if you're paying a crew, saves you money and gets the job done faster.

The 'buy a bigger saw' argument is also a bit redundant. I've got bigger saws. And bigger saws. But who wants to use them? I run saws all day every day, and it isn't the joy that it is for guys who run them for fun. I love it when we get a new guy on the crew who hasn't had much experience. They're so eager to take out the biggest saw in the truck, and their last boss probably never let them. It's like the old tom sawyer story whitewashing the fence though;

New Fish "awwww man, look at that big boy! I bet that just rips through the wood!"
Me "yeah, she's a lot of saw alright. We normally don't let new guys run the big saws"
New Fish "Couldn't I please! I'll do such a good job! That chain will never touch dirt!"
Me "well, you seem like a decent guy, tell you what... you buy the crew lunch and we'll give you the honors"
New Fish "thanks mate! you won't regret it I promise! You're the best boss ever!"

Haw haw haw... At the end of the day that poor guy can barely stand straight to walk home! Meanwhile I'm trying to use the smallest lightest saw I can find! Porting a saw means you don't need a bigger saw. Well, you still do of course. But port that one and you won't need a BIGGER saw. Well, you still will of course, but port THAT one....

Shaun

Ha! Gold.

Thats why I have MY 562. I try and make sure nobody else uses it. Maybe I need a ported 550 and let the 562 go into circulation!

The biggest downside is you'll need to get all your other saws ported. The fuel argument is a bit invalid. They they use more fuel per time unit, but they get more work done per time unit also. In terms of fuel used to get the work done, ported comes out ahead from my experience. That's great if you're paying a crew, saves you money and gets the job done faster.

The 'buy a bigger saw' argument is also a bit redundant. I've got bigger saws. And bigger saws. But who wants to use them? I run saws all day every day, and it isn't the joy that it is for guys who run them for fun. I love it when we get a new guy on the crew who hasn't had much experience. They're so eager to take out the biggest saw in the truck, and their last boss probably never let them. It's like the old tom sawyer story whitewashing the fence though;

New Fish "awwww man, look at that big boy! I bet that just rips through the wood!"
Me "yeah, she's a lot of saw alright. We normally don't let new guys run the big saws"
New Fish "Couldn't I please! I'll do such a good job! That chain will never touch dirt!"
Me "well, you seem like a decent guy, tell you what... you buy the crew lunch and we'll give you the honors"
New Fish "thanks mate! you won't regret it I promise! You're the best boss ever!"

Haw haw haw... At the end of the day that poor guy can barely stand straight to walk home! Meanwhile I'm trying to use the smallest lightest saw I can find! Porting a saw means you don't need a bigger saw. Well, you still do of course. But port that one and you won't need a BIGGER saw. Well, you still will of course, but port THAT one....

Shaun

Well said Shaun
Stock saws are not much good for blokes that use saws all the time.:msp_rolleyes:

When the boss is using his 395 and we've got big wood to cut I get left the 088, I don't mind but its a brute for long periods and real unwieldy. I bit the bullet and I've got my very own 660 coming from Randy which should sort that problem and probably cut faster

I'll put it this way, my ported 372xp pulls a 28" bar wearing 3/8" round chisel chain equal to my old stock MS660 if I'm not leaning on it while being a good bit lighter and with way better A/V. With a smaller bar, it flat spanks my old 660. I do miss my old 660, but eventually a 395xp will be what I buy to replace it, again for the A/V concerns. I've run a ported 346xp which was very nasty and seen videos of MS261s that both Brad and Stumpy have built and there is some amazing potential in them, especially for their weight and size. I get a kick out of running bigger saws, but when I'm actually doing a paying cleanup/removal job, or spending the entire day cutting, I want the most production for the least weight within reason. I just bought my 562xp and have less than a tank through it, so it's still very tight, but some day both my 261 and my 562 will likely be ported. The throttle response and added power in the cut is addictive.

Back