Downsides to ported saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, a ported saw makes more power, thus making more heat. Yes, the NiSi lining is removed from the edge of the port. However, neither have shown to be a problem on a ported work saw. There are a LOT of ported work saws out there. If these were real concerns, we'd know about it. They're non-issues. I have multiple saws out doing daily production, including the screaming little 346s and 261s. Reliability is not a problem.

Grabbing a bigger saw simply doesn't do it for me. I'd much rather run a ported 50cc saw than a stock 70cc saw. If I want 90cc power, I'd much rather run a ported 70cc saw. It's not just a power to eight thing. I like the attitude and way they run. It's hard to describe in words how a good ported saw is just "desperate" to cut wood. They run with a "sense of urgency".

Yes, a ported saw makes more power, thus making more heat. Yes, the NiSi lining is removed from the edge of the port. However, neither have shown to be a problem on a ported work saw. There are a LOT of ported work saws out there. If these were real concerns, we'd know about it. They're non-issues. I have multiple saws out doing daily production, including the screaming little 346s and 261s. Reliability is not a problem.

Grabbing a bigger saw simply doesn't do it for me. I'd much rather run a ported 50cc saw than a stock 70cc saw. If I want 90cc power, I'd much rather run a ported 70cc saw. It's not just a power to eight thing. I like the attitude and way they run. It's hard to describe in words how a good ported saw is just "desperate" to cut wood. They run with a "sense of urgency".

When does the ported six cube come in?..... LOL

A 440 that has a serious attitude and can do most of the work your 660 does! Plain and simple, most stock saws are boring, just another tool. A ported saw makes the work fun.

So, Mr. Brad. If there was one Husky and one Stihl you would port over all others, which would it be?

346? ms261? 272? ms440? 361?

This ? isn't exclusive to you either, but as a builder, you have insight most of us do not...

Something as to your rationale as well, but you would supply that anyway.

So, Mr. Brad. If there was one Husky and one Stihl you would port over all others, which would it be?

346? ms261? 272? ms440? 361?

This ? isn't exclusive to you either, but as a builder, you have insight most of us do not...

Something as to your rationale as well, but you would supply that anyway.

My favorite 50cc saws are the 346, with the 261 a close runner up. Next would come the 440/460 hybrid and 372XP. Next would be the 390XP. With a combination of those saws, there's little to nothing you can't handle.

lets just end this argument,,, mastermind did mine and he did it for work not speed,,, this a 372xp,,, this should end the argument of whether or not to port or not to port,,, randy ported mine for work,, I noticed an improvement on both,, probably 20-25%,,, for me they are great
this is with mm but not ported
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/V6TWANjDOzI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

this is after the porting and in the same log

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/10aUUxoPl18" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

here is my 346xp before porting

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Zc68UwiFbZk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

now after

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0DppGwFHYyg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Great Video. The 372/346 did turn out very nice. I've decided to go forward with porting porting my 346-OE,
and have the clams to do it as well as one of the 372's, but can't decide weather to send the 372 or the 372xpw.
I also was originally concerned about the possibility of reduced longevity of a ported saw, but they seem to hold up
just fine from what I read on here. Decisions, Decisions....

Great Video. The 372/346 did turn out very nice. I've decided to go forward with porting porting my 346-OE,
and have the clams to do it as well as one of the 372's, but can't decide weather to send the 372 or the 372xpw.
I also was originally concerned about the possibility of reduced longevity of a ported saw, but they seem to hold up
just fine from what I read on here. Decisions, Decisions....

Send the 372...

Send the 372...
I think you might be right.
The regular 372 is a early model year 2000 and already has a lot of use on it, but well maintained and still runs strong.
The XPW is still almost like new condition and is a 2009 model. you guys are probably right about not being too happy with the xpw once i get used running
the ported one. Finances dictate I can only do 1 of them for now.

Much truth in what you say. I love ported saws, but saws like the 7900 came from the factory ported.:msp_tongue: IMHO it has more to do with sloppy execution by the manufacturers than the EPA or anything else.

Anytime you raise power you more than likely shorten the lifespan of the engine. Hell you're removing the plating on the port chamfers.:dizzy: Sure you may get more wood on the ground, but lets be honest, who has the hard numbers on that? I honestly haven't seen anything 100% conclusive. IMHO the best thing you can do to a work saw is mod the muffler.:potstir:

The Devils advocate I play.:smile2:

Perfectly said, couldn't agree more.

But if one has to have a ported saw... mikes 372 comes to mind. I don't think they get any better, what a great running saw.

Back